Gibson Brands Forums

Post your 1960's Gibsons!

JimR56

It's really, really hard to date by hardware details, particularly in the transition years from '65-'69. Witch hats and chrome hardware actually started in '65, by my sources. I'm pretty sure all of the 335-12's would have one-piece mahogany necks, like mine. The straight 335 started multi-piece necks in '69, but since the 12 uses an entirely different neck, I don't know that this change would ever have been made in the 12. Since 12-string production crashed after the 1967 peak, they were probably using up earlier necks throughout the production run.

As close as I can tell, the pot code is the 11th week of 1968. I can plainly see the 11 & the 8. The 6 should be a no brainer. 1376811. I bought it in October of 1998, that explains my memory loss! In the book, "Gibson Electrics, The Classic Years" By A.R.Duchossoir, it said a five piece, laminated mahogany neck was not introduced until mid 1968. It looks like my neck is one piece. That must be what I remember reading, I had it bookmarked, most likely from when I was stewing over buying it............

ES-33512Neck.jpg

In this photo, it does kind of look laminated, it's a tough call, what do you think?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Witch hats started in late '66 or early '67, according to my sources, memory, and experiences.

Just as a random test, I just went to George Gruhn's inventory page. None of his '65's and '66's have witch hats; all of his '67's, 68's have them.

My findings are the same............

As close as I can tell, the pot code is the 11th week of 1968. I can plainly see the 11 & the 8. The 6 should be a no brainer. 1376811. I bought it in October of 1998, that explains my memory loss! In the book, "Gibson Electrics, The Classic Years" By A.R.Duchossoir, it said a five piece, laminated mahogany neck was not introduced until mid 1968. It looks like my neck is one piece. That must be what I remember reading, I had it bookmarked, most likely from when I was stewing over buying it............

In this photo, it does kind of look laminated, it's a tough call, what do you think?

I think it's laminated, but it can be really hard to tell with mahogany. 1968 must be an odd year, with strange combinations of features and serial numbers!

The nut width on my '65 Sheraton measures 1-10/16".

Thanks. I know the earlier ones varied quite a bit (the nut on my '62 is almost 1 3/4"... I think it's 1 11.7/16), but I wasn't sure what occurred post- '63.

• 3 weeks later...

DSCN0849-1.jpg

Here's my 1964 Melody Maker.

A '64 eh? Here's mine below, it's of the two-pickup sunburst variety. What's your serial? Mine's 236862. Pot codes put it after September of '64.

llmFy.jpg

(forgive the bad quality, I'm waiting for my good pics to come back from the photographer)

Sorry for the bad photo (just scanned some old prints). Here's a 1964 Super 400CES that I bought from a famous player (maybe it would be fun to take guesses) back in the mid 80's:

64S400RF.jpg

The famous player in question had used it on recordings and in live performance during the 70's.

Slim, he's not as famous as those three. His fame has grown steadily over the years, but let's just say that he wasn't as famous while he was using the Super 400. He has played a variety of guitars since, including his own artist model, made by a major company.

Still alive, yes. Quite "famous", in guitar circles at least, but what I meant was that he wasn't hugely famous in the 70's (especially earlier 70's), when he was still using the Super 400. Some of his biggest fans don't even seem to know that he ever had a Super 400, but only because they aren't hip to his early years (he was working with some big names at the time).

American, about 60 years old now, I think. Don't want to give it away too easily [flapper] , so I won't mention musical genres yet, but... he's very versatile.

Nope, the mystery player is a few years older than Metheny, and has delved into more genres (not someone who would be labeled as a "jazz guitarist", in fact he didn't start out playing jazz). Don't mean to torture you, but I figured I'd give others a chance before I reveal... :)

Nope, the mystery player is a few years older than Metheny, and has delved into more genres (not someone who would be labeled as a "jazz guitarist", in fact he didn't start out playing jazz). Don't mean to torture you, but I figured I'd give others a chance before I reveal... :)

robert cray? Although did he ever play jazz? Maybe Lee Ritenuer?

robert cray? Although did he ever play jazz? Maybe Lee Ritenuer?

No, but you're on the right track in both cases (that's what I meant about him being versatile). You're also getting warmer geographically with those two guesses. :)

Archived