Gibson Brands Forums

pots and caps??

jakatone

does anybody know which pots and caps gibson uses in the studio VM....i guess that the pots should be 500k but then again somebody told me that they are 300k....? i´m just about to change them so it would be great it somebody did the same thing....also,caps....i really don´t know much about it....so,talk=p~

does anybody know which pots and caps gibson uses in the studio VM....i guess that the pots should be 500k but then again somebody told me that they are 300k....? i´m just about to change them so it would be great it somebody did the same thing....also' date='caps....i really don´t know much about it....so,talk=p~ [/quote']

From what I understand... Gibson uses 500k and .022uF caps for their Humbuckers.

However! You can 'tune' it to your ear if you desire. For example, .047uF (Fender) caps will kill more high's when you start backing off the tone, while .022uF caps will keep the highs 'brighter' until you back off toward the end of the pot.

There's a few writeups out there on the web about pots and caps, but it really comes down to how you want to tune your sound and controls.

I'm kinda in the same boat as yourself... in fact, I just came home from "Radio Shack" with two .022's (272-1066) and two .047's (227-1068). @ $1.49 per package of two, I might as well try em both!

How about trying a 500T pickup?

i thought about it but i think that it´s to hot for the kind of music i play....although,never really tried it.my studio has burstbuckers V,so i guess they should be treble-ish enough....for starters,i´ll go with electronics...but thanks for the advice

Archived