Gibson Brands Forums

Buying my first guitar, need help choosing!

at1991

I prefer the John Lennon....actually you should look at the Epiphone AJ220sce perhaps in vs (vintage sunburst.) That is the best guitar for the money. I just got one and love it.It sounds better than the hummingbird and dove for sure! Only $299, you'll need a good humidity proof case cause the top is solid spruce. Good luck!

If you ask me, and you have, 'Bird is the word.'

I like the Hummingbird as it has a warm and woody tone due to the mahogany back and sides. The 'Bird and Dove have a better mid-range, best for accompanying ones self or other single voice.

For all intents and purpose, the 'Dove' is a Hummingbird with maple back and sides. This lends a brighter tone which may be more to your liking.

I need help picking the best guitar, I've done some research and narrowed it down to these 5:

1. Hummingbird

2. Dove

3. Dave Navarro

4. John Lennon EJ-160E

5. Masterbilt DR-500MCE

If you can find a Hummingbird Artist, you'll save a few bucks from the regular 'bird. Just sans bird! Good advice on the AJ220, though, IMO.

I'm a Masterbilt fan, but for a first guitar, maybe best to spend less.

Everything you list is dreadnought-size. May we assume that you are not at all considering a small-bodied box?

If you can find a Hummingbird Artist, you'll save a few bucks from the regular 'bird. Just sans bird! Good advice on the AJ220, though, IMO.

I'm a Masterbilt fan, but for a first guitar, maybe best to spend less.

Everything you list is dreadnought-size. May we assume that you are not at all considering a small-bodied box?

I'm going for a dreadnought-size, won't consider a small-bodied box.

I've got an aj500me and a PR5e.

Two significantly different guitars and both work very well for what I use them for.

Actually I got the smaller cutaway version 'cuz I figured it'd work better for pre-electric fingerstyle blues and some old cowboy stuff. It looks so much like the old 1950s Florentine cutaway Gibbie that a rancher/musician friend has that it's frightening.

I got the big Masterbilt 'cuz I figured I'd flatpick the heck out of it with some old time music pickers around here. But... next thing I knew I had the action way down low and I was fingerpickin' bluesy-jazzy stuff instead.

So... Now I'm looking at that "cheapie" aj220sce to haul to the acoustic pickin' places. <chuckle> Can't win, eh?

To put it bluntly, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the AE Epis that come with preamps and tuners, contrary to what some have griped about in terms of the two-pickup Masterbilts.

That AJ220sce seems to be the best bang for the buck for a beginner, though. With a decent hard case, should last a lifetime with a bit of care; and it'll stand in the same functionality stable with guitars that cost literally 10 times as much that you might be inclined to buy some day. You'll still haul the Epi to barbecues 'stedda the pricier one - or at least, you should.

The Masterbilt should indeed sound better acoustically. Mine certainly does, although the bigger AJ220sce should too, just not as much better.

OTOH, a good amp setup can cover a lotta that difference when played AE.

I took the PR5e to a cowboy poetry/music program, ran it through the board, and some Brit video guys who do a lotta music vids said it was up to any AE they'd heard... Since they didn't dishonestly mention my vocal qualities, I think I believe them that the guitar did quite well. <grin>

m

While I have grown used to my Texan FT79 I do prefer a Rosewood back and side guitar. Those type of guitars where just to expensive for my budget at that time.

If you have money to burn, I'm happy for you and wish I was more in your shoes but if so I'd go for a real Gibson and not an Epiphone. Epiphones are great for the money and I would have to think really hard before I got rid of mine but they are very much 2nd fiddle to a Gibson.

I'll go to a large store ie Guitar Center, Sam Ash or what ever you have in your area and try all the guitars in my price range so as to see what is there. The right one will tell me from the moment I pick it up, acoustic guitars will very likely have slight variations from guitar to guitar as they cross the finish line at the factory. I look for the guitar with the flattest sound...not to boomy not to nasally, not to bright, I also like a guitar that is loud and pronounced across the board as I sing loud so there's some thing to think about to if you will be singing.

Most companies are very good about QC but a certain tone is some times what make's a particular guitar in many people's eye's (or ears) stand out. How it feels in your hand (neck) is some thing else to think about as well as how your arms fit around it, is it comfortable to hold in other words.

Of coarse this is my point of view and may not apply to you as you may not be going to play a lot (as I do) so what you personally like may be all you need to look at when you make your pick.

Good luck and welcome to guitar's

Unfortunately there just ain't no thing as a "best" guitar. One man's treasure is another man's pile of junk.

I can't recommend a guitar to somebody I don't know. Not trying to be nasty but a guitar is too personal a choice based on a whole of of things like are you primarily a strummer, flatpicker or fingerpicker. You might be able to go right with any of the five and you could also go wrong with any of the five. Only way too tell is to go out and play a bunch of them.

Hi folks,

Much like the original post here, I have been looking at the Masterbilt DR-500MCE. One of the posts here mentioned something about people on this forum having a beef with the Shadow dual pickup system. I thought it sounded great, when plugged-in, but was wondering if you could share any negatives about the electronics on this guitar?

The only beef I had with the one I played was that it did not have a compensated saddle, as depicted in Epi online images associated with this model (and action was WAY too high). I own a Gibson Les Paul but never dealt with Epi and was wondering if this saddle switch was part of their M.O. despite their rhetoric about quality control? After all, there are $300 guitars that come with a compensated bone saddle.

Thanks,

Steve

I've got an aj500me and a PR5e.

Two significantly different guitars and both work very well for what I use them for.

Actually I got the smaller cutaway version 'cuz I figured it'd work better for pre-electric fingerstyle blues and some old cowboy stuff. It looks so much like the old 1950s Florentine cutaway Gibbie that a rancher/musician friend has that it's frightening.

I got the big Masterbilt 'cuz I figured I'd flatpick the heck out of it with some old time music pickers around here. But... next thing I knew I had the action way down low and I was fingerpickin' bluesy-jazzy stuff instead.

So... Now I'm looking at that "cheapie" aj220sce to haul to the acoustic pickin' places. <chuckle> Can't win, eh?

To put it bluntly, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the AE Epis that come with preamps and tuners, contrary to what some have griped about in terms of the two-pickup Masterbilts.

That AJ220sce seems to be the best bang for the buck for a beginner, though. With a decent hard case, should last a lifetime with a bit of care; and it'll stand in the same functionality stable with guitars that cost literally 10 times as much that you might be inclined to buy some day. You'll still haul the Epi to barbecues 'stedda the pricier one - or at least, you should.

The Masterbilt should indeed sound better acoustically. Mine certainly does, although the bigger AJ220sce should too, just not as much better.

OTOH, a good amp setup can cover a lotta that difference when played AE.

I took the PR5e to a cowboy poetry/music program, ran it through the board, and some Brit video guys who do a lotta music vids said it was up to any AE they'd heard... Since they didn't dishonestly mention my vocal qualities, I think I believe them that the guitar did quite well. <grin>

m

I just picked up an AJ220sce. wasn't going to get another guitar. I usually buy high end guitars but did want one for camping trips, fireside playing etc. Four times I picked it up,couldn't believe the sound and action for the price, and four times I sat it down. Finally I bought that Epi AJ220sce. Mine is flawless. I bought it at Guitar Center...I HAD to have it! It perfect for the price sounds and plays well. And it DOES look like a 2000 dollar guitar in vintage sunburst.Visually it is far nicer than my $3300 Martin rosewood jumbo. Perhaps I just happened on a good one. But I'll tell you, this one is real nice, and I'm used to playing $3000 Gibsons and Taylors. Get one before it is too late. I suggest you get one where you can doodle on it first..that's what sold me. Unbelievable guitar for just $299 and the top is solid spruce with a bone nut and saddle. I suspect guitar Center must have done a set up on it because the action is just too perfect to believe. If they did not, then this guitar is a real steal! I bought a good SKB case because the top is solid, so it will get the full treatment as all the high end guitars. I just can't get over how much I like it for the price. I feel like I have stolen a guitar for that price!

Archived