Gibson Guitar Board: PAT NO. 2,737,842 - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

PAT NO. 2,737,842 Classic '57 pickup with a "Thin" sound?

#1 User is offline   Toubab 

• Group: Members

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:27 AM

Hi everybody, I have a classic '57 neck pickup on my Gibson ES175D, year 1988, that sounds incredibly "thin" and metallic, and not "fat" as on the other Gibson 175 I tried out. I purchased the guitar second hand, but neither me, not the previous owner (he told me so), we have never changed the original pickups. What can be the reason? Do you think that I should replace the pickup? A photo is attached

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: P1040563.jpg

#2 User is offline   pippy 

• LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:17 AM

Hi there and welcome.

Firstly, according to Gibson's website, the '57 Classic pickup wasn't introduced until 1992; so if your guitar is from '88 and has the original p-ups then it can't be a '57 Classic.

That serial number was used on the majority of Gibson's humbuckers for decades. It was the original Pat No. for the PAF's (actually it was for the trapeze tailpiece - but that's another story).

As to the problem; have you checked the wiring from the p-up to the pots and switch? It might simply be a dodgy bit of soldering. It could be a faulty potentiometer. Check the output from the p-up if you can - to narrow down where the problem originates. Once you know whether the problem lies with the p-up or any other part of the wiring harness it will become easier to trace the cause of the problem

Good luck!

P.

#3 User is offline   Toubab 

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:35 AM

View Postpippy, on 28 February 2012 - 04:17 AM, said:

Hi there and welcome.

Firstly, according to Gibson's website, the '57 Classic pickup wasn't introduced until 1992; so if your guitar is from '88 and has the original p-ups then it can't be a '57 Classic.

That serial number was used on the majority of Gibson's humbuckers for decades. It was the original Pat No. for the PAF's (actually it was for the trapeze tailpiece - but that's another story).

As to the problem; have you checked the wiring from the p-up to the pots and switch? It might simply be a dodgy bit of soldering. It could be a faulty potentiometer. Check the output from the p-up if you can - to narrow down where the problem originates. Once you know whether the problem lies with the p-up or any other part of the wiring harness it will become easier to trace the cause of the problem

Good luck!

P.

Thank you very much for your help. In any case I haven't noticed any reduction in volume, I imagine that if the reason was a dodgy bit of soldering or a faulty potentiometer, also the output volume should be low. By the way I will follow your indications. Concerning my pickup, do you have any idea on what model it is? Should it be better or sound nicely than the classic 57?

#4 User is offline   damian 

• The Guitar Whisperer
  • LocationIn The Misty Mountains With My Black Dog

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:57 PM

Perhaps a Gibby employee will chime in..........

( I'll post my info after one does...).....
I use Atlas Stands because they are the best................. http://www.facebook.com/atlasstands ......American Made.......Rewind Pickups; MIA and the Best.......
.....................Codtone Pedals from OZ......................................." Ya'll remove hats, please "...................................Motor City Pickups......................................
.................................." I hate it when people compare god with jimmy page, I mean, he's good and all, but he's no jimmy page."..................................
Music Consultant, Songwriter........................................ - THE MENSA PRETZEL LOGIC PROJECT - .............................. Advocate for the Disabled, Gentle Hellraiser.

" It occured to me by intuition, and music was the driving force behind that intuition. My discovery was the result of musical perception." Einstein on his theory of relativity.
" Music is a higher relevation than all wisdom and philosophy. Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents." Ludwig von Beethoven
" There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.' Johann Sebastian Bach
" Playing scales is like a boxer skipping rope or a punching bag. It's not the thing itself; it's preparatory to the activity." Barney Kessel
" After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Hoxley
" There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have crossed this line." Pianist Oscar Lavant
" Music came before language; musical grunts became words." Damian (copyright)
" I know how to get there, all I've got to do is keep playing." Jimmy Page
" Without music, life would be a mistake." Friedrich Nietzsche
" Music is an outburst of the soul." Fredrick Deluis
" Rock and Roll forever, man." Unknown
" Damian's cool." NeoConMan
" WTF ??? " dem00n
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   pfox14 

• BANNED

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:30 PM

You can look at the original patent here: http://www.google.co...ved=0CDQQ6AEwAA

As you will see this was originally Gibson's patent for the combined bridge & Tailpiece as used on the early LPs and ES-295s. It has nothing to do with PUs. My understanding is Gibson uses this patent number on PUs as a way of preventing people from copying the design, but I have no idea if that works or not.

#6 User is offline   bluezguy 

• HazBin .. WillBe
  • LocationGulf Coast Florida

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

My guess is that someone's been inside the pup before. The clumsy soldering job seems to guide my thoughts ...
Gibson ES-335 2006 Dot Re-Issue Fingured Top !!!
Gibson Firebird V 2004.
Gibson SG Standard 2005
Gibson LP Standard Plus 2003
2 Gibson T-Shirts - large

#7 User is offline   Toubab 

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:48 AM

View Postbluezguy, on 01 March 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

My guess is that someone's been inside the pup before. The clumsy soldering job seems to guide my thoughts ...

Problem solved! It was a faulty potentiometer (thank you Pippy for your support). Now it works fine. BTW, I am curious to know exactly what P-UP model my guitar mounts up. I think that this substantially is the same technology of PAF P-UPs, maybe is a "T bucker", but I haven't removed the pickup cover and I can't verify.
Detailed infos on PAF pickups are here: http://home.provide.net/~cfh/paf.html

#8 User is offline   damian 

• The Guitar Whisperer
  • LocationIn The Misty Mountains With My Black Dog

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

Tim Shaw era T-Top.....
I use Atlas Stands because they are the best................. http://www.facebook.com/atlasstands ......American Made.......Rewind Pickups; MIA and the Best.......
.....................Codtone Pedals from OZ......................................." Ya'll remove hats, please "...................................Motor City Pickups......................................
.................................." I hate it when people compare god with jimmy page, I mean, he's good and all, but he's no jimmy page."..................................
Music Consultant, Songwriter........................................ - THE MENSA PRETZEL LOGIC PROJECT - .............................. Advocate for the Disabled, Gentle Hellraiser.

" It occured to me by intuition, and music was the driving force behind that intuition. My discovery was the result of musical perception." Einstein on his theory of relativity.
" Music is a higher relevation than all wisdom and philosophy. Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents." Ludwig von Beethoven
" There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.' Johann Sebastian Bach
" Playing scales is like a boxer skipping rope or a punching bag. It's not the thing itself; it's preparatory to the activity." Barney Kessel
" After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Hoxley
" There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have crossed this line." Pianist Oscar Lavant
" Music came before language; musical grunts became words." Damian (copyright)
" I know how to get there, all I've got to do is keep playing." Jimmy Page
" Without music, life would be a mistake." Friedrich Nietzsche
" Music is an outburst of the soul." Fredrick Deluis
" Rock and Roll forever, man." Unknown
" Damian's cool." NeoConMan
" WTF ??? " dem00n
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic