Gibson Brands Forums: The Townes Van Zandt Appreciation Society (cover thread) - Gibson Brands Forums

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Townes Van Zandt Appreciation Society (cover thread)

#21 User is offline   flatbaroque 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

Blindboy, a mighty fine cover...something about those TVZ songs........a timeless knowing

#22 User is offline   willysunday 

• Group: Members
  • LocationToo close to Elderly's : )

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

In one of the biographies of Townes he was quoted as saying (something like)" I don't want my songs sung at Madison Square Garden. I want them played & sung on the back porch"

Well folks this is the back porch. To me, it's big fun with some impromptu soul/emotion you can't get anywhere else. A "brilliant idea" indeed.

JRP what a contrast in style from DG's rendition and both are the stuff, I believe Townes meant to happen with his work. Keep 'em coming.

BBG- terrific job. There's something about Tecumseh Valley whenever I here it. Somehow I "see" Spencer, Gypsy's, the sky turned to winter... I guess that's what great songwriting can do. Yeah, real happy! I meant to commend you on your little tribute to Davy in the other thread- nicely done.

Thanks for the thread and the "welcome". I can see why DG loves this place.

Hoping to hear some more TVZ here.

Willy
"All you need is a heart! And enough of a brain to git yer half-*** in outta the rain" Terry Allen's "Peggy Legg"

'91 Hummingbird
'53 J-50
'50 SJ being brought back to life
'53 LG-2
'57 CW
'08 Jubal almost a Gibson Jumbo- close enough for me!
A bunch of Kalamazoo & Recording King flat tops & arch tops
Some Martins and a few home-made "Wiily's"

#23 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:40 AM

thanks guys :-) very kind words

#24 User is offline   flatbaroque 

• Advanced Member

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:16 AM

I want to join the party. Here's a quick take on "Dollar Bill Blues"...no frills version.I'm playing one of the lesser known Gibson models...a Martin OM-18V...haha sorry about that...my J-45 is in a strange tuning for something I'm working on..so I grabbed it's Martin Doppelganger. Cheers all

#25 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:36 AM

View Postflatbaroque, on 03 March 2012 - 01:16 AM, said:

I want to join the party. Here's a quick take on "Dollar Bill Blues"...no frills version.I'm playing one of the lesser known Gibson models...a Martin OM-18V...haha sorry about that...my J-45 is in a strange tuning for something I'm working on..so I grabbed it's Martin Doppelganger. Cheers all

pure brilliance

#26 User is offline   jrplefty 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationFo Co, Colorado

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

Willy, I had never heard Greensboro Woman before. Thanks for exposing me to it. I enjoyed listening to it, and I like the way you filmed the video. Really cool ambiance.

BBG, that was an excellent rendition of Tecumseh. I enjoyed it thoroughly. I also applaud your video editing skills. Good stuff.

Baroque thanks for the contribution. The room you recorded in had a really cool sound. It was nice to listen to your version of dollar bill blues.

Grateful, give me a week or two and I will see what I can do with Proud Mountains. Im in the process of moving and studying for midterms, plus I have a feeling the timing is gonna give me fits. I've also been thinking of giving Loretta a go. We will see.

Anybody ever thought about doing something like this with Ray Wylie Hubbard?
2012 J-200 Standard
2013 Martin D-35
2013 LG-2 American Eagle
2011 '52 Tele AVRI
2009 Les Paul Standard
25th Anniversary PRS Modern Eagle II
25th Anniversary PRS 305
2009 PRS McCarty Korina
2008 Carvin SH 550
2011 Epiphone P-93 Riviera
20?? Epiphone Les Paul (maybe a fake, but it plays good and sounds nice)

#27 User is offline   DanvillRob 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationDanville, CA

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

View Postflatbaroque, on 03 March 2012 - 01:16 AM, said:

Nice! Let's hear more from you!

(I personally didn't think that was flat, or Baroque!)

#28 User is offline   AnneS 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

Had to dig back a few pages to find this again, and I'm glad I did! Really nice stuff here, guys--and since no one added Snowing on Raton yet, I thought I'd best jump in while I'm thinking about it.

Something about this song--don't know that I've ever played it the same way twice, so here's yet another one-off. (Good a way as any to end a long week. Annoying audio clicking is there again... sorry 'bout that.)

"Bid the years goodbye, you cannot steal them; you cannot turn the circles of the sun..."

And Buc--you out there?? How've you managed to be a guitar player living in Texas and not dipped your toes into the TVZ ocean by now? Might be time, is all I'm sayin'...
Gibson 2000 J-100XT
Gibson 1964 LG-1
Gibson 2014 J-45 Elite Custom
Ibanez PN1 Parlor

"He woulda taken the other road, but he didn't think the lake was that deep." JPrine

http://soundcloud.com/anne-rachel

#29 User is offline   MissouriPicker 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIndependence, Missouri

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:33 PM

I like all these Townes' covers. There's a lot of feeling in every one of them. I think his sad and somber approach in his writing/performing makes it a bit difficult to convey the feelings that he put in to his songs. Townes was one of those tortured souls that couldn't be anyone except for who he was. However, each of these covers is pretty-darn-good and has a Townes' feeling to it. [thumbup]
YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.c...er?feature=mhee
http://www.reverbnat...om/larrygarrett

Gibsons J45TV, Hummingbird, Dove, Southern Jumbo Mystic, Advanced Jumbo Rosewood
Advanced Jumbo Koa, J100 Walnut
Alvarez MFA66CE Masterworks OM/Folk
Martin X Series 2016 D12X1AE Dreadnought 12-String
Regal 1944 Parlor Guitar
LAG Nylon Stringed
Oahu 1941 Squareneck Parlor Guitar
Yamaha YPG-535MM Keyboard
and a herd of ukes, banjos, strumsticks, harmonicas and dulcimers,
making me a "jack of all trades and master of none."

#30 User is offline   flatbaroque 

• Advanced Member

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:39 PM

Anne, that was just beautiful. I was thinking of doing " Wreck on the Highway"...when i googled the lyrics I found that Townes didn't write it but covered it himself. So if I did it would be in mathematical terms a Townes cover(squared)...a cover of a cover...haha

#31 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:44 AM

View Postflatbaroque, on 09 March 2012 - 11:39 PM, said:

Anne, that was just beautiful. I was thinking of doing " Wreck on the Highway"...when i googled the lyrics I found that Townes didn't write it but covered it himself. So if I did it would be in mathematical terms a Townes cover(squared)...a cover of a cover...haha

still counts ! stick it on here!
theres nothing else to do on this forum 'cept shove 2mm of paper under your neck join

#32 User is offline   flatbaroque 

• Advanced Member

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:45 AM

hahaha.......I noticed a big hole in the top of my guitar. I took it to a well respected luthier who told me that's called a soundhole and it comes standard with most guitars. Boy that was a relief!

#33 User is offline   Del Nilppeznaf 

• Advanced Member

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

View Postblindboygrunt, on 10 March 2012 - 12:44 AM, said:

still counts ! stick it on here!
theres nothing else to do on this forum 'cept shove 2mm of paper under your neck join

hahaahhahahahahahahahaha [laugh]

#34 User is offline   jrplefty 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationFo Co, Colorado

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

Anne, I know it's been a few days since you posted, but I really enjoyed hearing you play and sing Snowing on Raton. I really can't think of a word to describe my thoughts on it.

This has probably become one of my favorite threads recently. I've only ever listened to TVZ Live at the Old Quarter, so I'm getting exposed to a lot more of his music and it's inspiring to say the least.

Grateful, now that I've moved and settled in, I finally had a listen to Proud Mountain, and I'm going to read through the lyrics and find out how it is I connect. I hope to have something for all of you before my spring break ends.
2012 J-200 Standard
2013 Martin D-35
2013 LG-2 American Eagle
2011 '52 Tele AVRI
2009 Les Paul Standard
25th Anniversary PRS Modern Eagle II
25th Anniversary PRS 305
2009 PRS McCarty Korina
2008 Carvin SH 550
2011 Epiphone P-93 Riviera
20?? Epiphone Les Paul (maybe a fake, but it plays good and sounds nice)

#35 User is offline   flatbaroque 

• Advanced Member

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:29 AM

Gday all........Well someone had to do this one...I'm a bit buggered after a hard day at work so not much fancy pickin' here.......Pancho and Lefty......Cheers

#36 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:38 AM

View Postflatbaroque, on 13 March 2012 - 04:29 AM, said:

Gday all........Well someone had to do this one...I'm a bit buggered after a hard day at work so not much fancy pickin' here.......Pancho and Lefty......Cheers

well , that'll teach me , was gonna do that one myself last night , like you , i couldnt believe no ones done the big one yet , but i decided to cut the grass in case it rained :-)
its not raining ,and you've got in there with a great version ya bugger
good stuff john
:-D
right .... i'll go look for another . likin this thread a lot

#37 User is offline   flatbaroque 

• Advanced Member

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:08 AM

View Postblindboygrunt, on 13 March 2012 - 04:38 AM, said:

well , that'll teach me , was gonna do that one myself last night , like you , i couldnt believe no ones done the big one yet , but i decided to cut the grass in case it rained :-)
its not raining ,and you've got in there with a great version ya bugger
good stuff john
:-D
right .... i'll go look for another . likin this thread a lot

haha...thanks BBG.....I have a limited internet amount so as I was uploading this I was hoping no bugger would beat me to it with a red hot version....I'm sure your version would have been a real good'un!..but I beat ya...Lucky I wasn't checking my intonation like Goto!!...better do that now....

#38 User is offline   Scratch47 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationTexas Hill Country

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:09 AM

Been away for a bit and just catching up on a few posts. Sure am glad I found this one. You folks are great and TVZ would be proud of every one of ya...

If I Needed You: http://www.soundclic...3&q=hi&newref=1
Scratch sends...

2003 J45r Custom

#39 User is offline   Deadgrateful 

• Advanced Member

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

View Postjrplefty, on 12 March 2012 - 09:57 PM, said:

Grateful, now that I've moved and settled in, I finally had a listen to Proud Mountain, and I'm going to read through the lyrics and find out how it is I connect. I hope to have something for all of you before my spring break ends.

Awesome, I'll be eagerly awaiting it! I might try and muster up the dust to try another sometime this week. Maybe 'Greensborough Woman' or perhaps 'I'll be here in the morning'.

#40 User is offline   onewilyfool 

• Advanced Member

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

Great covers guys!!!! BBG, how did you get that old timey grainy look on your vid??? Very cool!
"The sole of my shoes is thin, and I'll soon be on my feet again" Lonnie Johnson

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users