Gibson Brands Forums

INTRODUCE YOURSELF

ksdaddy

My name is Bill and I live in the mountains of southern New Mexico in Silver City. I have played guitar off and on most of my life ( mostly off ) and now have a passion for getting back into it. I own my own business and will be approaching retirement in a couple of years. After finally discovering Gibson recently thats all I can think about. I compared a martin hd-28v with the stock advanced jumbo and my ear fell in love with the gibson. I have on order #75 of 75 limited edition 75th anniversary advanced jumbo acoustic to replace a seagull that I have owned for 7 years. You can't imagine my enthusiasm for the arrival of this collectors instrument. It will be delivered in July 2012. I also own a 2011 Rickenbacker 360 for my electric desires. I thrive on music and listen to coffee house XM Sirius 12 hours a day. Hope to play publicly some day just for fun. It is incredible to discover this passion at a time when I am eventually having the free time to re-discover myself and my music.

• Upvote 1

Nice to be here. I'm a Gibson/Martin addict. The question is: which one(s) would I run into the burning building to save?

Don't know.

My best to all and I look forward to conversing with all members.

TM

• 2 weeks later...

WOW....just checked and I have been here since 2007. I used to post a lot more until early last year my employer closed our site and canned everyone. I am now working nearly 60 hours a week at a new job (glad to have a job these days) and don't get a chance to post much. I still lurk and make a few posts though!

I love my CJ-165. After having it and playing it the last few years it has really opened up and become a small cannon. Great for strumming and has become the go to guitar for jamming with the guys.

I live in Foresthill CA which is near Auburn and Sacramento and get together and jam with Tennroots and pschaafs who also live nearby.

Bill,

I see you own a CJ-165. I just bought one. it says to use Gibson Masterbilt phosphor strings, but I don't know what gauge to use. This is my first Gibson guitar. I know this model is a small size , but I don't know how to relate to it. Like is it smaller than a dreadnaught, but bigger than say a Taylor Grand Concert.

I like Martin's 000 models and Taylor's Grand Auditorium models. Is this Gibson about the size of those guitars.

I've been reading the forum now for a few years. I'm a young lawyer who'd much rather be a country musician but I need to learn to play these Gibson acoustics first! Got my Hummingbird about two years ago then fell in love with the J45TV this year. Very interested in either a J200 next or a vintage southern jumbo (which could be much harder on the checkbook, I know). I'm attaching a pic of the prized possessions and my guitar room where I play with Merle and Waylon looking down on me. I look forward to interacting with everyone and sharing my love for Gibson acoustics. post-44034-027129500 1337881938_thumb.jpgpost-44034-020612900 1337881944_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all:

I'm Peter from Lincoln, CA and my 1969 J-50 was my first Gibson - a Christmas present from my folks in my first year of college. That worked for me solo for 30 years until I started to accumulate more guitars, most recently a j-185.

I also have an old EB-O bass and recently gave away my Nighthawk electric to my son... Don't do any playing out, but do enjoy jamming with nodehopper and tennroots every week.

Hi, Kevin here. quapman is just my username(long story and not real interesting.. lol).

Thought I may as well say hi since I have been visiting here for over a month now. Lot's of great

info here on this forum so thanks to all who have already helped me out and thanks in advance to those who will in the future.

Have played off and on most of my life. Learned as a young kid and went through the first 5 or 6 books with the classic

strict teacher who would slap your fingers with a ruler if your thumb wasn't directly under the neck and fingers arched.

As a young adult I discovered Black Sabbath and the fun of the 'sweet leaf' and figured I could never play like these gods so I quit. Until about 20 yrs old when I went to a friends house and watched him play Pink Floyd and was blown away that someone could really play that. He said he would teach me but I thought at 20 yrs old it was too late. lol.

He asked if I plan on being alive in 10 years. I said I hope so. He said "imagine how good you would be with 10 years of playing".

He was right. So I got back into it for about another 15 years. Lost interest again and life happened.

Had kids late so 10 years flew by. Now here I am at 50, with a 10 and a 6 yrs old, and having a much needed musical rebirth and am loving every minute.

I play almost every day now. It feels great and my family is supportive.

(my kids didn't even know I could play,,lol)

My 2 latest acquisitions have been my J-45 and now my LP Classic Custom. And they help keep me inspired.

They have also pushed my other guitars into the background now,, except my one Hamer, I still really like it.

And the rust is starting to come off the old fingers too.

Guitars I have other than my 2 new Gibsons.

Hamer - Chapperal(USA)

Hamer - LP double cutaway copy(Korea)

Takamine acoustic

Yamaha Acoustic

Washburn bass

And back in the 80's I had the sweetest 69 LP custom that was stolen and I still cry about and have never

been able to replace. Although the Classic Custom is fairly close

Anyway, nice to meet you all.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi from Sydney Australia [smile]

Thank you all for providing such a great place for sharing, discussion and research

as a long time lurker I finally made the plunge and recently acquired a new J45 - pics below

what a great guitar!!! compared to countless mid to high-end Martins and Taylors and ended up with a standard J45

extremely happy and look forward to playing with her for a long time

a little bit about me - i play acoustic on a non-professional basis - call it a 'time-out' from my professional life

learnt music starting with many years of classical piano then self-taught guitar

also play bass guitar - if anyone is interested - play a Musicman Stingray 5 :)

post-45261-083616100 1341631696_thumb.jpg

post-45261-054390900 1341631795_thumb.jpg

Welcome aboard Resol! This is a nice place to be, you'll find many J-45 folks here. A 5 string bass? What's the tuning for that fifth string ?

thanks for the warm welcome

It's a low B - so sits below the low E

for those times when u really want to rumble :) :)

Hi all, I've been lurking here 2½ years, think it's about time I should introduce myself...

I'm Bill, originally from London, England, now been living, working & playing guitar in Hong Kong for over 20 years.

My only Gibson is a 2006 reissue Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe which I've had for 4 years, but it's my all-time favourite acoustic & gets played every day.

Smeck.jpg

There are some videos of me playing it here (including my first ever attempt at 'lap slide'...) : -

"Glider" first gig.

(..."Strange Girl" & " I Need You" are probably the least cringe-worthy - sorry for the rough quality, it was our first gig & we were rather unrehearsed!) :rolleyes:

Cheers, Bill

Hi all, I've been lurking here 2½ years, think it's about time I should introduce myself...

I'm Bill, originally from London, England, now been living, working & playing guitar in Hong Kong for over 20 years.

My only Gibson is a 2006 reissue Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe which I've had for 4 years, but it's my all-time favourite acoustic & gets played every day.

Ni hao, cybercat - nice looking Roy Smeck and nice picking too - welcome to the forum!

• 2 weeks later...

Ni hao, cybercat - nice looking Roy Smeck and nice picking too - welcome to the forum!

Like these ! You really put that Roy Smeck through all the paces - fun to listen to.

Thanks very much indeed for the kind comments guys, much appreciated, ...& glad you liked it! :)

My name is Bill ...I've been playing since '57. I have a small collection of what I consider nice guitars (13) and am currently semi-retired from the "biz". I have been fortunate in my musical career to have worked with some top notch people. I've worked with some idiots as well (haven't we all??)

I'm glad to have found this forum..... so far so good. I live in northwest Pennsylvania where the winters are usually long and cold and the summers short and very humid. I hope to make a few friends here. My door is always open to learn something new and share what I know.

Hello everyone,

I just joined and wanted to say hi and thanks for all the info I acquired here while searching for a short scale dread. My J45rw is my new favorite guitar...for now. This just may be "the guitar", but I'm only 60 so I'm not cutting off future options!

Hey guys. I'm 52 and have been playing for almost forty years. I'm a recording engineer and music producer for the past 25 years and I've been returning to my acoustic roots not that I ever fully left them. The older I get the less I want to haul gear around and chase glory so I've settled into a duo and having a blast doing it.

I was in the market for a lefty acoustic, bought a couple and returned them and spotted a J45 I was instantly taken in by the sound and feel so I decided to take it home and now there's not a chance I'm returning it, the tone is incredible. I was in the market for a a Martin HD28 and still will get one of these days but this J45 is a sweetie

Hello!

New guy here, sorry for the lack of a picture. I'll get that fixed shortly.

I had an old J-50 years ago that I let go in a fit of stupidity, wish I had that one back.

Just ordered a J-45 Mahogany Modern Classic on MF. Wish I didn't have to do that sight unseen but the nearest Guitar Center is hours away and MF's return policy is decent. This model is a Guitar Center/Musicians Friend/Music123/WWBW exclusive and at least through MF it won't have a million paw prints on it. I called and checked availability Wednesday but after I cleared it with the boss on Thursday I called back and they were out of stock. Said they were discontinued but they could still order them....? Thought about going for a Standard but I'm a sucker for the V neck shape. 4 to 6 weeks - unless Gibson "happens" to have one in stock.

So, I'll be re-joining the ranks of the Gibson-equipped shortly. I've been a lurker for a while, glad to join in!

Hi,

I am Jort, 31 years old and dedicated myself to the acoustic guitar. I'm currently own an Guild DV-6, but I am looking for a Gibson acoustic as well. I am hoping to find some good info on this forum to help me make my decision.