Gibson Brands Forums

6 Digit CS serial numbers

Serf2ndClass

I bought a new ES-330L about a month ago, great guitar!

I have a question about the new 6 digit CS serial numbers. All of the serial number de-coders I have read about state that CS production serial numbers will always be CS followed by 5 digits, where the first digit is the year.

The serial number on my guitar is CS15xxxx.

I take this to mean made in 2011, but I can't beleive the CS knocked out 50000+ guitars in 2011 so what do the other 5 digits mean?

I've seen this on a lot of CS guitars now (ones I looked at when buying), Also I know someone with a cs-356 which is CS103xxx.

Incidentally, does anyone have the original spec or any Gibson released details on the es-330L? As it's now out of production I can't find anything apart from the dealer info.

Thanks in advance.

Tell me how it helps. Did you read my post?

My full serial number is CS154648, I have it in front of me right now so that's definitely the number.

Custom Shop regular production models

CSYRRRR

CS stands for "Custom Shop"

Y indicates the production year

RRRR indicates the guitar's place in the sequence of production

Example: CS10845 is the 845th reg. production CS model produced in 2001.

So my guitar is Custom Shop production number 54648 from 2011?? Sounds like a lot of guitars to me!

Thanks Stijn, So are you confirming that the 5 indicates a Memphis guitar?

I was guessing that the '5' is either for Memphis. or perhaps for the 330, but it would be nice if this could be confirmed 100%

I have emailed Gibson, and although this may be completely uninteresting to most on this forum, I am very curious to confirm.

Yes I realised that shortly after I had written my response.

Presumably one doesn't have to be an employee of Gibson to use that Avatar, but the group "Customer Services Team" clinches it.

I'm new to these forums as you can see.

Anyway, It's pretty clear to me that "5" is Memphis and probably "0" is Nashville, but the wording of the response is slightly vague if this is the case. I don't really understand why Gibson doesn't either make their serial numbers completely obscure and stop publishing them, if it's counterfeits they are worried about, or explain fully and update descriptions of the method, which is clearly a new one.

.... I don't really understand why Gibson doesn't either make their serial numbers completely obscure and stop publishing them, if it's counterfeits they are worried about, or explain fully and update descriptions of the method, which is clearly a new one.

No argument here. I don't think the cause is worry about counterfeits. Gibson's history with serial numbers is a nightmare. They've tried to clean it up since the mid-70s, but they keep sticking in changes for limited/special runs/editions, reissues, commemorative editions, signature editions and Custom Shop pieces. And to make matters worse, the documentation of these 'out of normal format' numbers is lacking to say the least. Unfortunately the community and customers are the last to know what's going on - sometimes by years.

Gibson USA serial numbers are pretty straightforward. It's the Custom Shop numbering that is so very weird. Both Nashville and Memphis have their own numbering systems and styles. Some are printed or embossed on the back of the headstock and others are only on the label inside the body. All the limited runs are truly one off serials.

At least they are consistent with their inconsistencies.

I don't really follow the ES line much, but as I understand it, all ES models are made in Memphis. Bodies for historic ES guitars ('59 & '63 reissues) begin life in Memphis and are then sent to Nashville for completion. These do not have serial numbers on the back of the headstock.

If the guitar has a label inside, the label itself should say either "Memphis" or "Nashville" at the bottom. That should be enough to tell you where it was built.

Yes I already knew where my guitar was made, and I already knew what year it was made, but it's nice to have an explanation of what the serial number means isn't it? We now know (more or less) that since about 2010 Memphis numbering starts from 50000, there is Gibson precident for this sort of numbering scheme I think.

R9, I think you're right about the ES's. Memphis Custom shop basically does the production ES's, solids and historics done in Nashvillle.

• 2 years later...

Tell me how it helps. Did you read my post?

My full serial number is CS154648, I have it in front of me right now so that's definitely the number.

Custom Shop regular production models

CSYRRRR

CS stands for "Custom Shop"

Y indicates the production year

RRRR indicates the guitar's place in the sequence of production

Example: CS10845 is the 845th reg. production CS model produced in 2001.

So my guitar is Custom Shop production number 54648 from 2011?? Sounds like a lot of guitars to me!

I have the same question,with a 6 digit serial. Anyone help ? serial cs104260 cs yrrrr with my serial csyyrrrr so year 10 = 2010 production number 4260 ?

really 4260 custom LP's made in 2010 ? or as some say year 2001 production number 4260 ?

Originally CSYRRRR.

But now that both Nashville and Memphis are issuing CS numbers, the forumula is CSYXRRRR

where CS is Custom Shop; . Y is the year of manufacture; . X is the location of the CS; . and RRRR is the production rank. . . . X=> . 0=Nashville . 5=Memphis

Gibson is notoriously slow at update the info on their website.

CS 104260

The first digit in the serial is the last digit of the year of manufacture - a 1 so probably 2011

The second digit is 0 which means the guitar was built/finished in Nashville

The next four digits are the production rank = 4260

• 1 year later...

Hi! I just purchased Gibson ES339 Custom Shop, the serial number is CS050323 - I cannot find any clear information about this model... My guitar has diamond inlay on the headstock and I can't really find any pictures or information about this guitar... Can anyone help me out with this one?

post-76145-057813700 1452095550_thumb.jpg

Hi! I just purchased Gibson ES339 Custom Shop, the serial number is CS050323 - I cannot find any clear information about this model... My guitar has diamond inlay on the headstock and I can't really find any pictures or information about this guitar... Can anyone help me out with this one?

Look at the orange label inside the bass side F-hole. I bet it is an ES359 not a 339. CS050323 will "probably" be a 2010 made in Memphis and the 323rd one from that run.

Look at the orange label inside the bass side F-hole. I bet it is an ES359 not a 339. CS050323 will "probably" be a 2010 made in Memphis and the 323rd one from that run.

Sorry, I overlooked the diamond inlay point. [blush] This would indeed say it's an ES-359. Then there's the golden hardware, too. My fault.

+1

Yep. I have a 359 and that's what you have there - split diamond headstock inlay and block markers.

Welcome and congrats on your gorgeous 359. . B)

• 5 years later...

I have a EB 2 DE bass that has a handwritten Gipson manufacturer label.  The bass is setup different from EB 2 and EB 2D that I can locate. It has two separate pickups below the humbucker pickup about 2 inches.  The label has the model written as EB 2 DE. The bass only has two knobs not four. My guess by the serial number it was manufactured between 1965 and 68. Any Ideas?