Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Pump Polish

bluezguy

Just got my first 2 orange bottles of Gibson world famous Pump Polish. All 4 of my stage units are nitro finished. Until now, I've been using Martin Guitar Polish for about 25 years .. never a problem. All 4 'test areas' on my new 335, Lp Standard, Firebird V and SG Standard are now CLOUDY !!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF WTF WTF WTF?????????????

To apply the stuff, I'm using lint free synthetic soft cloths that cost a small fortune and buffing with $10 synthetic detail cloths. No cotton, no flannel ... all pro stuff for fine finishes. HELP!! msp_cursing.gif

You may want to clean your guitars with nitro finishes with "naphtha", then start over.......

At the Gibson factory, they use naphtha to clean the guitars......

This is meant only as a start for the conversation; Many will expand with in depth advice............

Spray directly on 100% cotton cloth, wipe guitar -- it should shine the finish. I've never heard of Gibson pump polish making the finish cloudy.

will agree SOFT COTTON ! I'am thinking that it could be reacting to previous products used on it!? are you making sure to wipe it down so it's not leaving a lot of undried product on the git before you put it away? also seen where you should'nt use synthetic rags!

Spray directly on 100% cotton cloth, wipe guitar -- it should shine the finish. I've never heard of Gibson pump polish making the finish cloudy.

Well ... you've heard of it now AND ... I'll go one step further. I'll drive to Memphis or Nashville from Florida with all 4 instruments. You will be able to inspect them then go at it with your genuine Gibson Pump Polish. I purchased the 2 bottles from Amazon.com. What's the chances of counterfeit crap in bottles??

You'll also see the materials I use in the process. I come from a heavy 'show' background where clothing, instruments, amps ... everything had to look like a million bucks to make money. Martin 'pump' Polish has never let me down. I just thought after more than 4 decades of using your stuff (except cleaners) AND being a stickler for OEM products, I'd try the Gibson brand.

Finally, what's this about using Naptha?? That was one of the earlier replies. I used to work at the Nashville plant on the line, glueing the wings onto the head stocks of LPs (1993). The guy on the reply says they wipe all paint down with Naptha ... waz dat all about?

• 2 weeks later...

Well ... you've heard of it now AND ... I'll go one step further. I'll drive to Memphis or Nashville from Florida with all 4 instruments. You will be able to inspect them then go at it with your genuine Gibson Pump Polish. I purchased the 2 bottles from Amazon.com. What's the chances of counterfeit crap in bottles??

You'll also see the materials I use in the process. I come from a heavy 'show' background where clothing, instruments, amps ... everything had to look like a million bucks to make money. Martin 'pump' Polish has never let me down. I just thought after more than 4 decades of using your stuff (except cleaners) AND being a stickler for OEM products, I'd try the Gibson brand.

Finally, what's this about using Naptha?? That was one of the earlier replies. I used to work at the Nashville plant on the line, glueing the wings onto the head stocks of LPs (1993). The guy on the reply says they wipe all paint down with Naptha ... waz dat all about?

hmm....you worked on the line?

The most important thing is have a set of clean cotton cloths that have not been cross contaminated with others clearners or solutions. I use Dunlop cleaners and polishes with great success. The Gibson pump polish is fine too as a finish product, but it's not a cleaner, per se.

Where can I get parts for this?

For a 4 wheel "Firebird"?

Seeing as Pontiac hasn't been in business for 2 years, I guess you might be able to buy parts from a Chevrolet dealer. Of course I'm sure there are aftermarket parts that are still being produced for Pontiacs, as there are still a lot of them on the roads.

Just got my first 2 orange bottles of Gibson world famous Pump Polish. All 4 of my stage units are nitro finished. Until now, I've been using Martin Guitar Polish for about 25 years .. never a problem. All 4 'test areas' on my new 335, Lp Standard, Firebird V and SG Standard are now CLOUDY !!

I have used Virtuoso cleaner and polish on all of my guitars..It is some really good stuff.

I thought the finish was ruined on one of my guitars..grime built up that nothing else would touch. I used the virtuoso cleaner and the polish. It came off and looked like a brand new guitar. I don't know if it would take the cloudiness off or not, but might be worth a try.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Gibson pump polish for Polishing and Naptha for cleaning [thumbup]

never had a problem however make sure you spray on the cloth and not the guitar.

it sounds like there was a reaction with the old polish. easy fix for someone that worked on a 'production line at Gibson'

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my '61 reissue two Tuesdays ago, and I ordered a bottle of the Gibson polish from Amazon.

I used the yellow cotton cloth on it, and it got off the fingerprints from the Guitar Center guy who put the Ernie Ball Super Slinky Titaniums on for me.

Polished up good.

I had also bought a microfiber one from Amazon for the guitar, but reading here it is best to stick with the cotton one that comes with the polish?

My first experience with the Gibson polish is just that, cloudy finish.

But, after using it, I've found that you really need to work it in, let it dry, and buff with some elbow action. Also it will leave a cloudy finish, if your guitar hasn't been cleaned first.

I've since gone to Virtuoso cleaners and polish, you still have to do some work.

WIth any polish, you have to polish the guitar, you have to work it in, then buff. Not just spray it on and wipe it off.

Here is my 50s Tribute, all polished up, the satin finish is now a nice, warm, vintage looking finish.

post-1814-095169600 1335373334_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using Martin Guitar Polish for about 25 years .. never a problem.

A while back, Martin had a problem when they changed their polish: The new stuff contained silicone! They have since rectified the issue, but hopefully you don't have a bottle of that stuff laying around. For dating, you could go to the Martin forum & someone around there would probably be right on top of it.

Archived