Gibson Brands Forums

INTRODUCE YOURSELF

ksdaddy

Hello from Kingwood, Texas

Kingwood is just 25 miles north of Houston, and is now part of Houston (need the tax revenue).

I've been interested in playing guitar for over 60 years...and I haven't quit; on a scale of 1-100 as a beginner I'd rate myself a 12. So I'm still trying to get past the number 100. There are sooo many things that interfere with practice...

Purchased an LGO in an estate sale in '80 along with the original alligator case for $50, and am looking for information for history and refinish.

Yamaha Acoustic

Guild 12 string Acoustic

Chinese acoustic w/pickup

Japanese electric (1955 vintage)

Joe

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I didn't introduce myself before I posted. I'm Ron from Virginia. I love my Gibson AJ and the fun it gives me. I like to "try" to play and sing older rock and roll such as Rush, the Who, LRB, etc. I like Foo Fighters a lot too. I absolutely love Mark Knopfler and his music. I also like bluegrass, gospel, and praise and worship music. I have enjoyed reading some of the posts on this board. Have a great day.

• 1 month later...

Hey There - I'm billroy from west of boston (go Celtics) - About to enter the Gibson acoustic family... looking for a nice mahogany cutaway guitar, and after playing many, settled on a hummingbird. Per lots of things i read, you should try out several to make sure you get a good one - my question, i'm from west boston, does anyone have recommendations on where to go to get a selection to look at / try out?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm Graham from Oklahoma. I used to be saxophone player. Now I am a guitar newbie who sucks, but loves playing. As of Feb. 2, 2018 I proudly rock a J-15 Walnut Burst and I L-O-V-E it...I haven't been able to think of a name for it yet though...any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

Hi, Charlie from the Peak District in England. Had a few Gibsons, old and new - now have my scruffy old c. ‘36 L-00 (my first Gibson, bought in 2008) plus a couple of similar vintage Kalamazoo KG-14s (one a 12-fretter). I’m currently on a quest for a good 1946 J-45 Script. Just missed out on one I’d arranged to see over here - but which unfortunately disappeared before I got to see it (some things just aren’t meant to be!) So now I’m extending my search and hoping maybe someone, somewhere might point me in the direction of one!

Hi Everyone. I've actually been on the Gibson board for a while, in total, due to a bad stretch of luck with some Epi Electrics. I've since upgraded and now have complimented my 4-ish year old Gibby LP with a new Hummingbird. Been playing for about 10-14 years, which coincided with the last 7 years of learning my Pro Tools based "home project Studio".

I look forward to chatting guitars with you guys and gals.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi from New Zealand :)

Thanks for having me!

I've owned my 1970's SG for over 40 years now.... Currently awaiting the arrival of my 1st Gibson acoustic.... It's an absolute mint condition 2012 Songwriter Deluxe Studio, non cutaway... I can't wait!

It's not easy getting hold of affordable Gibsons in this country... Just makes me love them all the more :)

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy Gibson community =)

I´m Max from the german outback :D 26 years old and a proud Gibson owner for almost 3 weeks now. I bought a Gibson LG0 which is more than 50 Years old now and i love to make it talk. It has a very special Sound that fits to the Music that i want to produce and the fact that its twice as old as i am adds some Kind of emotions =) I still have to get used to it and i have to practice a lot in General to get to the Point to Play in small Pubs which is a big Dream of mine. I listen to a lot of bands but my biggest Inspiration is Bob Dylan and older Music in General and the best Thing for me is to make this Kind of Music oustide in the Woods. I am Looking Forward to get some new contacts and useful Information here. Here is my Soundcloud profile, but still a lot of work ahead of me :D

Have a good day,

Max

Hello,

I´m Stefan, playing guitar since the late 1970s as a hobby. My first acoustic steel string was a Hummingbird clone from a well known company from Japan - I still have it, but now I could afford a real Hummingbird and some other nice acoustic guitars. Playing electric guitar, too, but do not dare to mention the name of my favourite modell in this forum [rolleyes]

I have been following the Gibson acoustic forum for a long time and decided to register now.

Edited by docr

• 1 month later...

Hello to all. I am a retired IT Systems Manager in Northwest Alabama. I have a 1969 Hummingbird I purchased new when I was 19 in 1969. Also still have the original hard shell case. The guitar has aged well and is my go to guitar for vocals. Also have a 2010 Taylor DN3, Johnson mandolin, violin, and dulcimer. I know just enough about all this to be dangerous. I also play bass, but currently do not own one. I have a small home recording studio as a hobby. Just repaired the bridge on the Hummingbird. It was pulling up so I removed it, cleaned and sanded off the old glue, and reinstalled it. Came out really well and did not affect the sound of the guitar at all. In fact seems better. I joined to learn from you all.

Hello to all. I am a retired IT Systems Manager in Northwest Alabama. I have a 1969 Hummingbird I purchased new when I was 19 in 1969. Also still have the original hard shell case. The guitar has aged well and is my go to guitar for vocals.

Hi Hummingman - why not present that Bird in a thread down-stairs. The more pics & sounds the better.

Welcome, , , a bit quiet at the moment, but you will find groovy people here. And all there is to know about acoustic Gibson on the pages behind us.

Hello there! Not sure if I introduced myself or not, but I'm Taylor Mullins. Some of you might know my small pickguard business, Holter Pickguards. Glad to be here and if I can help with anything at all, please message me. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello I'm Alex, I am a guitarholic, 40 years old, now I am trying to reduce the herd but regarding the acoustics this is my current "collection":

Martin HD28V

Gibson Sheryl Crow (old model, square shoulders)

Gibson J45 60s (the one that made me write here after a long time)

Ovation Balladeer 40th Anniversary

These are my three favourite (plus the new entry that I still have to assess), then I have two 12 strings, a Guild JF30-12 and an Ovation Custom Legend 6759, both excellent but as 12 strings they are a little delicate.

My other acoustics are an old 1974 Ovation Folklore, a BC Rich made with brazilian rosewood and a sunburst D25.

I generally like Gibsons, Guilds and Ovations, and I mostly play acoustic rock like Led Zeppelin, Queen, some Black Sabbath acoustic tunes, Boston, Guns'n'roses...in short I don't think I am the "average" acoustic player because of the music I play.