Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Sweet Spot

jrplefty

I'm noticing that the sweet spot for fretting a note on my J-45 is really small, and if I'm not there it buzzes. I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing this.

In all fairness to the guitar, it does need a proper set up, which I'm hoping resolves the issue. I just haven't talked myself into letting go of it for a couple of weeks yet.

I Can't Really know What You are Talking About Without A Picture And What Is Sweet Spots Anyway? you Can Show Me A Photo Of It And I will Try to figure it out.....

-Joshua

He maybe meant a buzz free pressing spot by "a sweet spot", but if I remember right, it may means marks left by a type of soundboard pickup (e.g. Schertler, Switzerland-based) which uses some stuff to stick transducers to top, maybe the maker calls the after uninstall marks "sweet spots"...

Joshua, when I talk about the sweet spot I'm not referring to a physical defect in the fretboard or anything that can be photographed. Typically to fret a note correctly you are supposed to fret halfway between the two frets for the note to ring out. Some guitars have leeway in where you can fret the note without any buzzing. I've just noticed that my J-45 really doesn't allow much room for error, and really only rings true in one place at each position on the fretboard, which is what I, and I thought the guitar playing collective, refer to as the sweet spot.

Dchristo, I was hoping someone would reaffirm my thoughts. It really does play nice, and I really enjoy the sounds I get out of it. Now I just need something to convince me to give it up for a couple of weeks.

Does it need a fret level?

God, I hope it doesn't need a fret level. I've not owned it a year yet, and haven't put it through any abuse really at all. I'm expecting a setup will do the trick as a couple of months ago I moved from the Pac NW to the really dry midwest and it is finally getting settled in and adjusted.

I was just curious if the J-45 in general was one of those finnicky guitars that had a really small fretting spot that had to be hit and required very precise playing in the experience of some other owners.

The guys are right. A good setup with a little relief in the neck and saddle adjusted to the right height for your stlye of playing should do the trick. If you have a fret thats is too high it's no problem for your repairman to file it down a little.

No, I don't think it is a charteristic of the J45 ............ I've had 3 and none gave me a problem. A set up should do the trick. Having to do without it is a pain but that's why one should have at least two nice guitars, one as a backup ... you could have a set up done the next time you go on vacation.

God, I hope it doesn't need a fret level. I've not owned it a year yet, and haven't put it through any abuse really at all. I'm expecting a setup will do the trick as a couple of months ago I moved from the Pac NW to the really dry midwest and it is finally getting settled in and adjusted.

I was just curious if the J-45 in general was one of those finnicky guitars that had a really small fretting spot that had to be hit and required very precise playing in the experience of some other owners.

I just purchased a J45 from a reputable dealer and it needed fretwork before they would ship it to me.

The dry climate could definitely be a factor though.

Do you keep it properly humidified?

Joshua, when I talk about the sweet spot I'm not referring to a physical defect in the fretboard or anything that can be photographed. Typically to fret a note correctly you are supposed to fret halfway between the two frets for the note to ring out. Some guitars have leeway in where you can fret the note without any buzzing. I've just noticed that my J-45 really doesn't allow much room for error, and really only rings true in one place at each position on the fretboard, which is what I, and I thought the guitar playing collective, refer to as the sweet spot.

Dchristo, I was hoping someone would reaffirm my thoughts. It really does play nice, and I really enjoy the sounds I get out of it. Now I just need something to convince me to give it up for a couple of weeks.

it is important to not depress the string in the middle of the 2 frets but right behing the the fret.

JM

it is important to not depress the string in the middle of the 2 frets but right behing the the fret.

JM

I think that's what I said above

I have experienced this on certain guitars

If you do not fret your fingers just behind the actual fret that you get a buzz or not a full sound , if that makes sense

I'm noticing that the sweet spot for fretting a note on my J-45 is really small, and if I'm not there it buzzes. I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing this.

In all fairness to the guitar, it does need a proper set up, which I'm hoping resolves the issue. I just haven't talked myself into letting go of it for a couple of weeks yet.

I play my J45 about 2-3 hours a day, and have done since I bought it 4 years ago. The only set-up I've had was 3 years ago now, and there is no buzzing or any problem anywhere on the neck. The set-up should solve your problem. I also have heavy strings on it...kind of amazes me how much of a beating the J45 can take.

I bought a brand new J45 and love it. But out of the box it needed a lot more than a setup. The frets were unlevel all over the place. Again I love my j45. However it cost me a couple hundred extra to have the fret work done correctly. A neck like this should not be allowed out of the factory. The pen marks are the unleveled spots before the tech fixed it.

6911229281_f018690177.jpg

new j45

Typically to fret a note correctly you are supposed to fret halfway between the two frets for the note to ring out.

I agree with Jeremy and Greg that what you describe here is not correct. You should place you finger just behind the fret. Placing your finger midway between the frets could be contributing to the buzzes you here. Before you take the guitar in for a setup, try adjusting your fingers to the proper playing technique. See if that resolves your issue.

My J-45 is not the easiest guitar I've ever played. (There! I said it! On the Gibson Forum!)

There's a couple Gibsons, a couple Martins, and my blueridge out there by which I set my standard for acoustics "that play like butter." These are individual guitars that happened to be set up perfectly for my style, skill level, finger strength, good habits, bad habits etc. The gibbys and martins belonged to other people and I was lucky enough to plunk down the cash for Maggie the Blueridge, my weather beater. This baby is forgiving. She doesn't buzz if I can manage to throw my fingers on the frets...Course the tone is nowhere near the heaven that can be achieved with the j-45 even when fretted properly. It's just good enough.

I'm working out the kinks that's bringing me and Trigger (j-45) together as one. I'm not a tech or luthier but I'd ask yours if you need a truss rod adjustment. It opened the sweet spot up on mine a bit. I'm experimenting with String gauges and picks. And watching the humidity. Then of course there's that pesky little thing called good technique. ;)

My J-45 is not the easiest guitar I've ever played. (There! I said it! On the Gibson Forum!)

There's a couple Gibsons, a couple Martins, and my blueridge out there by which I set my standard for acoustics "that play like butter." These are individual guitars that happened to be set up perfectly for my style, skill level, finger strength, good habits, bad habits etc. The gibbys and martins belonged to other people and I was lucky enough to plunk down the cash for Maggie the Blueridge, my weather beater. This baby doesn't buzz if I can manage to throw my fingers on the frets...Course the tone is nowhere near the heaven that can be achieved with the j-45 even when fretted properly. It's just good enough.

I'm working out the kinks that's bringing me and Trigger (j-45) together as one. I'm not a tech or luthier but I'd ask yours if you need a truss rod adjustment. It opened the sweet spot up on mine a bit.

This is true. Flatter might not be better for a particular guitar.

Each instrument seems to have a particular relief where it plays best.

Archived