Gibson Brands Forums

High-Pitched Squeal Sound After Changing PIckups, Help!

PJGortonSG

Hey everyone,

I hope you can help me out here. If i can get this fixed i swear i will never work on my own guitar again but i couldn't help myself! it seamed easy and i figured i would save myself a few bucks and put a pickup in myself but i have hit a bit of a roadblock...

I put an Angus Young Signature pickup into my Gibson SG. The pickup worked fine in my Epiphone les paul but now in my SG, the pickup works fine for the most part but its making this very high pitched screechy squealing sound whenever my hands are not on the strings? Anyone know what that could be from?? Below is the full story of what i did to put it in so you can see if you notice something i did wrong.

I got an angus young signature pickup a while ago but after looking in my SG i was too nervous to start snipping away at wires right away so i decided to test drive it on my epiphone les paul. Keep in mind i dont need the coil tap to work so i hooked it up accordingly. I put it in no problem, everything worked fine, no problems at all. I left it in that guitar for about a year with not even one issue with it than i sold the les paul took the pickup out and finally got up enough nerve to put it in my SG.

The first problem i had was that I was really confused by the difference in wireing, the les paul was just simple a bunch of wires solder the old one off put the new ones on, easy right. but the SG had like a circuit board thing connecting all the pots and the swich instead of wires, i didn't want to mess with the circuit board so i decided to just snip the old pickup wires half way through and solder the new onto those ones so i could avoid the circuit board altogether.

Than i ran into another problem, the stock SG pickups wires' where not what i was expecting when i cut through, they had a metal weaving coating sleave over the wire, i was expecting to see 2 wires in the middle but there is only one. After 1 hour of staring at the wire i had just cut in half, i was pretty sure that the metal sleave was actually the ground for some reason i don't really know why they did it that way so i hooked up the hot wires from the new pickup and soldered the ground to the metal sleave.

• 5 weeks later...

ok it sounds like you made a hash of the wiring. No worries. 2 options take it to a competent repair person to correct the wiring or pull out the PCB and wire it up the old way [thumbup]

I could trouble shoot with you but it would be alot easier and quicker for something to take a quick look and let you know the issue.

I put an Angus Young Signature pickup into my Gibson SG. The pickup worked fine in my Epiphone les paul but now in my SG, the pickup works fine for the most part but its making this very high pitched screechy squealing sound whenever my hands are not on the strings? Anyone know what that could be from?? Below is the full story of what i did to put it in so you can see if you notice something i did wrong.

Don't be so hard on your self. It sounds to me like you did a fine job. You sorted out the wiring just fine and your fix was correct. From your description it sounds like your experiencing feedback from the strings. This wouldn't be strange after installing a higher out put pickup.

• 8 months later...

Don't be so hard on your self. It sounds to me like you did a fine job. You sorted out the wiring just fine and your fix was correct. From your description it sounds like your experiencing feedback from the strings. This wouldn't be strange after installing a higher out put pickup.

Feedback...from the strings??? [lol]

if he hears thr sound when his hands isn't on the strings,

it's clearly a grounding issue [flapper]

Archived