Gibson Brands Forums

Burstbucker Pro Bridge TOO Bright!!!

bluezguy

I keep reading people complaining about bb pros! I dig mine! There is a little out of balance with them yes! Ice Picky? No! I've read about 100 weird contradicting posts on these pickups. They are the reason I recently purchased a Standard. If I didn't like the tone, it would have just been another pretty burst! I also tried out two of them and, both of them were made in 2010. They both sounded great and, the second one, I found the tone irresistable. Everytime I plug it in I've managed to get a nice tone without going nuts, just with a little control adjustments from both guitar and amp. Alot of people do have the complain that they are far too bright. I'm getting a sweet sound out of mine. I wonder if there have been batches of these that were too bright for some reason?

I also found the BurstBucker Pros in my LP Studio Satin to be a bit too bright in the bridge. Also had a bit too much low end in the neck.

I simply lowered the treble side on the bridge pickup, then lowered the bass side on the neck pickup. I then raised the other ends of the pickups to suit my needs. Problem solved.

That guitar is effin' *****in', now.

• 8 months later...

I own a 2003 Standard with BB Pros. Imo these are pretty bright sounding pickups when all the guitar knobs are on 10, but I'm the type who usually has both of the guitar volume knobs down at around 7 and that cuts some of the treble right from the start. For the BB Pro bridge pickup in particular, I usually also turn the town down to about 7.

I own a 2003 Standard with BB Pros. Imo these are pretty bright sounding pickups when all the guitar knobs are on 10, but I'm the type who usually has both of the guitar volume knobs down at around 7 and that cuts some of the treble right from the start. For the BB Pro bridge pickup in particular, I usually also turn the tone knob down to about 7.

I have a 2002, I didn't like the stock pups either, after a long debate on "Should I / Shouldn't I" bought a set of Duncans, (SH1 neck JB bridge) added CTS pots removed the 50s wiring and added a treble bleed circuit on both volume controls,

improved the sound of this guitar substantially.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

500 should be a bit darker than the 300......You could also lower the height of the bridge PU.........

I liked Damian's second suggestion. Move the damn pick up away from the strings a bit. Theres a lot of tone to be found, and it costs nothing. (assuming you have a screw driver).

When my bridge pu is cutting too harshly, I often find myself setting the toggle switch in the middle position, and fading in the neck pick-up ever-so-slightly. If that doesn't do it, a slight roll of the tone knobs usually gets the job done.

All bridge pickups are too bright for me. But this is what I do too. Switch in the middle and roll the neck pup in n out

• 2 years later...

500 should be a bit darker than the 300......You could also lower the height of the bridge PU.........

Hey Damian, Quote, "Rock and Roll forever man" unquote, Thomas Chong, 1968. That thing about god and Jimmy page, Loved it! I'm also a MENSA member, tested by and brought in by the late, great Margot Seittleman herself May 18th, 1960. Now what, in your opinion, are the best covered pickups for a 1998 Gibson Les Paul Classic Heritage Sunburst?

• 4 months later...

I am the owner of a 2004 standard plus loaded with bb pros. Always had problems to find out a good set up for those pickups. Tried almoat everything: adjust the height, adjust the screws, swap the stock 300k pots with 500 audio taper ones, replace the ceramic caps with sprague orange drops. And always there was something that left me not so happy. Bb pro are good pickups, noy great pickups IMO and don 't know why gibson puts them in the higher position in boutique market. They have lack of personality. Ended up throwing them in a drawer and replacing them with 490r and 498t (modified: 498t with a A8 magnet and 490r with a A5 magnet). And now my lester has a killer sound

I am the owner of a 2004 standard plus loaded with bb pros. Always had problems to find out a good set up for those pickups. Tried almoat everything: adjust the height, adjust the screws, swap the stock 300k pots with 500 audio taper ones, replace the ceramic caps with sprague orange drops. And always there was something that left me not so happy. Bb pro are good pickups, noy great pickups IMO and don 't know why gibson puts them in the higher position in boutique market. They have lack of personality. Ended up throwing them in a drawer and replacing them with 490r and 498t (modified: 498t with a A8 magnet and 490r with a A5 magnet). And now my lester has a killer sound

Moving from 300 to 500 would have had the opposite effect you were looking for, a 250 would have cut some treble, as for the caps, if you switched using the same values you wouldnt have got any treble cut either. Lower value pot and higher value caps will cut treble. But your happy now so that matters.

Johnny

What is your music style? Jazz? Classic Rock? Heavy Metal?

Ive seen people put A5 in the 490R because a lot of people just swap the magnet in the 490 to the 498 and vice versa but Ive never seen anyone use A8. Interesting change you made.

Moving from 300 to 500 would have had the opposite effect you were looking for, a 250 would have cut some treble, as for the caps, if you switched using the same values you wouldnt have got any treble cut either. Lower value pot and higher value caps will cut treble. But your happy now so that matters.

Johnny

You are right. the greater is the value of the pot the brighter is the pickup. the first step was to improve the sound of the guitar (I had no intention to change pickups). but even after all the changes I made, the sound did not satisfy me. So decided to swap humbuckers

Ive seen people put A5 in the 490R because a lot of people just swap the magnet in the 490 to the 498 and vice versa but Ive never seen anyone use A8. Interesting change you made.

Really interesting. I just researched and found A8 magnets have lower field strength than A5.

What is your music style? Jazz? Classic Rock? Heavy Metal?

I play anything between Bonamassa and Emperor. Check the seymour duncan forum, you will find a lot of users with a great acknowledgement in humbuckers mods. The 498T with A8 is simply wonderfull

Archived