Gibson Brands Forums

Late '50's ES 330 reissue

AlanC

This is the guitar I have optimistically mentioned in another thread. It is said to have a fairly chunky neck, which is patterned after the '59 model. I have a 330L and love the feel of the 30/60 neck & 19 frets clear of the body, but am definitely curious to do a comparison. Really nice to see Gibson releasing another version of the 330!

Going for the Grant Green sound? I really like the standard neck ES-330 over the ES-330L. Can't wait to see pictures. Selling my ES-330 back in the early 70s was one of my biggest mistakes ever.

I feel your pain. What year was yours? I bought a 1960 ES-330TD, clean, with a nice original brown case, for $200 back in the early 80's. Great guitar, but I was always wheeling and dealing, curious to discover the next great guitar, so I sold it after a couple of years for $450. At the time, I was proud of myself for making $250. Five or ten years later.... uh, not so much. I discovered Grant Green (and became a big fan) after that, by the way. I later got a '61, but the neck was so much narrower... didn't keep that one very long.

I feel your pain. What year was yours? I bought a 1960 ES-330TD, clean, with a nice original brown case, for $200 back in the early 80's. Great guitar, but I was always wheeling and dealing, curious to discover the next great guitar, so I sold it after a couple of years for $450. At the time, I was proud of myself for making $250. Five or ten years later.... uh, not so much. I discovered Grant Green (and became a big fan) after that, by the way. I later got a '61, but the neck was so much narrower... didn't keep that one very long.

Mine was a Heritage Cherry '59 and had beautiful tone. The car was a '66 Chevy Impala SS327 2 door hardtop that burned up when the engine caught fire from a bad fuel connection to the carburetor about 2 years later. It was a lose lose situation all around.

My solace was custom ordering an ES-355 last year and I will never part with that.

1330986160[/url]' post='1141831']

Alan C, you have to post some pics. I'm DYING over here!

Yes I will post some pics in the next couple of days. I own a 335 but the 330 is very different to it. The Grant Green sound just pours out of it. Finish wise it's flawless although the fretboard needed to be oiled as it was pretty dry. Great neck. I've got round wound D'Addarios on it (12's). Also as an acoustic guitar it has a great sound and is surprisingly loud given that it is not really an Archtop.

Hi all. I just picked up the new ES 330. Mine's a vintage sunburst. I'll post some pics shortly . Great jazz sound. I've put D'Addario 12 rounds on it and it just sings.

Without being too specific, how did/does the MAP (minimum advertised price) work with Gibson? Can a seller go lower? Was that your experience? Thanks--

1331051152[/url]' post='1142536']

Without being too specific, how did/does the MAP (minimum advertised price) work with Gibson? Can a seller go lower? Was that your experience? Thanks--

Hi Jhn29, I have found that if you buy Gibson guitars through the same Gibson shop they will offer significant discounts. In fact I got the ES 330 for less than 60% of the list price.

Hope you're happy with your 330. I'm curious about the neck: is it as girthy as a real '59?

Dying to see the pix. I have a serious jones for that guitar. Far surpassing mere GAS. Jammed with a friend last night - my '66 ES-330 thru my Crestline-model Discoverer GA-8T, his 70's Les Paul Deluxe thru his VibroVerb reissue. Sweet sounds all around...but I prefer the 330 to the Paul and just about every other guitar I've ever played.

Yes the neck is just like a 50s neck very large not narrow like the 60s version . Ive got the sunburst myself great sounding and playing instrument.

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/3683071/view/59-vos-es330-vsb2.jpg

Thanks - the info on the neck cooled me off a little (I have small hands, so the 60's neck works well for me), but the pix got me all heated up again.

Thanks - the info on the neck cooled me off a little (I have small hands, so the 60's neck works well for me), but the pix got me all heated up again.

My hands are not large as well but Ive always preferred the necks from the 50s . My ES 335 58 has a large neck as well which again I prefer but everyone has their own opinions .

Sooo, I'm not getting antsy or anything but, this thread is a week old and still no pictures. What's it gonna take to get some pictures of this thing? Seriously.

sorry for the delay but here are the pictures (sorry for the finger marks on the pick plate)

_DSC0278.jpg

_DSC0277.jpg

1331453905[/url]' post='1146769']

Very desirable piece of wood [thumbup]

I have one very similar (not the 50's re-issue though)

I particularly like the understated black dog-ears

And the plain top 'n back look well cool...

V

:-({|=

Yeah thanks she's really nice. Plays well and you don't have to work hard to get a great sound.

Yep, I'm almost positive what you have there is the 330L not the new vos 59 reissue which is the only 50's 330 reissue that I'm aware of. Some things to note: 1. the neck is the long neck. 2. the pickgaurd is the short 60's style. 3. the knobs are not the amber top hats but the black reflectors. All things point to 330L, still a fantastic guitar, just not a 50's reissue. Enjoy it, though, that puppy looks real sweet. However, if you paid the premium for the more expensive and new 330 vos 59 reissue, you may want to have a word with your dealer. Not only could that guitar not be new, the 330L was discontinued as far as I know a couple of years ago, but it also went for thousands less than the new 59 is priced at.

Yep, I'm almost positive what you have there is the 330L not the new vos 59 reissue which is the only 50's 330 reissue that I'm aware of. Some things to note: 1. the neck is the long neck. 2. the pickgaurd is the short 60's style. 3. the knobs are not the amber top hats but the black reflectors. All things point to 330L, still a fantastic guitar, just not a 50's reissue. Enjoy it, though, that puppy looks real sweet. However, if you paid the premium for the more expensive and new 330 vos 59 reissue, you may want to have a word with your dealer. Not only could that guitar not be new, the 330L was discontinued as far as I know a couple of years ago, but it also went for thousands less than the new 59 is priced at.

oh, 4. also has the normal kluson tuners (actually an upgrade if you ask me), the 59 reissue has the white buttons. Another tell would be the side dot markers should be tortoise shell.

1331605592[/url]' post='1148260']

oh, 4. also has the normal kluson tuners (actually an upgrade if you ask me), the 59 reissue has the white buttons. Another tell would be the side dot markers should be tortoise shell.

I really hate to say this but I'm sure that you are correct. I've just looked at the Gibson web site and the late 50's ES 330 is not the guitar I've got. What's more is I paid for the late 50's and they sold it to me as the reissue. Clearly its not. Whilst the guitar is absolutely fabulous I'm going to insist on an exchange. It sorta breaks my heart as this is a great guitar.

I really appreciate your advice and comments cos if I hadn't picked it up now given I've only had it a week, I may not have been able to do anything about. That is pay less or replace it. It really reflects badly on Gibson to market in this manner. I'm extremely disappointed but thanks buddy. Much appreciated advice!!!

Archived