Gibson Brands Forums

INTRODUCE YOURSELF

ksdaddy

Hi, I'm Frederik and I' from the northern part of Denmark.

On monday I will hopefully buy my first acoustic Gibson guitar - a brand new Hummingbird True Vintage!!!

I can't wait to become a part of the big Gibson family!

Welcome Frederik! Glad to have another Scandinavian on the Forum!!!!

Let's see some pictures of your new baby when you get her settled at home...

[thumbup]

I'm Russ from Greenwood, SC, formerly from Macon, GA and Ferrum, VA. I'm down to a classical guitar that I have 30-odd years of history with, a '50s Favilla soprano ukulele, and a 2005 Gibson J-45 Historic Collection that suits me more than any other guitar from any time period that I have ever played. I'm primarily a fingerpicker and I mostly play my own songs these days. My influences include the whole folk revival scene of the early '60s, the whole singer-songwriter scene that followed that, some Piedmont blues, some bossa nova and a buncha British folk-baroque thrown into the mix. Sometimes, when the moon is right, I try for what Ray Charles would have sounded like had he played fingerstyle acoustic guitar.

welcome to the forum rustystrings, Im a SC boy too, Im originally from Greer SC but the Navy took me to florida..I also have a couple of friends in Greenwood named Joe and Bobby Stokes, if you ever run into them they pick also

again welcome

Hi I'm mike from Abita Springs, Lousisiana (where they make the beer). Unlike most people on this forum , I only have 2 guitars and one is a Gisbon. A J45. Needless to say, it gets played alot !corkcrawfishvern004.jpg

Nice J-45. If I could only keep one guitar, it is my J-45. Smile Fierce !!! (oh, and nice hat too!) [thumbup]

Hi,

I live in Snettisham, Norfolk, UK. I recently bought a 2005 J-45 Standard in excellent condition. Any advice about whether to replace the Tusq nut and saddle with bone?

I attach a snap from my phone of my collection. Not shown are a 1992 Wasburn D-61 and a 1972 Epiphone FT-145.

All the best, Patpost-42834-043516200 1334225089_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I live in Snettisham, Norfolk, UK. I recently bought a 2005 J-45 Standard in excellent condition. Any advice about whether to replace the Tusq nut and saddle with bone?

I attach a snap from my phone of my collection. Not shown are a 1992 Wasburn D-61 and a 1972 Epiphone FT-145.

hi pat , nice collection

i've a 45 historic '06 and reading all the 'bone is best' threads i had it in my head to order one and swap the tusq out , but to be honest i like the guitar so much i dobt want to change anything.

if you think the tone can be improved swap , but if it's not broken......

welcome to this place too . its a good hangout

Hi,

Hi Pat and Welcome to the Forum!!! Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself its greatly appreciated

[thumbup]

Bone vrs. Tusq is a personal choice but many Forum members have made the switch to Bone.

I've always personally gone for bone for the potential sound improvement as well as the Aesthetic benefit. You really can't beat the beauty of a nicely polished un-bleached bone nut IMO!!!

[smile]

Thanks for making me feel welcome folks and for the advice re Tusq v bone. [thumbup]

I think I might make the change: although the J45 sounds great, I just get the feeling that there is even more tone to release. It's like the sound is just being held back a bit. Anyway, this is a discussion for another thread.

Glad to be on-board and happy picking, strumming and thumping! [biggrin] Pat

Thanks for making me feel welcome folks and for the advice re Tusq v bone. [thumbup]

I think I might make the change: although the J45 sounds great, I just get the feeling that there is even more tone to release. It's like the sound is just being held back a bit. Anyway, this is a discussion for another thread.

Glad to be on-board and happy picking, strumming and thumping! [biggrin] Pat

if you're able to , a video , or recording of a before and after song would be greatly interesting and useful to me for one and i'm sure i'm not alone .

keep us informed of the results in any shape or form though

Moved from Minnesota to just outside Aspen, Colorado 5 years ago. Recently sold a Les Paul and bought a J-45, then traded in an HD-35 on a Jackson Browne Model 1 - and wonder why I took so long to discover Gibson acoustics. Got slammed with a medical issue 30 years ago, and stopped playing for 20 years. Now I live in the Rockies, play my guitars every day - at nearly 8,000 feet - at that elevation everyone's always high. Smile Fierce !

MyMountains.jpg

Moved from Minnesota to just outside Aspen, Colorado 5 years ago. Recently sold a Les Paul and bought a J-45, then traded in an HD-35 on a Jackson Browne Model 1 - and wonder why I took so long to discover Gibson acoustics. Got slammed with a medical issue 30 years ago, and stopped playing for 20 years. Now I live in the Rockies, play my guitars every day - at nearly 8,000 feet - at that elevation everyone's always high. Smile Fierce !

Love your Avatar man....

[thumbup]

Looks like your an oldnewbie...Welcome and thanks for posting an Introduction all the same...Glad your illness is not stopping you from enjoying your Gibsons!!!

Rocky Mountain High!!!

Hey folks!

I only have time for a quick post, but I wanted to introduce myself! I've been playing guitar for about 10 years now. I started working as a worship arts director in college, and I continue to do so apart from my full-time job, which is much less artistic.

I've been playing Taylor for a number of years, and it was time for something new. I was sent by a good friend of mine to look at some J-45s. While I've heard a lot of amazing sounding J-45s, I never found one for purchase that I was satisfied with. I came across someone selling a CJ-165 on Craig's List a few weeks ago. I did a little research and figured it was worth a visit. I walked away with it.

Anyways, I love the guitar. Gibson Acoustics have made a new fan out of me. I'm relatively intermediate/amateur when it comes to gear, so I'm excited for the knowledge I hope to gain from some of you on the forums here!

Pictures/questions to come... probably on the weekend.

-Steven

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, but a long time Gibson enthusiast. I have been playing guitar for about 15 years, and lately I found myself playing more acoustic than electric, so I decided to check out some Gibson acoustics. My old acoustic guitar was an Art & Lutherie which I got for my 16th birthday, and it has seen many hours of playing and many rainy campfires, so needless to say she was ready for retirement. I just recently picked up a brand new Gibson J45, and I am looking forward to learning new tricks and techniques to keep my new baby looking and sounding great for many years to come. The J45 is the first nice acoustic that I have owned. When I went in to look at new guitars, I orignially had my heart set on a Gibson Hummingbird, but I also wanted to check out some Martins and Taylors just to get an idea of what else is out there. But when I played the J45, I immediately fell in love with the guitar. I know that every guitar plays and sounds slightly different, and I really think I found a gem with this one. The tones are so full and rich, and the neck feels absolutely perfect. Although I have always dreamed about owning a Hummingbird, when I was playing all the guitars in the shop and I played the Hummingbird and J45 back to back, I just kept going back to the J45. I knew that guitar was meant to be mine. So I bit the bullet and forked over a princely sum to puchase the J45, but I have absolutely no regrets. I know that I would have been kicking myself for a long time if I left the store without that guitar in my hands. I have always thought that Gibson makes the finest guitars in the world, and when I put the J45 up against the other high end acoustic guitars, I was again reminded of why I love Gibson so much. I also own a Gibson Flying V which I purchased new in 2001. Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself here before I begin browing the forums. I'm glad to have found this forum so now I can talk about guitars with fellow Gibson nuts instead of boring the crap out of the wife all the time. [biggrin] Here's a couple pics of my new J45. Cheers!

Phil

38E0C608-orig.jpg

6B656C68-orig.jpg