Gibson Brands Forums

Granadillo? Whats Up?

eyerish

Yes it is a Rosewood.

I'll try to explain it in simplistic terms for you.

Rosewood is a general term used to describe the timber derived from a large number of species of tree - Granadillo being amongst their number.

You have almost explained it to yourself. Taking your own analogies as a starting point;

A grapefruit isn't an orange but, as you yourself wrote, both can be labelled as 'citrus fruits' because they are, in effect, subspecies of that particular 'set' of fruits as distinct from, say, a banana.

Soccer isn't the same as American Football but both can be labelled 'ball games' because they are subspecies of that set of games played with a ball as opposed to, say, fencing.

Granadillo isn't the same as Brazillian Rosewood but they can both be labelled 'Rosewood' because they are both subspecies of that set of trees classified as being 'Rosewood' as opposed to, say, Oak.

We can't call Granadillo 'Brazillian Rosewood' for the simple reason that it isn't Brazillian Rosewood - same as a grapefruit isn't an orange and soccer isn't American Football.

Pip.

You are now on my ignore list.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Granadillo on my new 2014 is listed everywhere in print as Rosewood. I thought it looked very light or reddish compared to all the other many Rosewood fret boards Ive owned. I thought I had a Rosewood fret board on my expensive LP. It's not Rosewood so stop calling it Rosewood in sales brochures!!!

I just wanted to find an oil to use once a year that might darken the Granadillo just a tad since I use fret board oil anyhow. Why not use an oil that darkens? I'm not trying to blacken the Granadillo.

[/quote

I don't know if this happens to others too, but the more I play those rosewood fingerboards the darker they get.

And mostly I wash my hands before playing.

On my 14 Trad I only used the Gibson fretboard conditioner once, because it was dry as hell when I bought it.

It was so dry it had spots where it almost had a grey-ish colour.

I guess if I keep playing them regularly I won't need to use any products on my boards.

Definitely no need for poisoning the atmosphere at the Forums. People were trying to help. They took the time to answer Your questions the best they could.

Even though, You weren't satisfied with the answers, but You may with Your next questions. Nobody offended You, people at this Forums never will, until the debate goes on in civilized manner.

Best wishes... Bence

I don't know if this happens to others too, but the more I play those rosewood fingerboards the darker they get.

And mostly I wash my hands before playing.

That is pretty normal, sweat darkens the wood, but uneven ... the most played frets get much darker than the rest of the fretboard, which for my taste looks pretty ugly. Oiling the fretboard two times a year protects it from drying out and against sweat, so those dark spots can be avoided.

I dont much care about the colour of the fingerboard, but I do care what its made of.

As long as it plays and sounds good and you like the look, it shouldn't be a problem, right?

I think all musicians of wood instruments should keep in mind, that we talk about endangered tree species here. I myself often have a very bad feeling, when I buy a guitar with an ebony fretboard. On the other hand I find these new Richlite boards horrible, they feel like plastic.

For me, that is some kind of inner conflict, because I don't want the lungs of earth to be distroyed.

As long as it plays and sounds good and you like the look, it shouldn't be a problem, right?

I think all musicians of wood instruments should keep in mind, that we talk about endangered tree species here. I myself often have a very bad feeling, when I buy a guitar with an ebony fretboard. On the other hand I find these new Richlite boards horrible, they feel like plastic.

For me, that is some kind of inner conflict, because I don't want the lungs of earth to be distroyed.

Yeah it's sad.

But the destroying of rainforests and the habitat of lots of species is far more affected from meat and soy production to name some.

I don't care what type of wood the use for fretboards as long it is wood.

If you want it dark bake or stain it.

Richlite is ok, maybe on a 200 bucks guitar.

But on a Custom? No way!

But the destroying of rainforests and the habitat of lots of species is far more affected from meat and soy production to name some.

Really? Without wanting to be offensive, but that sounds like a marketing slogan of the car industry ... just some food for further thoughts. Many tree species are endangered because of the huge demand for exotic woods, be it for instruments, furniture or floor.

If you want it dark bake or stain it.

Yes, or color it with wood dye.

Richlite is ok, maybe on a 200 bucks guitar.

But on a Custom? No way!

Exactly ... but I fear, the Netherland's company Aristides shows the future of guitars, which are built mainly without wood and are said to feel and play superb ... fact is, they sound great.

http://aristidesinstruments.com

Uncle Donny used to boil mixture of leather dye with linseed oil.

Yeah, I remember his report about his Signature T with many photos here in the forum. He wanted the fretboard to look like ebony and he really made it.

Btw, because you find the Aristides interesting ... they gain a raising popularity in the Metal community. I found them by chance, when I was in search for a 7-string.

A further example is Ovation for their "semi-plastic" approach on acoustics.

Really? Without wanting to be offensive, but that sounds like a marketing slogan of the car industry ... just some food for further thoughts. Many tree species are endangered because of the huge demand for exotic woods, be it for instruments, furniture or floor.

I know, I know...

My point was that the guitar industry is only a small fraction of the whole problem.

I really wished that our species would stop to destroy, poison and kill the earth.

But the truth is money seems to be more important.

The day mankind will see what a gigantic mistake they have made it will be too late. Probably it already is!

I am no friend of any indrustrial raping of our mother planet, and it really makes me sad how our species has evolved into a parasitic entity.

There is no respect for life, not for plants, animals and humans, all that matters is money.

Back on topic, I like instruments made out of wood. I have no problem with a guitar made out of comon and abundant lumber, really.

I like the feel, and I like the looks.

And I do believe that it vibrates and resonates, and that this has some influece on the sound.

For example my LPJ has a maple neck instead of mahagony, I don't care.

It sounds like a Les Paul and it feels good. And comparing it to my Traditional you could only rest some points for the striped down looks.

And from what I have read it may be even more resistant to neck breakage.

I'm fine with guitars made out of plastic or whatever other synthetic materials, it's just not my thing.

If I would wanna play exclusively metal or punk I would probably go and let me print a guitar or make one out of graphite like Doyle von Frankensteins annihilator.

But again I prefere the classic look, feel and tone of a Gibson.

And the best thing is that when I crank the gain I can have total metal mayhem too.

My point was that the guitar industry is only a small fraction of the whole problem.

Think about how many guitars are built and sold every year, by many, many different manufacturers. I wouldn't call that a "small fraction". But you're absolutely right, that it is only part of the whole problem, that mankind has become some kind of parasite for this planet.

I'm fine with guitars made out of plastic or whatever other synthetic materials, it's just not my thing.

I absolutely understand your point, but we all need to learn, that the time will come, where there won't be ebony fretboards or even wood instruments at all ... in case mankind should learn.

If mankind doesn't learn ... well, watch this film to understand, what's the status quo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxENMKaeCU

I'd rather not have wood. Hagstrom's 'resinator' fingerboard is excellent (a homogeneous wood composite) as hard as ebony and feels pretty similar too.

In fact, I've been ready for an 'almost-non-wood' guitar for 40 years. This is a description of my 'Dream Guitar' I once posted (not here). The only wood is the fingerboard.

Neck

Neck Material: Carbon Fibre. Duel action ‘H’ section truss rod.

Neck Width: 1.75” (44.4mm) at nut. 2.36” (60.mm) at 12th fret

Neck Profile: ‘U’ full thickness

Scale: 25.5”

Fingerboard : Torrified Maple. Side markers only.

Fingerboard compound radius: 12”-16”

Frets: Banjo Wire. 24 frets nickle

Nut: Gibson style 2 piece steel adjustable

Head

PRS symmetric shape. 13 degree tilt back. Straight String Path. Schaller locking tuners.

Body

Body Shape: Double Cutaway Semi-Hollow Body. 85% sized (12” lower bout)

Body Material: Carbon Fibre with injection-molded & cured Polyamide Sub-Frame

Pickups

Under Saddle Godin Transducer

Neck: Rickenbacker Mini-Humbucker

Bridge: Rickenbacker Mini-Humbucker

Control config

Transducer Vol & Tone knobs + on/off toggle switch

Humbuckers: 1 master Vol. 1 master Tone knobs with 2 position selection

Bridge: Combi Stop Tail. 6 x roller saddle + independent height & intonation adjustment.

Strings

10-48 flatwound

This is a description of my 'Dream Guitar' I once posted (not here).

Sounds like it would be an interesting Jazz guitar, though I use Thomastik Jazz Swing on my Panther too and don't play Jazz, but more 'The Cult' inspired stuff ;)

The only wood is the fingerboard.

Why? Isn't there an alternative, you would like?

Sounds like it would be an interesting Jazz guitar, though I use Thomastik Jazz Swing on my Panther too and don't play Jazz, but more 'The Cult' inspired stuff ;)

Why? Isn't there an alternative, you would like?

Well, as I said before, resinator is fine. It may be similar to richlite in terms of composition, but Hagstrom keep its exact formula to themselves. They say it eliminates any & all wolf tones.

Torrified Maple would be a small indulgence though.

Features:

- Weight-relieved mahogany body in Les Paul shape

- AA flamed maple top

- Mahogany neck

- 22 frets

- '50s rounded style neck profile

- Dark rosewood fingerboard[end quote]

I pasted this from a zzsounds ad for a 2016 Traditional LP. Notice how they are trying to tell you this isn't Granadillo by using the term "dark Rosewood". They are telling you this isn't the cheaper, lighter red Central American Granadillo substitute

I pasted this from a zzsounds ad for a 2016 Traditional LP. Notice how they are trying to tell you this isn't Granadillo by using the term "dark Rosewood". They are telling you this isn't the cheaper, lighter red Central American Granadillo substitute

Even if it's really Granadillo, it's not cheaper, but less endangered !!! But lets have a closer look:

Well, the Gibson website calls it a "thicker rosewood fretboard" and the German top sellers call it just "Palisander", which means Rosewood in German.

I had a look at several dealer photos and noticed, that the fretboards are very dark on this model, even darker than Rosewood usually is. So it's for sure a reaction to customer demand, because most customers were complaining, that Granadillo is too light in color and often too orange.

So the question is, if it really is Granadillo, because I never saw such a dark Granadillo on any Signature T model and I saw many myself and many photos in the SigT thread of MyLesPaul. So whatever Rosewood it might be, it is not unlikely, that they dyed it to become darker. On most photos it looks nearly as dark as ebony.

And even if they did that, they wouldn't be the first company, doing that to satisfy customers, who usually want a black fretboard.

Is that a shame? In my opinion they are just doing, what they can, to satisfy the customer demand ... customers get nearly black fretboards without the need to oil or dye themselves.

PS: But this is all speculation by just judging fretboard wood only by photos.

PPS: One last word: Your posting sounds like "I pay a high price, so I expect my guitar to be made out of endangered species" ... so please think about it. I can understand though, that you are sceptic regarding Gibson's marketing strategy, but endangered species must be protected and Gibson is forced to accept international law regarding this topic.

...Notice how they are trying to tell you this isn't Granadillo by using the term "dark Rosewood". They are telling you this isn't the cheaper, lighter red Central American Granadillo substitute...

Perhaps because the 2016 Traditional has, according to official specs on the Gibson site, a dark rosewood fingerboard?

Do you ever check anything out before you have a rant?

Pip.

Even if it's really Granadillo, it's not cheaper, but less endangered !!! But lets have a closer look:

Well, the Gibson website calls it a "thicker rosewood fretboard" and the German top sellers call it just "Palisander", which means Rosewood in German.

I had a look at several dealer photos and noticed, that the fretboards are very dark on this model, even darker than Rosewood usually is. So it's for sure a reaction to customer demand, because most customers were complaining, that Granadillo is too light in color and often too orange.

So the question is, if it really is Granadillo, because I never saw such a dark Granadillo on any Signature T model and I saw many myself and many photos in the SigT thread of MyLesPaul. So whatever Rosewood it might be, it is not unlikely, that they dyed it to become darker. On most photos it looks nearly as dark as ebony.

And even if they did that, they wouldn't be the first company, doing that to satisfy customers, who usually want a black fretboard.

Is that a shame? In my opinion they are just doing, what they can, to satisfy the customer demand ... customers get nearly black fretboards without the need to oil or dye themselves.

PS: But this is all speculation by just judging fretboard wood only by photos.

PPS: One last word: Your posting sounds like "I pay a high price, so I expect my guitar to be made out of endangered species" ... so please think about it. I can understand though, that you are sceptic regarding Gibson's marketing strategy, but endangered species must be protected and Gibson is forced to accept international law regarding this topic.

Granadillo should not be called Rosewood. White Pine is not Lob Lolly Pine. 30wt oil isn't the same as 40wt oil yet you can use either in every car on the road. Both 30wt and 40wt do the same job. Yet they are different. Don't mix the two oils unless it's an emergency.

My $1300 Studio has a real Rosewood fret board but my much more pricey Standard has Granadillo.

BTW go take a white house tour. It's stuffed with rare wood furniture.

Gibson wasn't attacked by the feds for illegal wood. Gibson was attacked because its CEO donated money to the wrong political party. Gibson was attacked for thinking they had 1st amendments rights. Turns out they didn't.

Granadillo should not be called Rosewood. White Pine is not Lob Lolly Pine. 30wt oil isn't the same as 40wt oil yet you can use either in every car on the road. Both 30wt and 40wt do the same job. Yet they are different. Don't mix the two oils unless it's an emergency.

Hello!

Following this logic, we can quit calling Gibson guitar body timbers with the word "mahogany" too, right?

Bence.

Granadillo should not be called Rosewood.

And who says, that the 2016 Traditionals have Granadillo fretboards? Any proof available? Again ... these fretboards are too dark to be easily identified as being Granadillo.

Archived