Gibson Brands Forums

World's largest Coyote shot here

bonzoboy

...BTW a wolf won't attack a human and there has never been a documented wolf attack on a human...

Apparently you've never read "Little Red Riding Hood." :rolleyes:

Coyotes did not appear east of the Mississippi until someone built a bridge across that river.

Coydogs are a problem in some areas, crosses between,usually feral, dogs and a coyote. These canine's can certainly cross breed.

We are seeing greater incidences of wild predators, wolves, coyotes, pumas into urban areas. These animals are usually shy and don't want to purposely confront humans. Why are these wild animals venturing into very compact, full of humans, urban areas? They are hungry. They are either after pets or your garbage. However, once in your neighborhood, predators do not make a great distinction between Fido and little Suzie playing in the back yard. Word to the wise, keep an eye on your pets, keep a closer eye on your kids. A child playing in the back yard with an adult close by will make a puma hesitate. A lone kid with no one else around? It's academic.... lunch. Do you have a fence? build it bigger. A number of years ago, in a rural area, an animal who'se foot prints matched a puma (the DOC denies it could be a puma, as everyone knows there are none in this area) latched onto a 80 pound pig, then scaled or jumped an 8 foot fence. Since this incident, there have been confirmed puma sightings in Northern and Southern Illinois. It's hard for the DOC to blow off the carcass of one very large, dead puma a hunter found.

I am absolutely astounded at that fox coming up on someone's back porch. In my experience, foxes are extremely shy and if you EVER see one, you've probably seen your last. But for one to come right up on a human's back porch, in broad daylight, I thought I'd never see it. Foxes are usually nocturnal. I've only seen them in the wee hours of the morning. While a fox would probably not take down a human, of any size, they could do some damage if cornered. My guess is this fox was after the family cat's Little Friskies.

If a fox is in your hen house or a coyote or wolf pack is taking down your livestock, you should be able to protect them. I don't think it's fair for someone who does not live in these remote areas to dictate to rural dwellers what they deem to be a good shoot or a bad shoot.

Don't like killing animals?, then don't. Just don't preach to the ones who need to do it for practical reasons.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If a fox is in your hen house or a coyote or wolf pack is taking down your livestock, you should be able to protect them.

I am in complete agreement with these statements.

As far as the fox wandering about my patio goes;

He is quite distinctive as he has a small circular dark patch on his right flank.

His first appearance of the day will usually between two and three in the afternoon. We see him almost every day. Often we'll see him as I walk my aforementioned 7-y-o daughter back home the 300 yards from her school. Often he'll just be meandering in and out the front gardens having a sniff about. He's very comfortable walking down the pavements as people and cars are going past. Often we'll get to just a few feet from him before he walks around the other way and doubles back after we pass.

Urban foxes used to have good pickings round these parts from the rubbish bins but two years ago our local council issued every home a 'food recycling bin' where all food-based waste was placed (in compostable sacks) inside an 'animal-proof' locking plastic bin. Since the inception of this initiative the foxes have been more desperate to find food for themselves and any family they might have hence their appearing at all hours of the day.

There are about three families of foxes living in the allotments that run behind our garden wall. Chloe often watches them at play from her bedroom window. They used to play in our back lawn but as they also used to mark it with their spoor we took steps to try to prohibit their activities somewhat...

P.

@ David L,you are certainly right about the moose population,when the first moose were introduced here from Nova Scotia and New Brunswick in the early 20th century they did in fact have a natural predator-the Newfoundland Wolf which was a sub-species of the Eastern Timber Wolf but had evolved to be much much bigger. The Commission Government that was appointed by Mother England,in its wisdom put a bounty on the wolves so that the moose could reproduce freely to build up a sizeable population with hopes of attracting well heeled British gentry to come here and spend millions of pounds hunting.By 1928 all the wolves had been slaughtered and the moose still hadn't taken hold enough to attract the hoardes of hunters they had expected.In the past couple of decades though the moose population has skyrocketed and hardly a day goes by where there isn't a moose vehicle accident. Some fools say that they wouldn't happen if people slowed down and were vigilant but that isn't the case as in areas where the alders and other brush are close to the shoulders of the road a moose can leap out and actually land on a car without warning.I have come too close for comfort several times withing just 2 minutes drive from my home. One time on a foggy night the moose was so close to the car when I stopped that I could've reached out my wwindow and smacked him on the arse.People are up in arms against the government to take immediate action to remedy the sisuation but they are dragging their feet while literally dozens are killed every year from hitting moose.

A lot of people are calling for the Eastern Timber Wolf to be introduced to help control them and I was one of the first to suggest this some years ago.This would be a double edged sword strike because wolves would also help control the coyote population according to some of the literature I have read.

@ Tommy K re foxes: My eldest daughter is a police/enforcement officer in Labrador City and is also a licenced wildlife officer as is her boyfriend.Just this past weekend they were both called back to help deal with a rabid fox that had already bitten 3 or 4 dogs in the community.They shot the fox but what you wrote prompted me to warn people that if they are out in a wilderness area and any wild animal approaches them be very very wary and careful because there would be a pretty good chance that the animal is rabid .as one of the most obvious symptoms is the complete loss of fear of humans.

These are the official figures from the United Kingdom's governmental office, The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs;

• In England in 2008/09, there were over 5,000 hospital admissions resulting from being bitten or struck by a dog (excludes people treated in minor injury units (MIU) or accident and emergency (A&E) departments, without being admitted as an inpatient).
  • In 2009, dog attacks on people in England cost the Health Service £3.3 million.
  • Estimate of 6,000 dog attacks on postmen/women each year.

That's an astonishing 11,000 attacks per year - almost half of which required pretty serious hospital treatment. How many attacks by coyotes do you have per year, do you reckon?

This is after, please note, a ban on four species of dog came into place in 1991 outlawing ownership of those breeds deemed to be too dangerous to the general public following a series of savage killings by these types of animal.

So, again; should we kill all pet dogs - "preservation for the animal" as you put it - just to be on the safe side?

.....................................................................................To shed light on an opinion since you qouted my post...i have never kilt a coyot nor do i have a desire to..but since i have 2 dogs in a 3 acre fenced in area,and they are what ya call'family'so to speak..i am rdy at all /dir of the house to take care of business 24/7...comparing violent dogs vs coyots is a stretch in any form..my post was about 20+ head of cattle being killed where i live,not about a person getting bit by someones pet or the mass #'s of...your words come across as if i was 'there' lol, i was not..i only hunt to put dinner on the table and of course any means of protection necassary ie. an attack on me,g/f,pets...so just to clarify,i related a story of how a pack of 20-30 lb. coyots took out so many cattle,the public volunteered to help by means of as you say 'savage killing'..i didnt go help..i didnt go looking..i didnt call and ask if they needed help...i make a perimiter check every morning of the fence to ensure the dogs will not stray into the 60mph road i live on...and i keep to my own,so to all coyots,all dogs you mention via 1991 blah blah blah,and any other trespassers,dont cross the fence and there wont be a problem.These are the official forecasted results for 2012 where i live. [thumbup]

P.

I live right on the edge of the woods, only 200 feet away and the way I see it is the only good coyote is a dead one. There are too many small children in the area to allow an aggressive predator such as a coyote to roam free in our parts and as Bonzoboy has already stated there has already been a case of these animals killing a person on the island. To me public safety comes before someone else's perception of animal cruelty.

There is a dam good reason our ancestors eliminate wolf packs as they settled the "New World". This may come as a shock to our European cousins, but you did the same thing many generations ago, it's what you call being "cultured"..in other words the dirty work of settling a wilderness was done so long ago you don't remember it.In 1997 the Federal gov. decided that they should reintroduce wolves into our state, because when Easterners come out here to ski they like to see wild life....mmmm. The gov. biologist seem to have over looked a few things. Wolves reproduce! And they live in packs! And when those packs have pup's, they have to train the pups how to kill. Their favorite way to do this is to run down calves and their mothers, it's easy, the mothers will try to defend the calves and the wolves can tear them apart then kill the calves..now if you think, I'm talking about cow calves, you are wrong, I am talking about elk and deer calves, Oh they love wild to eat sheep and lamps and cows and horses and dog's and cats too. And they do not just kill what they need, they kill just to kill. Now the elk and deer population have collapsed, the "managers" of our federal lands seem to have over looked many other factors, like wolves have no natural predators, other than man. And Wolves roam a very large area, because after the kill everything in sight they move to another place to kill everything in sight. Now I have a suggestion. NYC was once a wilderness...it had wolves..hmm. Why don't we transplant some wolves to central park, then the panty waste limpwrist dirtbags wouldn't have to come here and tell us how to live in our state. Here is another idea....Do you know what a "wet lands" is? It's a swamp...it is illegal to drain a wet lands and back fill it and build on it...The EPA can and will fine you $30,000.00 per day(I know this because they are doing it to people here in Idaho) until you restore the wet lands to it's original condition. So here is my idea...Washington DC was built on a wet lands (swamp) it was drained, it was filled in, and it was built up....So lets see....$30,000.00 per day, since 1795......what national debt? And what better way to fix our problems then to tear down Washington DC>

I see no sport in causing death.Having said that if I absolutely had to for the sake of keeping myself alive I may be driven to it but since we are able to go to a supermarket and buy whatever food we like that's highly unlikely.I know that I'm going draw a lot of "fire" for this but I follow the teachings of Ghandi and have adopted his creedo of "Reverence for Life." A lot of my relatives and all of my in-laws hunt and so be it,I don't give them flak for what they choose to do and they respect my point of view also.I also am a member of several organizations dedicated to the protection of wolves and their habitat and give a considerable amount of money to these groups.As our native brothers believe I too believe that we have a kinship with the wolf.

Always my favorite argument from the hunting is wrong side - Why kill any animal when you just buy the food at the grocery store? I guess you go to a special store that only sells animals that died of natural causes or do you like almost everyone in the world today buy your food from huge processors that make hunting look like perhaps the kindest thing ever done to animals. Most modern men don't want to kill anything for meat, but their just fine buying beef that was stunned when a 3/8 inch bolt was shot into it forehead and then it was hung up on huge steel hooks and had it's throat cut to bleed it out. And that's not just one per hunter, nope that's every four seconds all day everyday just to keep up with demand.

As for coyotes and wolves there's almost nothing crueler or less humane that I can imagine or ever try to describe than watching a pack of predators like coyotes work together to terrorize, confuse, separate the weak or the young animals and then slaughter all they can. I use to have a small place outside of Tubac in southern Arizona and the coyote's were merciless against the locals sheep, chickens, cat's, small dogs and children if they weren't watched. I've probably shot 30-40 coyotes at a minimum over the years and never felt sorry for one of them. A wolf pack or even coyotes in some large national park where the deprevations can be controlled might be a different story but anyone who feels sorry for coyote's doesn't really understand them.

...BTW a wolf won't attack a human and there has never been a documented wolf attack on a human...

Sorry but this is simply false.

In the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, from March to October 1996 and March to April 1997, a wolf or wolves killed or injured as many as seventy-four Indian children, almost all of them under the age of ten. The deaths occurred among children playing or relieving themselves on the outskirts of small villages.

In Ontario, Canada where thousands of people visit Algonquin Provincial Park-and many of them come to see or hear wolves-five people have been bit in the past twelve years. During August 1996, a wolf dragged 12-year-old Zachariah Delventhal from his sleeping bag. This particular wolf, prior to attacking Zachariah, had entered campsites and taken things such as a backpack, tennis shoe and other human items. Zachariah describe what happened. He wrote the following in November 1996:

"The scariest night of my life… was the last night of a terrific 10-day camping trip at Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario. We were exhausted and wanted to get out the next morning quickly so we decided to sleep under the stars. I remember dreaming that me, my mom, and my dad were walking through the woods. Then I felt pressure on my head and the woods started flying past. I awoke and still felt the pressure, but there was a new feeling of pain. I screamed, immediately the pressure released and the pain lessened. I opened my eyes-nothing but dark forest. I had been dragged six feet and I knew it was an animal mouth that did it. I yelled, 'Something bit me!' My mother came and held my sleeping bag to my face. Then my dad got up and started yelling. I got scared as he disappeared into the underbrush but he came back. I asked, 'What was it?' Then came two terrifying words, 'A wolf.' I immediately started to pull away from where I was dragged, I freaked. It was so scary and confusing at the same time. I didn't want to get eaten by such a strong animal. As for confusing, think about this-I had been told wolves don't attack people and here I was practically killed by one. My list of wounds is extensive. I had over 80 stitches to close the many cuts, my nose was broken in five places, I am missing a piece of my ear, my gums, and my tearduct and cheekbone were punctured. After all this, don't be scared to go in the woods, don't think of wolves as killers. The chances of getting attacked are so slim; I can't get a hold of the fact that I was attacked. My parents were wrong when they said wolves don't attack people, but wolves almost never do."

Two years later, on September 25, 1998, another Algonquin wolf circled a little girl and despite blasts of pepper spray, didn't leave until the child entered a trailer. Two days after that, a nineteen-month-old boy sat playing in the middle of camp, with his parents twenty feet away. The father thought he saw a dog emerge from the brush. He turned away for a moment and when he looked back, he saw his son in the jaws of a wolf. The wolf held the boy for a moment and then tossed him three feet. A local newspaper quoted the parents, "It wasn't hit and run. He hit him [the infant] and then it was wait and see. He [the wolf] circled the picnic table a number of times before he was scared off enough to leave." The infant received two stitches for minor injuries.

On April 26, 2000, a six and nine year old boy cut down small trees as they played at being loggers on the outskirts of a logging camp near Yakutat in southeastern Alaska.

Upon seeing a wolf, the children fled. The wolf took down six-year-old John Stenglein and bit him on the back, legs and buttocks. A neighbor's golden retriever rushed to the rescue but the wolf drove the dog back and then set upon John again. The boy's cries brought adults who drove the wolf away. John received seven stitches and five surgical closure staples.

During the evening of July 1, 2000, on the shores of Vargas Island, British Columbia, a wolf entered the campsite of a kayaking group. They chased the wolf away. Members of the group also spotted another wolf that apparently hung back from the bolder wolf. At 2 a.m., 23-year-old Scott Langevin awoke with a small dark wolf tugging on his sleeping bag. "I yelled to try to spook it off, and I kicked at it," Scott said. "It backed up a bit, but then it just lunged on top of me, and it started biting away through my sleeping bag."

He rolled in an effort to situate the fire between him and the wolf, but the animal jumped on his back and bit him about the head. The noise woke his friends and they drove the wolf away. The wounds to Scott's head required 50 stitches.

In all of the previous incidents, the offending wolves were killed. Autopsies indicated healthy animals.

And every Canadian knows the story of Taylor Mitchell.

The reason you don't hear of many wolf attacks in the USA is because we have killed most of them off.

More times than not, animal attacks occur because we're invading "their space" not the other way around. I don't feel sorry for people out camping not understanding the risks. You don't leave small children unattended period. Even folks in Colorado were appalled at a Mountain Lion snatching Shih Tzu and Pomeranian dogs from back yards of a new "mountain side" subdivision. Naturally, the endangered species cat was "put down!"

That said, we've had Coyotes trotting down our cul-de-sac here where I live and people were starting to lose house cats. They're getting pretty brave.

ok pippy my post was not meant to be specific to the one article ,pardon the too broad of a reply. As a sportsman all my life I can tell you that it has always been looked on as dishonorable to not use the prey, in a meaning full way. As for bloodthirsty souls with guns of course ...feared and loathed. Many animals are controled population for their own good by our governments. But bottom line for me. hunting is moral and positive.

I apologise, upsidedown club, if you thought I was taking a sideswipe at you personally. That was certainly not my intention.

Just to make my views perfectly clear; I've never said, in any of my posts, that I think of hunting as either immoral or unneccessary.

In almost all my posts on this thread, hopefully, I've made it clear that I completely agree with the hunting and killing of, in this case, either wolves or coyotes, where it is used as a means to ensure the safety of, or otherwise protect the interests and needs of, people, their livestock, their communities and their habitat; and the hunting of other wildlife in an effort to provide food and sustenance. In fact when considering the latter purpose I'd go further and say I heartily approve of hunting to this end. As Retro points out the conditions in many of the 'food factories' where animals are reared for human consumption are utterly deplorable.

The only aspect of hunting of which I heartily disapprove is when the kill is carried out purely in the name of entertainment.

P.

More times than not, animal attacks occur because we're invading "their space" not the other way around. I don't feel sorry for people out camping not understanding the risks. You don't leave small children unattended period. Even folks in Colorado were appalled at a Mountain Lion snatching Shih Tzu and Pomeranian dogs from back yards of a new "mountain side" subdivision. Naturally, the endangered species cat was "put down!"

That said, we've had Coyotes trotting down our cul-de-sac here where I live and people were starting to lose house cats. They're getting pretty brave.

Weak arguement. Truth is there isn't a place on earth where man lives that was not at one time wild. man is as much a part of the ecosystem as wild animals are.

Now I would agree if we are talking about sharks...the only way to get eaten by a shark is to go in the water, I don't intend to become shark do do.

I am in complete agreement with these statements.

As far as the fox wandering about my patio goes;

He is quite distinctive as he has a small circular dark patch on his right flank.

His first appearance of the day will usually between two and three in the afternoon. We see him almost every day. Often we'll see him as I walk my aforementioned 7-y-o daughter back home the 300 yards from her school. Often he'll just be meandering in and out the front gardens having a sniff about. He's very comfortable walking down the pavements as people and cars are going past. Often we'll get to just a few feet from him before he walks around the other way and doubles back after we pass.

Urban foxes used to have good pickings round these parts from the rubbish bins but two years ago our local council issued every home a 'food recycling bin' where all food-based waste was placed (in compostable sacks) inside an 'animal-proof' locking plastic bin. Since the inception of this initiative the foxes have been more desperate to find food for themselves and any family they might have hence their appearing at all hours of the day.

There are about three families of foxes living in the allotments that run behind our garden wall. Chloe often watches them at play from her bedroom window. They used to play in our back lawn but as they also used to mark it with their spoor we took steps to try to prohibit their activities somewhat...

P.

Interesting unintended consequences; secure the cast off food at the curb, the wild life comes up on your back porch. Eventually, when pickings get slim enough, the foxes will search elsewhere for food. Probably should also be an ordinance against outdoor pet food.

Fortunately, your wild life is smallish. But give the fox a wide berth anyways. The Good Lord doesn't have to vaccinate.

Weak arguement. Truth is there isn't a place on earth where man lives that was not at one time wild. man is as much a part of the ecosystem as wild animals are.

Now I would agree if we are talking about sharks...the only way to get eaten by a shark is to go in the water, I don't intend to become shark do do.

Really? There's plenty of evidence to suggest that our overcrowding has pushed the invasion envelope of mountain, forest, and previously undeveloped preserves to its limits and that animal attacks are sharply on the rise. The potential for contact and thus conflict is much higher today than even 100 years ago much less [say] a millennium ago.

This is my back yard. It's very much like my front and side yards.

IMG_0466.jpg

This is my house, viewed from the back yard.

IMG_1001.jpg

All manner of wildlife calls our yard "home" or, at the very least, highway, mostly at night. We don't allow our dogs to chase critters and we don't leave our pets out at night. We do the best we can to survive in harmony with our wilderness companions. But we have found it absolutely impossible to reason with them once they have infringed upon our secure areas. When they become destructive, tearing up fences and out-buildings or preying on our livestock, I have zero tolerance. If you think you can scare a bear away permanently by reasoning with it, you need to live in the city. Same with cougars, coyotes, foxes, skunks, bobcats, weasels or any other manner of critter that takes a mind to get into your space; they can't be reasoned with.

We do what we can, but if growl comes to bite, I get to bite back. And, since I don't have claws or good, sharp teeth, I cheat. Fortuantely it's a rare occurance. Peanut-butter smeared ballons filled with ammonia are a great first strike. If that doesn't do it, it gets lethal. I don't enjoy it any more than I enjoy fixing fence. I'm not a hunter, I don't relish killing. But I don't feel guilty about making my home where I do and dealing with the consequences of doing so. Just another lifestyle.

This is my back yard. It's very much like my front and side yards.

IMG_0466.jpg

This is my house, viewed from the back yard.

IMG_1001.jpg

All manner of wildlife calls our yard "home" or, at the very least, highway, mostly at night. We don't allow our dogs to chase critters and we don't leave our pets out at night. We do the best we can to survive in harmony with our wilderness companions. But we have found it absolutely impossible to reason with them once they have infringed upon our secure areas. When they become destructive, tearing up fences and out-buildings or preying on our livestock, I have zero tolerance. If you think you can scare a bear away permanently by reasoning with it, you need to live in the city. Same with cougars, coyotes, foxes, skunks, bobcats, weasels or any other manner of critter that takes a mind to get into your space; they can't be reasoned with.

We do what we can, but if growl comes to bite, I get to bite back. And, since I don't have claws or good, sharp teeth, I cheat. Fortuantely it's a rare occurance. Peanut-butter smeared ballons filled with ammonia are a great first strike. If that doesn't do it, it gets lethal. I don't enjoy it any more than I enjoy fixing fence. I'm not a hunter, I don't relish killing. But I don't feel guilty about making my home where I do and dealing with the consequences of doing so. Just another lifestyle.

To you Sir i say 'Cheers',couldnt have said it better myself.It just a natural instinct to 'protect' you and your family and by family i mean pets as well.There's a pic online somewhere of a 'mountain lion' i was told draggin a huge buck a few miles from my front door.Theres only one thing an animal like that wants,and that leaves only one choice in my honest opinion.Him or Me.Nice yard btw [thumbup] i live in the sticks too.

To you Sir i say 'Cheers',couldnt have said it better myself.It just a natural instinct to 'protect' you and your family and by family i mean pets as well.There's a pic online somewhere of a 'mountain lion' i was told draggin a huge buck a few miles from my front door.Theres only one thing an animal like that wants,and that leaves only one choice in my honest opinion.Him or Me.Nice yard btw [thumbup] i live in the sticks too.

Thanks, Mike, we're very happy here. Just a few years back our closest neighbor had a mountain lion get in her back yard and eat her 7 turkeys. Looked like it had snowed the next morning. It's the sorta thing that happens now and then out here, as you know. I had a 300+ pound black bear standing on my porch one night, looking in the sliding door. Couldn't see me cuzza the lights being off. I knocked on the glass and he skedaddled into the woods. Then went down and tore up some fence and plum trees cuz he was just feelin' ornery for gettin' scared off. Still, it beats all hell outta traffic, sirens and drive-bys.

Really? There's plenty of evidence to suggest that our overcrowding has pushed the invasion envelope of mountain, forest, and previously undeveloped preserves to its limits and that animal attacks are sharply on the rise. The potential for contact and thus conflict is much higher today than even 100 years ago much less [say] a millennium ago.

Though overcrowding may be an issue in other areas of the word it's definitely not the case on the island. The predatory animals move in towards the the towns every so many years and get braver and braver until they're driven back by force.

Cruznolfart, I worked in your neck of the woods in the early '70s, reforestation clear cuts, had several crews, we worked right at the snow line fall through winter. Running into elk and bear was always fun, tracking big cats, always watch the trail behind you, they like to sneak out of the bush & sniff your trail after you pass them. That is a wake up call! Some great steelheading on the Rouge. Some of the best country around. I, like you enjoy living in the boonies, it's how I grew up, dealing with all kinds of predators, keeping them away from livestock is a never ending challenge, coyotes are smart, I've seen them bait dogs into a ambush using a b_tch in heat, even had one climb on top of our house one night. Something as harmless looking as a deer can just ruin a garden or a orchard in no time, and a buck deer can flat tear you up..Ever see what magpies can do to a calf? Such sweet looking birds, they love to peck the eyes out of calves while they are birthing, then the tongue..they then proceed to tear up the mother, pecking out their, well, you know, I hate them birds.. If you want to use something that will repel varmints use a mix of peppers soaked in vinegar and tobacco.. and for deer they are now selling a sprinkler head that has a motion sensor..he he he...very good idea...

Archived