Gibson Brands Forums

Burstbucker Pro Bridge TOO Bright!!!

bluezguy

My 2003 LP Standard suffers from one problem and one problem only ... the bridge pup cuts like an ice pick. I've put in an expensive .015uf oil & paper copper cap and that really did nothing. I have it set up with the '57 wiring but am still using the 300k Gibson pot.

I have a new, high quality, long-shaft 500k pot BUT knowledge tells me that will increase treble slightly - not 'tame' the pickup down.

What say you guys???

My 2003 LP Standard suffers from one problem and one problem only ... the bridge pup cuts like an ice pick. I've put in an expensive .015uf oil & paper copper cap and that really did nothing. I have it set up with the '57 wiring but am still using the 300k Gibson pot.

I have a new, high quality, long-shaft 500k pot BUT knowledge tells me that will increase treble slightly - not 'tame' the pickup down.

What say you guys???

This is why I don't care for BB pros, and I suspect that is why you find nylon saddles on the bridges of the Joe Bonnamassa guitars. about the only cure I've found, is change the magnet from an A5 to something else, I use A2 mags, making them a regular BB, but, potted. Or, you could do like JB and use nylon saddles on the 3 high strings.

In most cases, I really prefer the 57 classic+, much smoother, and no high end bite.

This is why I don't care for BB pros, and I suspect that is why you find nylon saddles on the bridges of the Joe Bonnamassa guitars. about the only cure I've found, is change the magnet from an A5 to something else, I use A2 mags, making them a regular BB, but, potted. Or, you could do like JB and use nylon saddles on the 3 high strings.

In most cases, I really prefer the 57 classic+, much smoother, and no high end bite.

Very well stated..........Good advice a well................[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] .....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

Turning down a tone control is not what I'm interested in ... that's for other people's kids. My goal is to have the guitar itself in wide open position tonally satisfying .. then, and only then, do the rest of the knobs and things matter.

BB1 and BB2 pups arrived from MF. We'll see ... I will succeed in my quest and it will be with Gibson parts. [cool]

You guys will be in the 'loop'

Thanks!

Thanks guys!

Turning down a tone control is not what I'm interested in ... that's for other people's kids. My goal is to have the guitar itself in wide open position tonally satisfying .. then, and only then, do the rest of the knobs and things matter.

BB1 and BB2 pups arrived from MF. We'll see ... I will succeed in my quest and it will be with Gibson parts. [cool]

You guys will be in the 'loop'

Thanks!

'Wide open" is only a figure of speech...in reality, there is no such setting in which the pots and caps are out of the circuit.

The idea that the sound is better or more pure at full up is a misconception.

The way a guitar is wired, the pot gives resistance to ground. '0' or off is a dead short, or, grounded out. Turning it up gives a resistance to being grounded. The more RESISTANCE you can apply toward a short, the more signal can pass. This is why a 500k pot is louder than a 300k pot.

Full up on the volume is nothing more than the maximum of the pot, the limit. It is not any less part of the circuit if it is full up, 3/4 or halfway. Full up on the pot just means you have hit the physical limit of how much you can effect the pot onto the signal.

The tone control is very much the same thing, but with a cap. A capacitor BLOCKS lows, and lets highs pass through. It seems the opposite, but what it is doing is grounding out the highs. The tone pot is acting like a second volume control. Full 'off' is essentailly hearing the effect the cap has 100% of the time on the circuit, full on is letting as much of the UNAFFECTED signal pass in addition. Again, just to the physical limits of the pot. THE CAP AND TONE POT ARE ALWAYS IN THE CIRCUIT!

Basically, having the overall "tone" of the guitar where you like it at full up my be a convenience. But you don't need to think that turning down the volume or tone pots is a compromise to the 'tone' or quality of the signal. Or that a guitar will sound less good set up that way.

Turning down a tone control is not what I'm interested in ... that's for other people's kids. My goal is to have the guitar itself in wide open position tonally satisfying .. then, and only then, do the rest of the knobs and things matter. Thanks!

Mindblowing! All this time I've been using the volume and tone controls to get different sounds and now, after many years, I learn I didn't have to do that! What an idiot I've been! And think of all the money saved by not having those "kid" controls - I can just hardwire all the pickups directly into the switch and rip out all of the pots and caps! Genius!

Now, how do I plug up those four holes? [confused]

Mindblowing! All this time I've been using the volume and tone controls to get different sounds and now, after many years, I learn I didn't have to do that! What an idiot I've been! And think of all the money saved by not having those "kid" controls - I can just hardwire all the pickups directly into the switch and rip out all of the pots and caps! Genius!

Now, how do I plug up those four holes? [confused]

With Flintstone Vitamins.............[thumbup]:rolleyes:[smile] .....This thread gives new meaning to, " Kid, I don't like your tone...." [blink] ....

• 2 weeks later...

You could turn the tone knob counter clockwise about 90 degrees. [blink]

just bought a set of burstbucker pro....they are a big disapointment...way to bright for me..out the come....

It might not be the pup for you. But while it is in, you might do some experimenting.

Rther than submit to the shock and disappiontment that it sounds different than you wanted it to, finding out more about the why and what might help you down the road.

It might not be the pup for you. But while it is in, you might do some experimenting.

Rther than submit to the shock and disappiontment that it sounds different than you wanted it to, finding out more about the why and what might help you down the road.

ok update..i changed the magnet to a alnico 2...added a orange drop 047...sute helped this pickup...i left the neck pickup..stock..i can live with this set now...

• 3 weeks later...

'Wide open" is only a figure of speech...in reality, there is no such setting in which the pots and caps are out of the circuit.

The idea that the sound is better or more pure at full up is a misconception.

The way a guitar is wired, the pot gives resistance to ground. '0' or off is a dead short, or, grounded out. Turning it up gives a resistance to being grounded. The more RESISTANCE you can apply toward a short, the more signal can pass. This is why a 500k pot is louder than a 300k pot.

Full up on the volume is nothing more than the maximum of the pot, the limit. It is not any less part of the circuit if it is full up, 3/4 or halfway. Full up on the pot just means you have hit the physical limit of how much you can effect the pot onto the signal.

The tone control is very much the same thing, but with a cap. A capacitor BLOCKS lows, and lets highs pass through. It seems the opposite, but what it is doing is grounding out the highs. The tone pot is acting like a second volume control. Full 'off' is essentially hearing the effect the cap has 100% of the time on the circuit, full on is letting as much of the UNAFFECTED signal pass in addition. Again, just to the physical limits of the pot. THE CAP AND TONE POT ARE ALWAYS IN THE CIRCUIT!

Basically, having the overall "tone" of the guitar where you like it at full up my be a convenience. But you don't need to think that turning down the volume or tone pots is a compromise to the 'tone' or quality of the signal. Or that a guitar will sound less good set up that way.

Sincerely thanks for this info. I never thought about this to test the cap effect. But I have a question for you. I just installed a Burstbucker 2 in the lead position of my standard SG and replaced both the pots and cap with "allparts" brand. .22 orange cap. I already read the difference between these pots and the Gibsons so I have 2 500k pots on order to put in. My new pickup up just seems to not have the sustain and warmth it should have. So once I go back to the Gibson 500k pots should I hear more warmth in my new pickup again in the lead position. Its installed properly and quiet as a mouse without playing. Hope you see this.thanks

• 8 months later...

just bought a set of burstbucker pro....they are a big disapointment...way to bright for me..out the come....

I agree. I just bought a new Diablo and was like, "what the heck is wrong with this". The pick ups are strange..too much highs for the bridge, not enough distinction (really muddy. And now after reading numerous reviews, I understand these pickups can often sound bad. Now I'm just not sure of I return the guitar for a refund or buy a set of pickups for a new guitar i just spend a bunch of money on. GIBSON: Do you have any suggestions??

Archived