Gibson Guitar Board: '60s Gibson Amplifiers - Gibson Guitar Board

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

'60s Gibson Amplifiers

#1 User is offline   Grog 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 304
  • Joined: 05-October 10
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

I've been meaning to take a photo of My vintage Gibson amps. These all were in the same catalog, I believe it was a 1965.

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   BobB 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Customer Service Team
  • Posts: 1858
  • Joined: 17-May 10

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:14 AM

Very nice vintage amp collection.

#3 User is offline   Grog 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 304
  • Joined: 05-October 10
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

The two oddest are the GA-4RE & the GA-77RET Vanguard, The both are equipt with a Tel-Ray oilcan reverb, an early (non) digital delay.

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Jon S. 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Customer Service Team
  • Posts: 2622
  • Joined: 17-May 10

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:09 PM

View Postjames beam, on 01 March 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

Thats the best collection of gibson amps I've ever seen , [thumbup]



+1. They all look to be in great shape too!! [drool]

#5 User is offline   8417 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 22-March 12

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:21 PM

Love them white panels!!! If you know of a suitable grille cloth that somewhat matches the originals- key me know.

#6 User is offline   modoc_333 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1253
  • Joined: 31-July 08
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:24 AM

that's a great collection. I used to have 2 from that era. they were the same model though.... GA-95RVT. it basically was a Gibson made Twin Reverb. obviously with a different tone though. the funny thing is that it looks like the GA-95RVT is the only one you are missing in this picture! or is that one on the right side, second from bottom? it looks a little small, but perspective could be off.
1932 Gibson L-00 "Penny"
1935 Kalamazoo KG-31
1996 Squier Japan Vista Series Jagmaster
2006 Gibson 1958 Reissue Les Paul
2010 Gibson Advanced Jumbo
2012 Gibson Custom built L-00
and a small pile of other stuff.... not mentioning all of the beautiful pieces I practiced "catch and release" on!


-Keith

#7 User is offline   Grog 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 304
  • Joined: 05-October 10
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:46 AM

View Postmodoc_333, on 26 March 2012 - 02:24 AM, said:

that's a great collection. I used to have 2 from that era. they were the same model though.... GA-95RVT. it basically was a Gibson made Twin Reverb. obviously with a different tone though. the funny thing is that it looks like the GA-95RVT is the only one you are missing in this picture! or is that one on the right side, second from bottom? it looks a little small, but perspective could be off.


That amp is a GA-35, Lancer...........

#8 User is offline   Grog 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 304
  • Joined: 05-October 10
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:52 AM

View Post8417, on 22 March 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

Love them white panels!!! If you know of a suitable grille cloth that somewhat matches the originals- key me know.


That grill cloth is impossible to find. We have looked for years and there is nothing else like it. Empty Amp cabnets show up on ebay from time to time with the grill cloth in good shape.

#9 User is offline   8417 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 22-March 12

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

It is really great that you are collecting those amps. I really like the last of the Kalamazoo made amps- and think its a shame that they are not more popular.

I really like the gray Tolex Epiphone versions of the white panel amps too. They are even tougher to find. I am drooling over your GA-77RET- that is the one I cannot wait to find.

Just picked up a GA-95RVT "Apollo" today. Cannot wait for it to arrive to begin tinkering with it.

If you had to use a currently available grille cloth- what would you go with? I need to replace a completely missing grille on a GA-15RVT.

#10 User is offline   Grog 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 304
  • Joined: 05-October 10
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

View Post8417, on 26 March 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

It is really great that you are collecting those amps. I really like the last of the Kalamazoo made amps- and think its a shame that they are not more popular.

I really like the gray Tolex Epiphone versions of the white panel amps too. They are even tougher to find. I am drooling over your GA-77RET- that is the one I cannot wait to find.

Just picked up a GA-95RVT "Apollo" today. Cannot wait for it to arrive to begin tinkering with it.

If you had to use a currently available grille cloth- what would you go with? I need to replace a completely missing grille on a GA-15RVT.


Congrats on the GA-95RVT! I decided to stop at the GA-77 just because of the weight. This grill cloth is really one of a kind, I never found anything close to it.............

#11 User is offline   kman007 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 19-October 13

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:25 AM

Here is my Gibson Vanguard. Is this replacement grill cloth? Also any help with the ohms of the ouput? Gotta put new speakers in it but it sounds great. The oil can reverb was yanked before I got it butt he tremelo works and is real nice and subtle. Are the 3 RCA jacks for the reverb? Can I use a regular spring tank? Any help with the output would be appreciated. Thank you.

#12 User is offline   kman007 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 19-October 13

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:26 AM

Here is my Gibson Vanguard. Is this replacement grill cloth? Also any help with the ohms of the ouput? Gotta put new speakers in it but it sounds great. The oil can reverb was yanked before I got it butt he tremelo works and is real nice and subtle. Are the 3 RCA jacks for the reverb? Can I use a regular spring tank? Any help with the output would be appreciated. Thank you.

Attached thumbnail(s)

  • Attached Image: gibamp1.jpg
  • Attached Image: gibamp2.jpg
  • Attached Image: gibamp3.jpg


#13 User is offline   Grog 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 304
  • Joined: 05-October 10
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:04 PM

View Postkman007, on 20 October 2013 - 07:26 AM, said:

Here is my Gibson Vanguard. Is this replacement grill cloth? Also any help with the ohms of the ouput? Gotta put new speakers in it but it sounds great. The oil can reverb was yanked before I got it butt he tremelo works and is real nice and subtle. Are the 3 RCA jacks for the reverb? Can I use a regular spring tank? Any help with the output would be appreciated. Thank you.


It is replacement grill cloth, but it looks like the original grill cloth is under the replacement. I'll post a schematic & the instruction page for the Tel-Ray Oilcan reverb. These pop up from time to time on ebay, I bought a Fender Dimension IV to get the parts I needed to fix mine. Somebody had replaced the original motor with a much larger motor. The three RCA jacks are for the oilcan reverb. I'm sure there is a way to install a spring reverb, but you might want to try finding an original Tel-Ray oilcan. These amps are quite rare & kinda cool........... [thumbup]
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 User is offline   trackerdan 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 26-February 08

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:18 AM

View PostGrog, on 29 February 2012 - 03:23 PM, said:

I've been meaning to take a photo of My vintage Gibson amps. These all were in the same catalog, I believe it was a 1965.

Posted Image


Now that's what I call a wall of sound!

#15 User is offline   OldPlucker 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 36
  • Joined: 19-February 14
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:03 AM

Thanks for sharing. I'd have to find my 67 Gibson price book; but, I think the only thing maybe missing is an Atlas. That's a very cool and impressive collection.

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users