Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Supreme - is it real? How can I tell?

Richmeister2

I was able to pick up what I think is a real Les Paul Supreme at a pawn shop. But I got home and started really looking at it am I'm starting to wonder if it's really a true Les Paul.

The head stock is VERY similar to what I've seen on the web, but the letters aren't as clear as the pictures I've seen. It has a two screw bell tension rod cover and the right keys, but it doesn't say "Les Paul" on the cover, and on the back of the body, it has the access panels for the electronics, which I haven't seen on any Supreme pictures.

Can someone help me identify this guitar? I am a drummer, but play a little, so bear with me on the specifics.

Supremes should have a "planet" logo on the headstock instead of the signature and should not have access panels on the back. It sounds like a fake to me, unless you've got the model mixed up. The truss rod cover should have two screws as you described and be kind of a gold-colour, and it does not have "Les Paul" or any writing for that matter engraved on it. Pictures would be helpful. Until then, don't buy, that's my advice.

Are all the globes on the headstock exactly the same? This has some sort of inlaid which is very similar to what I've seen, but not exact, and "Supreme" looks like it was hand-etched as opposed to "typeset".

I'm going to some local experts, but assuming that it's a fraud, it's still a really good fake! Who is making these?

Rich, I hope you didn't get ripped off. Mind also sharing what you paid for it?

Either way...if you're in the US, you can probably force the pawn shop to give you a refund if you threaten to contact Gibson and get them involved. If it is a fake, I don't care how good the quality is...don't keep it.

The pawn shop is as reputable as a pawn shop could be, so I would think they'd give me a refund. How I paid for it is a little different: I do websites for a living and I'm in a trade exchange where I get "trade (monopoly) money" to buy stuff from other folks in the exchange. The pawn shop is in the exchange, so I paid $1,200 in trade, and then $84 in cash money for taxes.

I don't need to see the photos. If it says Supreme on the headstock and it has a control cavity that's accessed from the back, it's a fake.

The Les Paul Supreme has an extra wide input jack opening and the electronics are installed through there. Here's a real one...

GuitarLPSupremeBody001web.jpg

And a shot of the back...

Gibson_Les_Paul_Supreme_Root_Beer.jpg

Thanks junkie, that should clarify eveything for our new friend... I had this idea he might not have a supreme but a classic or even a standard (matches description and price used, but sadly not the "globe/supreme" thingy...).

I have never understood why they designed them with no access to the control cavity... (not an easy one, that is).

I have never understood why they designed them with no access to the control cavity... (not an easy one' date=' that is).[/quote']

When they put a AAAAA flame maple back on a guitar, the last thing they want to do is rout out 30% of it. Especially when you're charging hundreds of extra dollars based on that back.

When they put a AAAAA flame maple back on a guitar' date=' the last thing they want to do is rout out 30% of it. Especially when you're charging hundreds of extra dollars based on that back.[/quote']

Ok, I didnt explain myself the way I should have... Why the hell did they design them so that they would use a nice AAAAA maple cap on the back!!! It just sounds nuts... no one will see that thing in there... the only one that will be close enough to it is ... welll... you know who hehehehe

FAKE!!FAKE!!FAKE!!FAKE!!FAKE!!

FU%&!!

Fake Les Paul Supreme

when I took off the tension rod cover, it shows the 3 screws that are on the fakes. Someone had put a 2 screw bell plate on this, but the bottom screw was not even drilled into anything! Note crappy logos and lines are not neat and straight. Wires are a mess. What about the case? Guess that's fake too?

Ugh....

btw - how did you guys upload photos?

You are damn right it is a fake... they are selling those "suprOmes" over here too... I have outed some of those bastards...

It has SUPROME writen on the headstock... the gibson logo is wrong... bridge: wronog, pickup rings: wrong, neck joint: wrong, back of the body: wrong, fretboard: wrong, frets: wrong, switch: wrong, TRC: wrong, the truss rod itself is completely wrong... there's a reason Gibson ships those "wrenches", that's because their TR is hexagonal... (instead of needing a hexagonal key).

The case, of course, is wrong too.

Supossing this wasnt a supreme but a standard fake, the backplates are wrong too.

The way the body is cut is weird too.

The pawn shop is actually really reputable (there's some sort of oxy moron there, but...) He actually took the guitar as pawn, so the guy was supposed to come back and get it. When he didn't show up, the pawn shop owner put it out on the floor. I had to tell him why it was a fake - don't think he knew at all.

So... did he give you your money/credit back? He also should take that thing away and not try to sell it again... he can end up in jail for that (now that he knows it is a fake, supposing he didnt know the whole time).

If he has info on the guy who brought that thing to him, maybe he can get his *** jailed.

Archived