Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: '09 Epi AIMM L.E. Riviera (Custom Shop)

LPDEN

The custom features such as the Frequensator Bridge, Mini-Hums and touches like the black knobs make this one of the most unique factory-custom Rivieras I've come across.

The "frequensator" is the name for the tailpiece. It looks like your bridges are tune-o-matics... unless I'm missing something here. :unsure:

At any rate, nice guitars! [thumbup]

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1333407783[/url]' post='1168318']

It's interesting, that you could get a "Riviera" (or, any Epiphone) from an AIMM dealer.

Supposedly, Gibson/Epiphone doesn't participate, with those dealers. :-k[confused][unsure]

I wonder, if they (the AIMM dealer) got it, from a participating Euro, or Canadian dealer,

if indeed, that's possible??? Very interesting!

CB

Hi CB, The dealer I bought this from is an Authorized Gibson/Epi (and the other Gibson Family brands) dealer and an AIMM member shop too. Actually they are a pretty large independent dealer here in the NYC metro area. These AIMM models they had were all 2009/2010 leftover models and are designated on their receipt as an AIMM LE model. The one's I took home were in the original factory boxes with the factory shipping label to the dealer still on the box. In addition to the Riviera they had as an AIMM exclusive, they also had the AIMM LE G-400 tagged as such that I purchased and posted about as well. Maybe this policy you mentioned if in effect now changed after the 2009/2010 model year about not making AIMM exclsusive models which certainly could be the case. I can ask my dealer about his, but this is the first I am hearing about Gibson having any restrictions with their AIMM member dealers for exclsuive models made specifically for AIMM. I'll let know what the dealer says if the have any info about this.

Hi J-D, Most Archtop players are taken in because of the versatlity of the instruments. I find that even more so with the mini-hums. Unless you're strictly an active pickup user for your heavy metal tone, you may find a desirable expansion path with mini-hums in a Archy.

Hey Lpden, no I don't need active p/u's, in fact I have one geet with them but i prefer passives. I know, crazy right? Haha! I will have an Archy one day.

Hey Lpden, no I don't need active p/u's, in fact I have one geet with them but i prefer passives. I know, crazy right? Haha! I will have an Archy one day.

Good deal! Have fun in the hunt for one that works for you! The search is half the pleasure of acquiring one!

Now that you've had both for a little while, how do they compare, have you noticed any differences between them, does one feel better than the other, or is there any tonal differences etc ?

Now that you've had both for a little while, how do they compare, does one feel better than the other, or is there any tonal differences etc ?

Aside from a very slight adjustment to lower the action, with a set of strings on the second one they both seem to be pretty equal out of the gate. So far I don't hear any discernible differences in the tone at this point in any pickup selection position through either my AC15C1 or my friend's Blackstar HT Club 40 that he's lending me at the moment. I thought at first that maybe the bridge pickup was getting a bit more treble out of it with the tone pot turned down, but if it's there it's too close to say it's measurable. I'm certainly a fan of these Alnico Classic Mini Hums that were selected for these. The really dig in and clean up nicely too. The overall fit and finish on both are very well done. The binding work is clean and damage free on each and the frets are well dressed. Nothing loose and no crackles or hiccups from the electronics. One of the guys at the next jam is supposed to bring his video gear, so I'll try and get one of these in front of the camera to share some sound samples.

Hi CB, The dealer I bought this from is an Authorized Gibson/Epi (and the other Gibson Family brands) dealer and an AIMM member shop too. Actually they are a pretty large independent dealer here in the NYC metro area. These AIMM models they had were all 2009/2010 leftover models and are designated on their receipt as an AIMM LE model. The one's I took home were in the original factory boxes with the factory shipping label to the dealer still on the box. In addition to the Riviera they had as an AIMM exclusive, they also had the AIMM LE G-400 tagged as such that I purchased and posted about as well. Maybe this policy you mentioned if in effect now changed after the 2009/2010 model year about not making AIMM exclusive models which certainly could be the case. I can ask my dealer about his, but this is the first I am hearing about Gibson having any restrictions with their AIMM member dealers for exclusive models made specifically for AIMM. I'll let know what the dealer says if the have any info about this.

Yeah, I only read that Gibson/Epiphone doesn't participate in AIMM dealer/distributions, on several other

AIMM web sites. So, I don't know, for sure, if that's true of ALL AIMM dealers, or just those select few???

Anyway, I'm glad (for you) that you were able to get one! Great guitars, and more "historically accurate,"

at least in some aspect's, than previous models. Good Show!!

CB

Very nice guitar. Love the Frequensator-style tailpiece. Makes for a really great look

I agree. What's your opinion on the difference of tone from say a traditional trapeze tailpiece with the variable length of string after the bridge r:e the bass and treble?

Since there are variances between the guitars I own that have each style it would be difficult for me to say that one made produced a different sound than the other...

Yeah, I only read that Gibson/Epiphone doesn't participate in AIMM dealer/distributions, on several other

AIMM web sites. So, I don't know, for sure, if that's true of ALL AIMM dealers, or just those select few???

Anyway, I'm glad (for you) that you were able to get one! Great guitars, and more "historically accurate,"

at least in some aspect's, than previous models. Good Show!!

CB

Agreed. The fact that they were able to do these to those specs is very cool, and since there seemingly scarce why I don't mind acquiring the ones that turned up...

After pondering just which AIMM dealers got these I started making some phone calls to inquire specifically about this model and located one more '09 Riviera. This shop also said they had a Limited AIMM Korina Explorer on hand too, they thought it was from 2010. The other shops had nothing, most saying the ones that any they may have had were all sold out. Since the shop that did have these in were further than I was willing to travel to, I had both shipped as they have a satisfaction return policy in case there is anything objectionable with either guitar. Even though both were shipped at the same time, the Riviera showed up first last night. I presume the Explorer will show up sometime today since it somehow didn't make it on the same delivery yesterday.

I'm sensing that you like Rivieras, a lot.

BTW: HNGD x 2

Thanks! Yes, The first of the now 3 has received the lion's share of playing time since it's arrival. A buddy of mine who attends our jam group get together liked it alot when he played the first one, so in the back of my mind I sort of went for this recent one a with the idea of grabbing it for him should he want it. If not, it's got a happy home here.

1333564153[/url]' post='1170075']

Man!!! [scared] Most of us can't find ONE...much less 3! LOL [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Maybe, you should put a Bigsby, on one of them?! Just for fun?! [biggrin]

CB

I'm sure there are more out here in the States. I've seen some video reiews and comments on the versions shipped to the Euro market where there seems to be a supply of this design too. Based on conversation with him last night, one the guys who jams with our group asked me to set aside this recent one for him after I told him about it. I sort of thought he'd want after saying he wanted to add an archtop and liked the mini-hums.

1333623665[/url]' post='1170764']

HNTRGD - Happy New Third Riviera Guitar Day.

Can't wait to see the Explorer.

Thanks! It showed up last night. I immediately noticed the box label said AIMM Firebird, not Explorer. The box was marked correctly, inside was a Firebird in Korina with the C.S. logo. A nice surprise actually! Always been a Korina fan, and this Firebird is cool! When I get back home today, I'll test it out and see how it sounds and feels. I call the shop and let them know about he model mix up to see if they made a mistake on the model on the phone, and if there is a price difference.

Excellent! The only visual difference I see at a quick glance is the truss rod cover.

It has a "crown" symbol on the headstock rather than a "dot". Although their image might be mistakenly a year 200x.

screenshot20120405at120.jpg

Heres a non catalogue shot of that model:

Riviera_Front_Full.jpg

It has a "crown" symbol on the headstock rather than a "dot". Although their image might be mistakenly a year 200x.

screenshot20120405at120.jpg

Heres a non catalogue shot of that model:

Riviera_Front_Full.jpg

Yep, I see that now in the enlarged photo. I didn't click on the smaller image in your original link and missed it, but the tip off for me should have been the with TRC. This one has the modern variation, not the vintage style '64-'69 style. The modern version one here is just like Mark's Riviera that he posted back in post #31.

Archived