• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

INTRODUCE YOURSELF Say howdy!

#41 User is offline   duluthdan 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • LocationAspen, Colorado

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

Moved from Minnesota to just outside Aspen, Colorado 5 years ago. Recently sold a Les Paul and bought a J-45, then traded in an HD-35 on a Jackson Browne Model 1 - and wonder why I took so long to discover Gibson acoustics. Got slammed with a medical issue 30 years ago, and stopped playing for 20 years. Now I live in the Rockies, play my guitars every day - at nearly 8,000 feet - at that elevation everyone's always high. Smile Fierce !
Posted Image
Smile Fierce !!!
Gibson J-45 TV (Lyric)
Gibson J-45 Legend
Gibson J-50 (K&K)
Martin D-35 (Trance)
Martin 000-42

#42 User is offline   Spot 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLondres

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:23 AM

View Postduluthdan, on 13 April 2012 - 06:23 PM, said:

Moved from Minnesota to just outside Aspen, Colorado 5 years ago. Recently sold a Les Paul and bought a J-45, then traded in an HD-35 on a Jackson Browne Model 1 - and wonder why I took so long to discover Gibson acoustics. Got slammed with a medical issue 30 years ago, and stopped playing for 20 years. Now I live in the Rockies, play my guitars every day - at nearly 8,000 feet - at that elevation everyone's always high. Smile Fierce !

Love your Avatar man....

[thumbup]

Looks like your an oldnewbie...Welcome and thanks for posting an Introduction all the same...Glad your illness is not stopping you from enjoying your Gibsons!!!

Rocky Mountain High!!!
Guitars

'58 LG-2 w/
Bob Colosi Black Buffalo Horn Bridge pins
'60 ES-125T
'63 Country Western
'64 J-50 w
/ Bob Colosi Bone Bridge pins
'79 ES-335 TD

'82 Epi Sheraton (MIJ)
'97 Epi Sheraton II (USA)

'49 Martin 00-17 w
/ Bob Colosi Bone Bridge pins

..........................................................and a few Harmony's

#43 User is offline   onewilyfool 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:24 PM

Guess where I'm from?

Posted Image
"The sole of my shoes is thin, and I'll soon be on my feet again" Lonnie Johnson

#44 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

View Postonewilyfool, on 15 April 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

Guess where I'm from?

Posted Image

new york

#45 User is offline   EuroAussie 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

Alcatraz ?

View Postblindboygrunt, on 15 April 2012 - 02:37 PM, said:

new york

The Big Fat Lady 02' Gibson J-150
The Square 11' Hummingbird TV
The Slopeys 11' Gibson SJ (Aaron Lewis), 02' AJ
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
The Lonely Electric: 95' Les Paul

What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnat...oubleshotprague

#46 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

View PostEuroAussie, on 18 April 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

Alcatraz ?

lol

#47 User is offline   FrostedLuck 

• LocationMinneapolis, MN, USA

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

Hey folks!

I only have time for a quick post, but I wanted to introduce myself! I've been playing guitar for about 10 years now. I started working as a worship arts director in college, and I continue to do so apart from my full-time job, which is much less artistic.

I've been playing Taylor for a number of years, and it was time for something new. I was sent by a good friend of mine to look at some J-45s. While I've heard a lot of amazing sounding J-45s, I never found one for purchase that I was satisfied with. I came across someone selling a CJ-165 on Craig's List a few weeks ago. I did a little research and figured it was worth a visit. I walked away with it.

Anyways, I love the guitar. Gibson Acoustics have made a new fan out of me. I'm relatively intermediate/amateur when it comes to gear, so I'm excited for the knowledge I hope to gain from some of you on the forums here!

Pictures/questions to come... probably on the weekend.

-Steven

#48 User is offline   ChrisA83 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:10 AM

Welcome to the forum Steven! You'll certainly pick up a lot of knowledge here, I know I have.

Oh, and congrats on the new guitar! We demand pics [thumbup]
2009 Gibson J-45 TV
2007 Martin 00-15
2006 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
2004 Art & Lutherie Cedar Antique Burst

"If I had the stars from the darkest night; and the diamonds from the deepest ocean; I'd forsake them all for your sweet kiss; for that's all I'm wishin' to be ownin'""
Boots of Spanish Leather, Bob Dylan

#49 User is offline   NBhunter80 

• LocationNew Brunswick, Canada

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:53 AM

Hello all,
I'm new to the forum, but a long time Gibson enthusiast. I have been playing guitar for about 15 years, and lately I found myself playing more acoustic than electric, so I decided to check out some Gibson acoustics. My old acoustic guitar was an Art & Lutherie which I got for my 16th birthday, and it has seen many hours of playing and many rainy campfires, so needless to say she was ready for retirement. I just recently picked up a brand new Gibson J45, and I am looking forward to learning new tricks and techniques to keep my new baby looking and sounding great for many years to come. The J45 is the first nice acoustic that I have owned. When I went in to look at new guitars, I orignially had my heart set on a Gibson Hummingbird, but I also wanted to check out some Martins and Taylors just to get an idea of what else is out there. But when I played the J45, I immediately fell in love with the guitar. I know that every guitar plays and sounds slightly different, and I really think I found a gem with this one. The tones are so full and rich, and the neck feels absolutely perfect. Although I have always dreamed about owning a Hummingbird, when I was playing all the guitars in the shop and I played the Hummingbird and J45 back to back, I just kept going back to the J45. I knew that guitar was meant to be mine. So I bit the bullet and forked over a princely sum to puchase the J45, but I have absolutely no regrets. I know that I would have been kicking myself for a long time if I left the store without that guitar in my hands. I have always thought that Gibson makes the finest guitars in the world, and when I put the J45 up against the other high end acoustic guitars, I was again reminded of why I love Gibson so much. I also own a Gibson Flying V which I purchased new in 2001. Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself here before I begin browing the forums. I'm glad to have found this forum so now I can talk about guitars with fellow Gibson nuts instead of boring the crap out of the wife all the time. [biggrin] Here's a couple pics of my new J45. Cheers!

Phil

Posted Image
Posted Image
2010 Gibson J45 standard
2000 Gibson Flying V '67 Reissue

#50 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

nice to meet you , lovely J45 , its almost as nice as mine ! ;-)

#51 User is offline   guitaruser 

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:34 PM

My name is Bill and I live in the mountains of southern New Mexico in Silver City. I have played guitar off and on most of my life ( mostly off ) and now have a passion for getting back into it. I own my own business and will be approaching retirement in a couple of years. After finally discovering Gibson recently thats all I can think about. I compared a martin hd-28v with the stock advanced jumbo and my ear fell in love with the gibson. I have on order #75 of 75 limited edition 75th anniversary advanced jumbo acoustic to replace a seagull that I have owned for 7 years. You can't imagine my enthusiasm for the arrival of this collectors instrument. It will be delivered in July 2012. I also own a 2011 Rickenbacker 360 for my electric desires. I thrive on music and listen to coffee house XM Sirius 12 hours a day. Hope to play publicly some day just for fun. It is incredible to discover this passion at a time when I am eventually having the free time to re-discover myself and my music.

#52 User is offline   Tafmutt 

• LocationWestern Colorado

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

Nice to be here. I'm a Gibson/Martin addict. The question is: which one(s) would I run into the burning building to save?

Don't know.

My best to all and I look forward to conversing with all members.

TM
1997 Martin D-28KT Kingston Trio Edition #13 of 40
2009 Martin D-28 Sunburst
2009 Martin D-28 12-String

#53 User is offline   mike1946 

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:27 PM

View Postnodehopper, on 18 March 2012 - 10:36 AM, said:

WOW....just checked and I have been here since 2007. I used to post a lot more until early last year my employer closed our site and canned everyone. I am now working nearly 60 hours a week at a new job (glad to have a job these days) and don't get a chance to post much. I still lurk and make a few posts though!

I love my CJ-165. After having it and playing it the last few years it has really opened up and become a small cannon. Great for strumming and has become the go to guitar for jamming with the guys.

I live in Foresthill CA which is near Auburn and Sacramento and get together and jam with Tennroots and pschaafs who also live nearby.

Bill,
I see you own a CJ-165. I just bought one. it says to use Gibson Masterbilt phosphor strings, but I don't know what gauge to use. This is my first Gibson guitar. I know this model is a small size , but I don't know how to relate to it. Like is it smaller than a dreadnaught, but bigger than say a Taylor Grand Concert.

I like Martin's 000 models and Taylor's Grand Auditorium models. Is this Gibson about the size of those guitars.

#54 User is offline   mphuffclem 

• LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:57 AM

I've been reading the forum now for a few years. I'm a young lawyer who'd much rather be a country musician but I need to learn to play these Gibson acoustics first! Got my Hummingbird about two years ago then fell in love with the J45TV this year. Very interested in either a J200 next or a vintage southern jumbo (which could be much harder on the checkbook, I know). I'm attaching a pic of the prized possessions and my guitar room where I play with Merle and Waylon looking down on me. I look forward to interacting with everyone and sharing my love for Gibson acoustics. Attached Image: IMG_0788.JPGAttached Image: IMG_0789.jpg

#55 User is offline   duluthdan 

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:43 PM

MP - nice, always good to have a dedicated space - love the two guitars.
Smile Fierce !!!
Gibson J-45 TV (Lyric)
Gibson J-45 Legend
Gibson J-50 (K&K)
Martin D-35 (Trance)
Martin 000-42

#56 User is offline   pschaafs 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLincoln, CA

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:44 PM

Hi all:

I'm Peter from Lincoln, CA and my 1969 J-50 was my first Gibson - a Christmas present from my folks in my first year of college. That worked for me solo for 30 years until I started to accumulate more guitars, most recently a j-185.
I also have an old EB-O bass and recently gave away my Nighthawk electric to my son... Don't do any playing out, but do enjoy jamming with nodehopper and tennroots every week.

#57 User is offline   quapman 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSask. Canada

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:11 PM

Hi, Kevin here. quapman is just my username(long story and not real interesting.. lol).

Thought I may as well say hi since I have been visiting here for over a month now. Lot's of great
info here on this forum so thanks to all who have already helped me out and thanks in advance to those who will in the future.

Have played off and on most of my life. Learned as a young kid and went through the first 5 or 6 books with the classic
strict teacher who would slap your fingers with a ruler if your thumb wasn't directly under the neck and fingers arched.

As a young adult I discovered Black Sabbath and the fun of the 'sweet leaf' and figured I could never play like these gods so I quit. Until about 20 yrs old when I went to a friends house and watched him play Pink Floyd and was blown away that someone could really play that. He said he would teach me but I thought at 20 yrs old it was too late. lol.
He asked if I plan on being alive in 10 years. I said I hope so. He said "imagine how good you would be with 10 years of playing".
He was right. So I got back into it for about another 15 years. Lost interest again and life happened.
Had kids late so 10 years flew by. Now here I am at 50, with a 10 and a 6 yrs old, and having a much needed musical rebirth and am loving every minute.
I play almost every day now. It feels great and my family is supportive.
(my kids didn't even know I could play,,lol)

My 2 latest acquisitions have been my J-45 and now my LP Classic Custom. And they help keep me inspired.
They have also pushed my other guitars into the background now,, except my one Hamer, I still really like it.
And the rust is starting to come off the old fingers too.

Guitars I have other than my 2 new Gibsons.
Hamer - Chapperal(USA)
Hamer - LP double cutaway copy(Korea)
Takamine acoustic
Yamaha Acoustic
Washburn bass

And back in the 80's I had the sweetest 69 LP custom that was stolen and I still cry about and have never
been able to replace. Although the Classic Custom is fairly close

Anyway, nice to meet you all.

Cheers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What are you lookin at?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#58 User is offline   ChrisA83 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:36 AM

Hi Kevin and welcome.

Nice story [smile]
2009 Gibson J-45 TV
2007 Martin 00-15
2006 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
2004 Art & Lutherie Cedar Antique Burst

"If I had the stars from the darkest night; and the diamonds from the deepest ocean; I'd forsake them all for your sweet kiss; for that's all I'm wishin' to be ownin'""
Boots of Spanish Leather, Bob Dylan

#59 User is offline   resol 

• LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:51 PM

Hi from Sydney Australia [smile]
Thank you all for providing such a great place for sharing, discussion and research
as a long time lurker I finally made the plunge and recently acquired a new J45 - pics below
what a great guitar!!! compared to countless mid to high-end Martins and Taylors and ended up with a standard J45
extremely happy and look forward to playing with her for a long time
a little bit about me - i play acoustic on a non-professional basis - call it a 'time-out' from my professional life
learnt music starting with many years of classical piano then self-taught guitar
also play bass guitar - if anyone is interested - play a Musicman Stingray 5 :)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 3.jpg
  • Attached Image: 4.jpg

2012 Gibson J45 Standard (Vintage Sunburst)
Musicman Stingray 5 HH

#60 User is offline   duluthdan 

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

Welcome aboard Resol! This is a nice place to be, you'll find many J-45 folks here. A 5 string bass? What's the tuning for that fifth string ?
Smile Fierce !!!
Gibson J-45 TV (Lyric)
Gibson J-45 Legend
Gibson J-50 (K&K)
Martin D-35 (Trance)
Martin 000-42

Share this topic:

• (24 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic