Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone seen one of these before? Is it actually gibson made?

Thundergod

Showed up on my local buy-sell portal ... it is in spanish but a pipc is a pic... he says it is a "rare gibson guitar", to me it doesnt look like a guitar... but hey gibson has pulled out a lot of weird stuff before eh?

Is this something any of you guys know?

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ec/MEC-4045978-gibson-edicion-especial-_JM

...yes, I may be a complete idiot if the answer is "it isnt a gibson product" but if it is, then I would like to know more about it...

I wouldn't pay it. Funny thing about lap steels, they don't have to be "good" to be good. In the 80s I owned two old Harmony lap steels that sounded like the gates of Hell opening up and Ry Cooder standing there with horns and a tail.... then I parlayed them into a "good collector snobby" lap steel, a 1953 Fender with a 3-digit serial number. What a letdown. My one current lap steel is a 1948 Supro that I think I paid $140 on ebay back a few years ago. It might be worth $200 today....maybe.

Gibson lap steels go anywhere from $300-800 on ebay.

Hi Thundergod.

It's almost certainly a real Gibson.

There's a photo of one which is,as far I can see, identical, even down to the bridge cover/'inlay' design, in the Vol 2 edition of Ian C. Bishop's "The Gibson Guitar from 1950" (p19, if you have the book).

The caption says they were made from the early '30s up to the sixties.

Many had a Charlie Christian p-up fitted...........Buy it - you could be lucky!

hehehehe I dont think so man... even AXE's kitty pauls would beat the sh1t out of that one...

I was just curious... as I said before it is not the kind of thing one can expect to find here in the used/new buy/sell portal...

I guess the guy doesn't know what it is he has there as he is selling it as a gibson guitar for lefties... I thought I could PM him and give him some input on it if he was selling it too cheap... (yes, I am guilty of being a nice person, sometimes).

Archived