Gibson Brands Forums

Songs not to play in a music store

Lazerface

Stemmed from the "favorite guitar shop moment" thread in the acoustic forum, which songs should nobody be allowed to play in a music store. The first 3 i can think of were all forbidden at my local music go round before it moved and eventually closed: stairway, smoke on the water, and crazy train (all blink182 songs were forbidden as well). Id say hotel california should be up there too, although i think the solos from those songs should be allowed so long as the rest of the song is not played

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally when i hear the 2 notes that ring out during the verses of Smells Like Teen Spirit i have flashbacks of the nightmarish call of a fem cat in heat,before my gf got her 2 siamese fems fixed,every few weeks they would parade thru the house screeching out for any of the masses that live in the woods behind my house and i all could hear while chasing them w/ a broom is the 2 note verse riff they stayed in and out of harmony with lol.

I have a story about this.

I started learning to play at 12 years old as my mother forced me to do it as she thought I should learn music thank you mum :)).. Anyway I did that for two years learning classical music and how to read and stuff. I was then expelled from that school (not gonna go into that :P) and stopped playing.

When I was 15 I started getting into rock music and it wasnt long before I wanted an electric. So I went up to Denmark St (the biggest strip of guitar shops in the UK) and was trying out a few guitars not really knowing what I was doing. The first one I tried the guy in the shop was like do you want a clean or distorted sound.. I had no idea what he was talking about so said distorted..

So i was playing this guitar before the amp went on and all I knew how to play was from the days when I started learning which was wait for it... Greensleves haha.. so there I am playing the only thing I know when the amp comes on with me playing greensleves with full on gain and the whole shop turned and looked at me lol.. My friends I was with were totally embarassed and walked out followed by me a few seconds later.. haha

So yeah, id like to add Greensleves to the list :P

What I don't understand is why? why can't people play these songs?

I went into a music store once and played the intro to "play the funky music white boy" and got a crowd looking at me lol.

Sweet Child of mine into gets annoying if you have to hear it over and over, but I totally can live with Nirvana over and over since their my favorite band.

Because those songs are so overplayed that anyone who works in a music store will lose it if they hear them again being played by wannabe rock stars...

It's just a precautionary measure to keep music store employes out of mental institutions....

Stemmed from the "favorite guitar shop moment" thread in the acoustic forum, which songs should nobody be allowed to play in a music store. The first 3 i can think of were all forbidden at my local music go round before it moved and eventually closed: stairway, smoke on the water, and crazy train (all blink182 songs were forbidden as well). Id say hotel california should be up there too, although i think the solos from those songs should be allowed so long as the rest of the song is not played

who the **** are you/they (in the shop) to tell me wtf i can play or cant!?... =;[-(

Because those songs are so overplayed that anyone who works in a music store will lose it if they hear them again being played by wannabe rock stars...

dave, if you apply for a job (and get it) in a music/guitar store then you should expect the sweet child o mine/smoke on the water riffs that the customers will play on picking up guitar...

and "wannabe rock star"? come on dave...thought you were better than that :mellow:

dave, if you apply for a job (and get it) in a music/guitar store then you should expect the sweet child o mine/smoke on the water riffs that the customers will play on picking up guitar...

and "wannabe rock star"? come on dave...thought you were better than that :mellow:

Ohh common.. its all just tounge in cheeek.. of course you can play what you want but dont expect them to like it :P

I've seen and heard some wanna be fretboard wizards attempt Eruption by EVH as well as all the aforementioned aural swill and they invariably try to appear looking around non-chalantly,but really it`s see how many people they have dazzled,when they look my way I make it a point for them to see me laughing at them,I loathe poseurs and BSers.

I have long given up on going to Long and McQuade (the Canadian equivilent to G.C.)on Saturdays because of the influx of zit popping poseurs who grab any $3-$4000 guitar that they can reach and proceed to plug it into a Marshall or some uber-Wattage Hi-Gain amp and dial up the most distorted setting it will go to and start shredding......usually very poorly.I'm sure that parents drop off their young protogés just to be free of the tone-deaf little turd heads for an afternoon.I prefer to go to my Mom and Pop store-Reid Music-on Saturdays-and any other day-because you aren't allowed to pick up a guitar unless they know that you are a competant guitarist and that you have the means to pay up if you happen to break something.Even though I'm quite sure that they'd have no problem with me trying any guitar in the store,I always ask first,even ifI'm pretty sure that I'll be buying the guitar anyway-it's just common courtesy as far as I'm concerned.

I can well understand stores having a ban on some songs,because being subjected to the same songs daily-especially being played abyssmally-would be the audio equivilent of The Chinese Water Torture.

Archived