Gibson Brands Forums

RichCI - lighten up - it was just a joke.....

Thermionik

We were ragging and having fun - not making serious political comments or taking pops at this party or that party.

I'll fill the forum with politics if that is what the forum is talking about.

I'll take my guitar interest elsewhere.

Chill man, lighten up.

Life's too short.

:)

We were ragging and having fun - not making serious political comments or taking pops at this party or that party.

I'll fill the forum with politics if that is what the forum is talking about.

I'll take my guitar interest elsewhere.

Chill man' date=' lighten up.

Life's too short.

[img']http://forum.gibson.com/public/style_emoticons/default/eusa_whistle.gif[/img]

All I was saying is that it's an off topic board where you can post about anything including politics. Are you confusing me with someone else?

Murph said:

I'm just bumping the political crap to page 2 if ya wonder. I've had enough.

And I bumped a few along with him..... then RichCI came in and said:

Why is the political stuff a problem? I thought this forum was created for any sort of off topic conversations, not just select off topic conversations or any sort of off topic conversations as long as not one person objects to it. In Usenet, we have a saying: If you don't like the subject, don't click into the thread.

And I didn't want him to feel like [1] it WAS a problem and [2] there were any objections of a serious nature.

Then RichCI said:

Because they feel that they get to make up the rules here when the one they should be following is If you don't like it, don't click it.

Well I don't know who they are, and I don't like anyone telling me what rule I should follow either, but then I thought chill, peace and all that crap - let him know it wasn't serious.....

My bad. Should have just told him to blow it out his a$$.....

Because they feel that they get to make up the rules here when the one they should be following is If you don't like it' date=' don't click it.[/color']

Well I don't know who they are, and I don't like anyone telling me what rule I should follow either, but then I thought chill, peace and all that crap - let him know it wasn't serious.....

Context is king. I wrote that in reply to Thundergod:

Why is everyone trying to send this thing to the 2nd page?

"They" are everyone complaining about particular off topic threads posted on an off topic board.

What I find interesting is that you're *****ing about political threads yet feel compelled to click into them to see what everyone is saying. Or' date=' am I just so fascinating that you decided to check my post history and then quote everything I say?

My bad. Should have just told him to blow it out his a$$.....

Duly noted. Thanks, I'll do that.

I am not *****ing about political threads - like I said, I will talk politics at length, but not in a guitar forum.

I have never made up any rules here or elsewhere, I just joined in the bump-fest for a laugh.

You are as fascinating as all the other people on here - no more, no less.

I didn't 'check out your post history' - I just went to the posts concerned and pulled out the relevant passages.

Check out Murph's why I did it thread and take a pop at him if you feel badly done by.

Then play some guitar for a while.....

Politics and religion cause so much friction and aggravation in the world at large, don't let it happen here.

Look, here's the deal and hopefully this will make sense: This board was created because people wanted a place to post about stuff besides guitars but within the same community of people; we *****ed about OT threads being deleted, asked for an OT forum and we got it - right here.

So, it pisses me off when people try to make up or enforce their own rules about what can and can't be posted in an off topic board. Not to try to make myself sound like Lord of the Geeks, but I've been doing this message board/Usenet thing for a very long time, even serving as a moderator and admin on numerous occasions as well, and I've seen this sort of behavior plenty of times before and it always adds up to a few compulsive types who can't seem to NOT click into a thread. Maybe you did just join in for a laugh but you still contributed to the problem.

Politics and religion cause so much friction and aggravation in the world at large' date=' don't let it happen here.[/quote']

I'd rather put my trust in the community to be able to handle such volatile subjects rather than trying to play online babysitter for a bunch of grown ups.

Say it with me now: "Don't like it? Don't click it."

I don't usually get in the middle of these things. But Nik, I don't see what Rich ever said to get you all fired up. His initial remark was pretty tame and didn't seem directed at anyone in particular. Even his first response to this thread was not strongly worded or confrontational. Nothing that would deserve "blow it out your ***" IMO.

You usually seem so thoughtful and philisophical with your comments, I was surprised to see you going after someone, especially like Rich. I certainly don't want to start getting into it with you. I just think you're both cool around here and would hate to see a molehill turned into a mountain if you know what I mean.

Peace =D>

I wasn't 'fired up' - but I am now. You want to see a forum crash and burn. Talk religion or politics.

Two salient facts for yah, shoeshine-boy:

[1] I was upset when guitarstrummer got GillianGirl to quit by enforcing rules about on-line behavious which apparently he had made up. There is certainly more to it than that - but that was what riled me..... people enforcing rules of their own making.

[2] I was involved in the precursors of JANET, when ULCC first linked the local network to several other UK academic networks in the late seventies and early eighties. And I remember when we joined directly with the US networks in the late eighties.

The main concern back in the late seventies was that government monitoring of political traffic on the burgeoning Internet would cause problems, and self-censorship was needed to prevent the government from tightening restrictions or blocking stuff all together. Only one concern was greater - our right to free speech.

I remember FidoBBS - Thou shalt not offend, thou shalt not be easily offended.....

.....and I guess I forgot that rule (sorry to Tom Jennings.....)

So I apologise, RichCI.

Now I'm outa here.

Guitars to play on, guitar players to talk to.

About guitars.

Bye, and enjoy.

I wasn't 'fired up' - but I am now. You want to see a forum crash and burn. Talk religion or politics.

Two salient facts for yah' date=' shoeshine-boy:[/quote']

So now it's name calling? Nice.

[1] I was upset when guitarstrummer got GillianGirl to quit by enforcing rules about on-line behavious which apparently he had made up. There is certainly more to it than that - but that was what riled me..... people enforcing rules of their own making.

Isn't that exactly what I've been talking about and the point I've been trying to make this whole time? People making up their own rules?

[2] I was involved in the precursors of JANET' date=' when ULCC first linked the local network to several other UK academic networks in the late seventies and early eighties. And I remember when we joined directly with the US networks in the late eighties.

The main concern back in the late seventies was that government monitoring of political traffic on the burgeoning Internet would cause problems, and self-censorship was needed to prevent the government from tightening restrictions or blocking stuff all together. Only one concern was greater - our right to free speech.

I remember FidoBBS - [i']Thou shalt not offend, thou shalt not be easily offended.....[/i]

.....and I guess I forgot that rule (sorry to Tom Jennings.....)

Okay, you beat me out for the title of Lord of the Geeks.

So I apologise' date=' RichCI.[/size']

See my first comment in this reply.

Sheesh man, what is your problem. Your avatar is a shoe-shine tin, shoe-shine boys run the US stock market, and it's not like I called you something bad, rude or offensive. But from now on it's RichCI only.

The rule making point is EXACTLY what you have been talking about - and I am trying to tell you I have not made up any rules nor tried to enforce any rules - in fact I get hacked off when I see people doing just that.....

I am agreeing with you.

I am not stupid enough nor vain enough to try and out-geek anyone - all I am saying is you are not the only one who remembers the good-old bad-old days. The important bit was the free speech part.

I am agreeing with you.

The apology was a genuine attempt to say sorry to you, RichCI.

Why, oh why do you keep missing the point.....

I agree with you.

You are right.

I apologise.

Okay, man, it seems like we were just having a misunderstanding; I'm still a little confused but... hey, let's let it be water under the bridge. I have no desire to argue with you, especially over a misunderstanding. So, I apologize to you too and I hope we can move on and have fun talking about what we both enjoy - guitars.

When beggars and shoeshine boys, barbers and beauticians can tell you how to get rich it is time to remind yourself that there is no more dangerous illusion than the beleif that one can get something for nothing.

Bernard Baruch (Jewish-American financier, stock market speculator, statesman, and presidential advisor to Woodrow Wilson and Franklin D. Roosevelt) on the 1929 crash.

He's also the guy who said:

"If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

Joe Kennedy said it too - "Taxi drivers told you what to buy. The shoeshine boy could give you a summary of the day's financial news as he worked with rag and polish. An old beggar who regularly patrolled the street in front of my office now gave me tips and, I suppose, spent the money I and others gave him in the market. My cook had a brokerage account and followed the ticker closely. Her paper profits were quickly blown away in the gale of 1929."

So the Shoe-Shine boys call the shots - the big guys do the deals based on the behaviour of the Shoe-Shine boys.

djroge1 - Potton - that is, I think, near Sandy Beds just off the A1 Great North Road (showing my age there.....). Don't know it personally, just seen the signs when rolling up and down the A1 and passing through Sandy and Beeston. Were you by chance with the good old boys at Chicksands or Cardington, Upwood, Molesworth or Alconbury. Second thoughts - don't be specific, but if you were, I salute you.

I was born and raised in London, and am currently about 100 miles North and a little East of Potton.

djroge1 - Potton - that is' date=' I think, near Sandy Beds just off the A1 Great North Road (showing my age there.....). Don't know it personally, just seen the signs when rolling up and down the A1 and passing through Sandy and Beeston. Were you by chance with the good old boys at Chicksands or Cardington, Upwood, Molesworth or Alconbury. Second thoughts - don't be specific, but if you were, I salute you.

I was born and raised in London, and am currently about 100 miles North and a little East of Potton.[/quote']

Yes, just down the way from Sandy - it is truly a beautiful drive all thru that area. I was at Chicks... It was my favorite assignment - job and location wise and my wife and I would love to make it back over that way some day. The people there were/are great too.

Okay' date=' man, it seems like we were just having a misunderstanding; I'm still a little confused but... hey, let's let it be water under the bridge. I have no desire to argue with you, especially over a misunderstanding. So, I apologize to you too and I hope we can move on and have fun talking about what we both enjoy - guitars.[/quote']

Glad to see you guys worked things out! =D>

I hate seeing couples... er, members... fight on this forum.

(you guys know I'm just kidding, right?)

Archived