Gibson Brands Forums

Moose, have you seen this!!

frenchie1281734003

Just a heads up for Moose, if he hasn`t spotted it already.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320855489938?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Steve.

Steve:

Thanks a heap for your very appreciated heads up-I did miss this one on EBay Very unusual history to say the least-especially

because it is missing the large, signifying pick guard, has an early Frontier model guard and has chrome tuners rather than the gold ones that came on other Excellentes.

Regards,

Moose

Yes I noticed the differences too Moose, but the owner did say he got it at an end of 60s, Gibson yard sale, which leads me to believe it may have been a carcass that had been lying around, and then finished with whatever parts were left, once Gibson dropped the Epiphone line, and wanted to get rid of remaining stock.

The pickguard looks like a late 60s screwed on smaller Texan/Eldorado type, as used in 68/9.

Sorry you missed out!

Steve.

Yes I noticed the differences too Moose, but the owner did say he got it at an end of 60s, Gibson yard sale, which leads me to believe it may have been a carcass that had been lying around, and then finished with whatever parts were left, once Gibson dropped the Epiphone line, and wanted to get rid of remaining stock.

The pickguard looks like a late 60s screwed on smaller Texan/Eldorado type, as used in 68/9.

Sorry you missed out!

Steve.

Thanks again Steve for your good thoughts and very interesting observations -I agree with you about this particular guitar-judging by the low bidding

on it, the bidders apparently also had their own reservations about it.

Regards,

Moose

P.S. I would love to see a photo of the inside label if it had one.

Sorry I did not check in earlier - the listing ended yesterday. It was a '67 Frontier and went for $2K.

It`s back on ebay now Zomby, only this time they want $10,000!!! I would gues by the big pickguard it is more likely to be a 63/64 model, with one of those serial numbers that they re-used in 67. All the same though, even if it was pristine which it definitely isn`t, it`s not worth $10,000.

Steve.

It`s back on ebay now Zomby, only this time they want $10,000!!! I would gues by the big pickguard it is more likely to be a 63/64 model, with one of those serial numbers that they re-used in 67. All the same though, even if it was pristine which it definitely isn`t, it`s not worth $10,000.

Steve.

Steve:

Wonderous offerings such as this 10K Frontier never cease to amaze. Hopefully some where there is a nice quiet final resting place for rediculosly overpriced guitars - Great idea-maybe we should start a RENT-A-CRYPT.

Regards,

Moose

But that kinda scratch can get you into an early 1960s Hummingbird with money left jingling in your pocket.

But I do admit when I started hungering for an HB I decided I could save myself a ton of cash by going the Frontier route. Lawdy was I in for a surprise.

$3000 from Elderly for a Frontier with rope'n'cactus? A snip!

The Epi version of the HB is the Eldorado.The Frontier is the forerunner to the Dove,

but with birdseye maple instead of flame & no tune-o-matic.Poor man's Gibson?

Tell it to Macca,Graham Nash,Peter Frampton-all Texan owners.

Archived