Gibson Brands Forums

My Gibson SG GT, Rare?

Jakbo

Hey Guitar Lovers!

I'm new here, so firstly hello to everyone.

I've got a few guitars and I like knowing as much about them as I can (kinda a good way to justify to other people why I need MORE!). I have this 2007 Gibson SG GT, which I understand was only made for 2 years due to it being so unpopular (although I can't really see why. I kinda like the racing stripes and all the chrome). Does anyone know how many of these guitars were actually made? When I bought it in 2008, i had no idea that it had been discontinued, but the guitar shop owner was glad to get it out of his shop since he couldn't sell it all year. why are they so unpopular? The specs are incredible (for the price anyway) and lets face it, who doesn't like the symmetry. The specs on it (some of them) are:

Body & Hardware:

Mahogany Body

Chrome hardware

Chrome Tune-o-matic bridge

Chrome Knurl Knobs

Neck & Headstock:

Mahogany Neck

22 fret Ebony fingerboard, Width at 12th fret 2.062"

Pearloid Trapezoid inlays

Single-ply Fingerboard Binding

Classic ’61 SG neck profile

Locking metal button Grover tuners tuners

Electronics:

Neck Pickups: 490R Alnico magnet humbucker

Bridge Pickups: 498T Alnico magnet humbucker

Controls: 2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way switch

Also as a bonus, the coils can be split.

any discussion is great and appreciated.

post-41086-075189300 1330243918_thumb.jpg

post-41086-067121500 1330243936_thumb.jpg

post-41086-061850200 1330243961_thumb.jpg

post-41086-081093100 1330243979_thumb.jpg

post-41086-060565600 1330243996_thumb.jpg

Hello and Welcome to the forum

The sg gt is a cool axe, i think it's the stop-bar that some don't like. I never can settle if i like this stop-bar design or not, but it is this that does it special.

Yeah I've heard that people didn't like this feature.... I don't know why myself, it's kinda one of the things that makes it so unique. Lots of people who didn't like it will regret not getting one. The thing is, it's showy, but it's also a great stage guitar. I personally couldn't see the down side and for $1800, it was the most affordable Gibson I could find brand new.

Several Gibsons are less than $1800 new! :huh: The SG Standard is $1200. A Les Paul Studio is $1300. A Midtown Custom is $1500. Then there are many models priced well under $1000. :) Nevertheless, you have a nice guitar, and they are fairly rare because most SG players don't own a SG GT [wink]

Several Gibsons are less than $1800 new! :huh: The SG Standard is $1200. A Les Paul Studio is $1300. A Midtown Custom is $1500. Then there are many models priced well under $1000. :) Nevertheless, you have a nice guitar, and they are fairly rare because most SG players don't own a SG GT [wink]

Yeah I guess there are cheaper guitars, but that's not quite what I meant by 'affordable'... I meant more that I fell in love with it. Also In the guitar shops near where I live, there isn't any Gibson dealers, mostly fender, so it really stood out to me. I heard somewhere that there wasn't that many made, does anyone know approximate figures?

where was I when they made these?? that's a mighty cool SG !!!

Well they were made in 2006 and 2007, so where were you then? you can still occasionally find them for sale as second hand for anywhere between 1200 and 1800 dollars.

I still haven't heard back from Gibson and it's been a few days... has anyone had experience with them in therms of how long it takes to reply?

• 8 months later...

Archived