Gibson Brands Forums

Changing Schaller's for Gibson 57's

Threaders75

Hi. I am pretty new here, but wanted to ask your advice on a couple of things. This is my 175, which is from the 70's Cant be to sure exactly as it has a 7 digit serial stamped in the headstock.

100_1366.jpg

My luthier, told me it had schallers in it and not gibsons and as I find the tone a little too mid range on the neck pick up, I wondered if it would be worth while swapping the neck pick up for a 57? [thumbup]

100_1367.jpg

Also wondered if the schaller's would be worth anything, as I wont need them if I change. Any advice would be greatly appreciated [smile]

Hi. I will get round to that. I have a few gigs coming soon, so didnt want to dismantle it before then, as knowing me, I wont be able to get it all back together [thumbup]

Just take of the strings and unscrew the mounting rings [smile]

you don't even have to cut any wires of any kind :D

I would like to tyr doing this myself. Anyone got a link or any info. It seems I have to take out all the electonincs, but was hoping you chould just cut the wire on the pick up and re solder??

Let me know if thats a bad idea or if there is a post somewhere on here. Thanks again for all your help and info [thumbup]

It seems I have to take out all the electonincs, but was hoping you chould just cut the wire on the pick up and re solder??

That's totally doable :) don't cut all the wire though if you wanna sell it sometime in the future :)

Like you said, you can just cut the old wires and solder on the new pickup :)

Now, I'm not sure if the '57s are single conductor w/ a braid for ground, that

might be a little trickier to work with [unsure] let me know when you've

gotten the new ones :)

Thanks for that info. There are a couple ending on ebay in the next week so if I win one, I will let you know. Nothing mentioned in the listng about earthing, but have plenty of wire with them. Man thanks for your help and advice though, much appreciated [thumbup]

Those Schaller pickups (Golden 50's) were also used by Kramer in the earlier years (80's),

before they went to Seymour Duncans. They were double black bobbins, in most cases,

but also some zebra. They are 4 conductor wiring, in a odd color scheme, not the

familiar W/B/R/G that Duncan and DiMarzio use. I definitely would suggest NOT cutting

the wires at the pickups! If you don't want to try dropping all the electronics yourself,

it would be smart money spent to have your local repair guy/gal do it for you. [thumbup]

I definitely would suggest NOT cutting

the wires at the pickups! If you don't want to try dropping all the electronics yourself,

it would be smart money spent to have your local repair guy/gal do it for you. [thumbup]

That's what I said, wasn't it? ;)

Anyway, why spend the extra money on a 5min job you could do

just as good yourself? A solder is a solder, not some kind of magic ;)

Hi. Thanks for your info chaps. I lost out on the two 57's on the bay as they went for £70 each and you can get them new for that. These schallers will be up for grabs if any one is interested. They are on the bay, but will pull them off seeing as there wiring system may be complicated. I would still like to try and do it myself if anyone has a link, failing that, I would get my local guy to do it and give the guitar a service while he is at it.

Many thanks [thumbup] and much appreciated [biggrin]

Sorry i didnt get back to you sooner. Say £60 for the pair or an offer around that price somewhere. [thumbup] You can pay via paypal as goods if you like and that way your covered. Let me know either way mate [smile]

Sounds interesting indeed :)

How long are the wires? :)

Hi. I have a gig tonight and on Sat, so will have to leave the schallers in until Sunday and then I can take them out and measure the wires. If there I a specific lenght you need them to be, let me know as Ill be around to answere any other questions. Are you based in th UK?? Cheers [thumbup]

Archived