Gibson Brands Forums

What Masterbilts are worth

brannon67

I talked to a dealer a couple of weeks ago about trading my two Masterbilts in(since sold them) to put down on a J45 Standard. He told me that he could not take the the Aj500's I had, because they are not worth anything on the market, and that there is not that much of a demend for them. Hmmmmm, ok. I really dont know what to believe about that.

I dont know why they do not sell well. I guess because most of them are refurbished, and really used or something, I dont know. Mayby people are fed up with China made stuff, and want to buy guitars only made in the USA. I dont know. Who knows. Something is going on with Epiphone, thats for sure.

Any guitar in the Sub $1000 range isn't going to appreciate in Value. I don't care how rare it is or whatever (unless its really old and perfect/Mint).

If you buy guitars NEW, hoping to sell them again someday and think your going to get your money back your mistaken. (I'm speaking of Asian made here folks). You can expect to get Half of what you paid for it. So yeah the 300-400 range you're seeing on EBay is about the right price for these. The only way to try and make money is to buy a perfect/mint used for cheap then sell for real value. But, we have to realize there are thousands of all solid wood guitars out there from China so why pay a premium for these? (take out the emotional Gibson/Epiphone loyalty Love/Hate thing).

But who knows, perhaps in a few mores years the ones that don't/hadn't had "issues" could be worth more. Epi just recently announced the discontinuation of most of the MB line so its too soon to tell right now what the worth/value will be.

As for me, Guitars are for buying, not selling. I plan on never selling my AJ500RC12. I'm going to take good care of her, yeah I'll play her but she goes back in her case when I'm done and I keep her properly humidified etc. (remember these are solid wood-ies) They don't wanna get too wet or too dry. And hopefully in another decade she'll sound better than she does now.

/.02cents

True, I agree with what you are saying, but its sad when you buy a guitar, and decide laer on to sell or trade it, and you only get a fraction of what you paid for it. But I guess its like anything else out there. Just some stuff holds its value(American) better then others, and the over seas stuff does not.

Think of it like renting the guitar. You pay $600 new. Then two years

later you sell it for $400. That's less than $10/month to have it in your

possession. If the guitar no longer provides the sound and feel to you that

it once did, then it's time to move on to something that does. Might as

well use the funds from it to get something you'll enjoy.

I have a Gibson SJ 200 Custom Elite.

And some other avesome guitars.

Now I am expecting my Masterbilt AJ500RS to come to me in monday (two days more)

I purchased it on e-bay manifacturer refurbished for some 530$.

I hope that this will be a great instrument and I hope that I will play on it long years from now one.

I buy my guitars to play on. Not to let them go.

And I suggest to others to do like I do msp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

Well, I dont buy my guitars to resell either. I was just making a statement about how much they depreciate when you walk out of the store with them. Like a car, etc. I guess anything made over seas(China) does not hold its value, like a US made item(here in the US anyway). So, no, I do not buy guitars with the intention to resell them. I just had the opportunity to get a Gibson J45 at a great price, and could not afford to keep the Masterbilts. Sad but thats the way it is.

Well, I dont buy my guitars to resell either. I was just making a statement about how much they depreciate when you walk out of the store with them. Like a car, etc. I guess anything made over seas(China) does not hold its value, like a US made item(here in the US anyway). So, no, I do not buy guitars with the intention to resell them. I just had the opportunity to get a Gibson J45 at a great price, and could not afford to keep the Masterbilts. Sad but thats the way it is.

You did the right thing. I f I have the oportunity to buy a Gibson J45 from a Gibson authorised dealer I would do the same (may be would keep the masterbilt). But here in my country (Bulgaria) there is no Gibsons at all. I purchased my SJ 200 3 years ago from e-bay and had big problems with the guitar (luckily I have a brilliant luthier for a friend ;-). But htere is no Gibson Shop here, so I would not buy a Gibson from e-bay no more ;-)

Matter f fact today my Masterbilt came in the house.

Well... No dings, good finish, bad set up.msp_sneaky.gif

It plays, but there are frets not exactly set up, and the top looks to me a little bit "-" curved just where the bridge is....

It will go to the luthier but after 2 weeks - now I put a "Tone Rite" on the strings to "move the guitar forward" and will play from time to time to see other bad thinds...

Handcrafteh in China is not a good handcrafted thing.....

Handcrafted in USA is much-much better!

Habdcrafted by my luthier Galin Penev is 100% brilliant crafted.msp_thumbup.gif

The Masterbuilts are fine guitars, but like MOST guitars they will depreciate. If value is a concern for you as you have made it a point here, then my suggestion is don't buy new, wait for the used market of a particular guitar to establish itself , then buy. And yes, it's true that the name on the headstock will carry a value at the time of resale, regardless of how good (or bad) the actual guitar may be... Exceptions will be scarcity of a particular model and/or the desire of the buyer to want a certain guitar regardless of brand.

The only guitar I ever bought new and sold for more $$ after owning it less than 2 years was my '09 50th Anniversary 1959 LP that I sold for $985.00 more than I paid for it. Again, a limited run guitar sought after by a buyer who wanted a particular model & finish after it was no longer available new (the exceptionto the rule for sure).

• 2 weeks later...

Any guitar in the Sub $1000 range isn't going to appreciate in Value. I don't care how rare it is or whatever (unless its really old and perfect/Mint).

If you buy guitars NEW, hoping to sell them again someday and think your going to get your money back your mistaken. (I'm speaking of Asian made here folks). You can expect to get Half of what you paid for it. So yeah the 300-400 range you're seeing on EBay is about the right price for these. The only way to try and make money is to buy a perfect/mint used for cheap then sell for real value. But, we have to realize there are thousands of all solid wood guitars out there from China so why pay a premium for these? (take out the emotional Gibson/Epiphone loyalty Love/Hate thing).

But who knows, perhaps in a few mores years the ones that don't/hadn't had "issues" could be worth more. Epi just recently announced the discontinuation of most of the MB line so its too soon to tell right now what the worth/value will be.

As for me, Guitars are for buying, not selling. I plan on never selling my AJ500RC12. I'm going to take good care of her, yeah I'll play her but she goes back in her case when I'm done and I keep her properly humidified etc. (remember these are solid wood-ies) They don't wanna get too wet or too dry. And hopefully in another decade she'll sound better than she does now.

/.02cents

Seems to happen when manufacturers increase prices too...

Well, it was to be expected I guess. Anyway, I got my J45 at a great price, so I guess everything worked out.

Congrats on your new J-45!.. Among my favorite acoustics ever! Were you able to play it before you bought it, or did you buy it online?

[thumbup]

Congrats on your new J-45!.. Among my favorite acoustics ever! Were you able to play it before you bought it, or did you buy it online?

Thanks. I bought it online. ZZounds had a 12 month payment plan. It came, I looked it over played it, and love it. It came set up ok, but I think I will have it tweaked. Never hurts. [thumbup]

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

read all the posts with interest and agree with all points. I own 3 Masterbilts, all wide nut models, 12th fret, EF500RA (now discontinued) & EF500RCCE. I had my eyes on them and was lucky to get them from authorised deal during sale times at discount. They are all really nice, look and play well (all post-set up) and I'm looking forward to keeping & playing them for a long time then handing them on to family. Why did I get them? well it started out with 'desiring' a Martin (Clapton) OM model, kept looking at price, saving a bit, but in the end could not justify those bucks (hobby player & family). Then I saw the EF500RA in the shop, the owner also let me check out a Martin OM, yes it was v.nice but the Masterbilt was 'awesome' for the price. Still happy with it and the others, yes I'm probably afflicted with GAS and if club together all the Epi's I could get a nice Gibson, but they all give me fun, have them tuned different etc.

Agree with all the posts, I can't imagine they will increase in value, I didn't buy them for that, if so, I should still be saving for the clapton OM, but then I'd have missed the last 3 years of fun with my Masterbilts. And now I've got a few guitars to hang on the wall that look nice, and then hand on to my son-in laws and grandchildren.

PS. I think some Epi's increase in value, my son-in law bought a limited edition Slash LP Epiphone model, v.nice. They are all long gone sold out now, he has seen them for sale mint 2nd hand for more than he paid, because people missed out, they want them? I suppose.

We get some nice American made guitars over here, but I don't think the 2nd hand opportunity market would be as good as in the USA, it would be nice to check out shops with loads of vintage acoustics, they are few and far here.

A bit of 'rambling', but my take on it all is "if you like it, buy it, enjoy it", if you worry about is it going to increase in value, then you gotta take the 'emotive' out of the purchase. Enough ramble, enjoy, all the best, Mike

• 2 weeks later...

What is a Masterbuilt worth? I say priceless! I own a Masterbuilt AJ500R round shoulder rosewood. It plays better then my $3000 Taylor 815ce, and every bit as good as my $3300 Martin J-40 Jumbo rosewood. If I had to keep just one, it would be the $599 Rosewood Masterbuilt. It's a guitar that INSTANTLY bonds with you. They are discontinued now. And I can tell you personally, I would not sell mine if I was offered $1800 for it! And you can bank on that! My MB can not be replaced, and is a delight to own for life. I will own it long after the other gaudy overpriced guitars are gone. --Anyone with an ear for tone and sound quality will tell you immediately that these guitars will be worth money some day in the future, for they are one of a kind for the price....but they are NOT getting MY Masterbuilt. that's for sure !And I doubt that many other MB owners will want to sell their Masterbuilts as well. Mine will never be for sale. I will not give it up!These guitars are destined to be rare, and remembered for their value and quality 100 years from now...and it is my EARS that tell me this for sure. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

What is a Masterbuilt worth? I say priceless! I own a Masterbuilt AJ500R round shoulder rosewood. It plays better then my $3000 Taylor 815ce, and every bit as good as my $3300 Martin J-40 Jumbo rosewood. If I had to keep just one, it would be the $599 Rosewood Masterbuilt. It's a guitar that INSTANTLY bonds with you. They are discontinued now. And I can tell you personally, I would not sell mine if I was offered $1800 for it! And you can bank on that! My MB can not be replaced, and is a delight to own for life. I will own it long after the other gaudy overpriced guitars are gone. --Anyone with an ear for tone and sound quality will tell you immediately that these guitars will be worth money some day in the future, for they are one of a kind for the price....but they are NOT getting MY Masterbuilt. that's for sure !And I doubt that many other MB owners will want to sell their Masterbuilts as well. Mine will never be for sale. I will not give it up!These guitars are destined to be rare, and remembered for their value and quality 100 years from now...and it is my EARS that tell me this for sure. Good luck!

Amen to that! My DR500mce is here to stay and play. I'd give up my Martin OM before the Masterbilt, and that's saying a heckuva lot.

True, I agree with what you are saying, but its sad when you buy a guitar, and decide laer on to sell or trade it, and you only get a fraction of what you paid for it. But I guess its like anything else out there. Just some stuff holds its value(American) better then others, and the over seas stuff does not.

I know this may not be entirely relevant, but having worked part time at a music store in my home town some 10 yeas ago, a trade in is considered a two way transaction for a store. They'd much rather SELL what they've got in stock, and not take a trade IN to push a new one OUT the door.

Stores will low ball customers on trades, and then sell that piece on average for twice what they allowed on the trade.

These numbers aren't a perfect science of course, but it's what I saw on average. We'd always urge customers that it was better to try and sell out right, and at least get close to what the piece was worth (+/- 50/75 bucks.

Some people would get pissy about it and walk out grumbling that we were jerks, but in the end we were just trying to be honest when they would question the trade in allowance (which was almost always based off the Blue Book, then rounded "down" from there).

Here in east Texas they are generally selling used on CL for around $350 if they are in good condition. I bought one DR500M for $200, but it had some cosmetic issues. My DR500P I paid $400 for used (probably too much), but it had been professionally setup by a luthier before I bought it and I really like the tone.

I would love to find a used DR500R, rosewood. I have the Mahogany and maple, just need to complete the trio.

There is a 500R for sale at a local shop, but they want $600 for it, which is more than I want to spend.

Todd

I just bought a dr500p off of CL in the St.Louis area for 225. It had been on there for a while and ha been reduced from a higher price. I think they are not as popular in this area as they are elsewhere for some reason. It is a great guitar.

I just bought a dr500p off of CL in the St.Louis area for 225. It had been on there for a while and ha been reduced from a higher price. I think they are not as popular in this area as they are elsewhere for some reason. It is a great guitar.

Great buy on a great (and hard to find) guitar. Good for you.

Red 333

Archived