Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson LG-0 Acoustic

Plus Top Dan

Last November my stepmum was going through some of her late dads belongings when she found an oldish looking guitar case made from cardboard faux reptile skin of some sort. Inside was what she has been told is a Gibson Lg-0 flat top acoustic serial number 44587. I've found some information below, but can anybody tell me a bit more about this model? Does anybody else here own one? I don't think it's a particularly rare or valuable guitar but she's getting it tweaked and set up by a luthier near where she lives. I can't post photos at this time due the the guitar being with the luthier, but at some point i'll try toget hold of some.

Gibson LG-0 Acoustic Flat Top ( 1958 - 1974 ) In late 1958 gibson introduced the gibson Lg-0 , this guitar was a very popular guitar amongst students ... it was an overall great sounding guitar and out performed most guitars in its price range ( listed at $85 in 1960 ) . Price was low and affordable , the small neck made it comfortable to play, the action was just right and the tone was full with a deep quality bass sound found on more expensive guitars. In 1960 the Lg-0 guitar was listed in gibsons catalog as a top seller, early models ( 1958 to 1961 ) were superior in sound and quality because they were fitted with a brazilian rectangular rosewood bridge which works well tonally with mahogany tops. In 1958 to 1961 the lg-0 had a straight rectangular rosewood bridge ( see pic courtesy of ebay) , mahogany top/body, round soundhole, black screwed on teardrop pickguard ,rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays , 24 3/4 scale , black peghead w/screened logo and were made in natural mahogany finishes . In 1962 these guitars were selling so well that gibson was concerned with warranty repairs, gibson replaced the rectangular rosewood bridge with a plastic bridge screwed on by 4 bolts from the inside of the guitar , the plastic bridge was cheaper to produce and repair ,. In 1968 gibson replaced the plastic bridge with a rosewood bridge and an adjustable saddle . The gibson lg-0 was discontinued in 1974 . Vintage Price Value For 2007 : 1958 - 1961 > $950 to $1200 ( lg-0 rosewood bridge ) 1962 - 1966 > $600 to $950 ( lg-0 plastic bridge ) 1967 - 1974 > $500 to $750 ( lg-o rosewood bridge ) guitar price guide1958 - 1961 >

There are plenty of LG-O owners here who will chime in. That serial number is one of Gibson's ambiguous ones, but is most likely 1974. Pictures would help.

It was Gibson's entry-level flat-top, and as such, is not particularly valuable. The prices you post (from 2007) are probably just a bit high for today's market, but these can be sweet little guitras for not much money, and they do have a following.

Thanks Guys [thumbup]

I've passed on the info to my stepmum. She already knew it wasn't worth anything, even if it was that guitar has too much sentimental meaning to her to sell it!!

I have seen those older Gibson chipboard cases in really good condition go for $125 and more on their own.

Thanks Guys [thumbup]

I've passed on the info to my stepmum. She already knew it wasn't worth anything, even if it was that guitar has too much sentimental meaning to her to sell it!!

In good condition they go for $400 -$600

Archived