Gibson Brands Forums

INTRODUCE YOURSELF

ksdaddy

Hello. Just joined to get more info on a guitar my dad gave me when I was young. It was his as a kid. I know nothing about guitars, I am a keyboard player...ha

It is a epiphone Texan ft79. everything on it is original except the strings. I have the serial number, how do I find out the year it was made?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, new to the boards. Thought I would register as there seems to be quite a lot of good conversations. I have a few guitars (electric and acoustic). Two are Gibsons - a 1978 Les Paul The Paul and my newest guitar, the Bob Dylan SJ-200 Player's Edition which my wife gave on account of my love of guitars and Bob Dylan. I was too cheap to get it myself so she went ahead and ordered it when they came out :-) My other guitars are a Taylor 414 which I bought new about 17 years ago, a Fender California Strat, and an Alvarez Yairi.

I mostly play acoustic these days. The SJ-200 has a great sound and is a lot of fun to play. I love the Taylor for fingerpicking. Between the Taylor and the Gibson I don't think I could pick a favorite. They have very different sounds and feel very different when playing. The Alvarez tends to get the least amount of use. It was given to me by a coworker that wanted to learn guitar and gave up. I keep it in open D tuning so I can play pretty much anything from Dylan's Blood on the Tracks.

Chris

...l and my newest guitar, the Bob Dylan SJ-200 Player's Edition which my wife gave on account of my love of guitars and Bob Dylan. I was too cheap to get it myself so she went ahead and ordered it when they came out :-)

Chris

First of all - welcome top the Gibson Acoustic side of the world. Second, does your wife have a sister ? :rolleyes:

...l and my newest guitar, the Bob Dylan SJ-200 Player's Edition which my wife gave on account of my love of guitars and Bob Dylan. I was too cheap to get it myself so she went ahead and ordered it when they came out :-)

Chris

First of all - welcome top the Gibson Acoustic side of the world. Second, does your wife have a sister ? :rolleyes:

Hi all, I'm new in here and new to being a Gibson owner - so new my instrument is arriving later this week.

I've been around a few shops and tried some Gibson acoustics a couple of months ago when I was thinking about the SJ-200 Bob Dylan Players Edition (though there wasn't one of these in my area so I didn't try one).

Anyway, time goes on and a few days ago I was back on the Gibson website and found the Doves In Flight Quilt, which is an absolutely beautiful instrument, which finally made me break into my piggy bank. This will sit along side my other instrument - a Yamaha CPX1000.

Do any of you know how many 'Doves In Flight Quilt' instruments are likely to be made, being a limited run and (as described in it's Gibson write-up) a 'highly prized rare model'? I'll see the answer to this when I get it but do they give the instrument number and run total in the paperwork with it, for example 123/5000?

Hi all, I'm new in here and new to being a Gibson owner - so new my instrument is arriving later this week.

Hi - 2 seriously impressing Gibson guitars you mention there. (I'm sure theYamaha's good too)

You must launch a thread down-stairs when the DIF arrives.

Pictures - Sounds - Thoughts.

CU later

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

By request, here's a place to introduce yourself to the Gibson acoustic forum members....

Hi all... I have recently purchased a 57 Country Western (Jumbo?). That's what the receipt says anyway, it's the size of a dreadnought, but the sound out of it is certainly jumbo.

It has a shrinking pick guard problem that has cracked and moved the flat top. It went to a luthier (sp) and received a custom brace to compensate for the skew in the top (from the side of the bridge to the side of the guitar is 1/4 inch) and a new bridge. As a result of that work it is almost marginally playable.

The cheap fix would be to redo the bridge to suit the neck but it;s not the right fix. That pick guard has to go and the repair, probably. Does anybody know of a site that will show me the steps?

The guitar is wonderfully ugly... had a whole lot of love beaten right into it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

By request, here's a place to introduce yourself to the Gibson acoustic forum members....

Hi All,

Been playing since the 70s and have owned a few Gibsons in my time, currently waiting for my '56 LG1 to have some set-up work done on it.

• 4 weeks later...

Saying hello here as well as in the main section. I didn't see the newbie stickie here in the acoustic section.

This is my first Gibson.

First pic is of my 2016 J-45 standard I bought at the end of July. The second is the custom TR I put on with my wife's name on it. I changed the tuners out to gold Gotohs and put in a set of Bob Colosi bone pins with abalone dots. I tweaked the setup a bit, have to do a little more to dial it in. Love this guitar. The last picture is the gang slouching and hanging around ....

IMG_20160820_132334625.jpg

IMG_20160815_213755341.jpg

Hanging, left to right: Martin D-16GT, Guild D-55, Larrivee OM-05, Seagull Coastline Folk, Alvarez APSB66. Left to right in stands, Lucero LC-100 nylon, Gibson J-45, Republic Tricone 200.

IMG_20160807_131418818.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi folks,

Owner of many fine Gibsons over the years, current stable includes my 2011 Hummingbird and 2010 Songwriter Deluxe Standard. The bird is a great strummer but the Songwriter turned into a beast after I removed the huge pickguard (or rather "thickguard" and the heavy Fishman system.

Hi folks,

Owner of many fine Gibsons over the years, current stable includes my 2011 Hummingbird and 2010 Songwriter Deluxe Standard. The bird is a great strummer but the Songwriter turned into a beast after I removed the huge pickguard (or rather "thickguard" and the heavy Fishman system.

Welcome aboard man. A lot of great people here. You may want to start a regular thread below to introduce yourself. The introduction here doesn't get very much looking at. Again welcome.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry as I was posting already before I introduce myself here.

Anyways, I am a Gibson fan and love their guitars all around, I once did have an old mid 70's Hummingbird that got nicked in the early 80's and that's where it all halted for me with acoustic, at least with Gibson but got lost into the Les

Paul world inly up and until this year I finally came around to sporting a Gibson acoustic.

Well now here it is 2 in a month along with a Martin in which I don't have any pictures yet!

Trans

Howdy Folks!

Just got my 2015 J45 2 weeks ago. I thought it would be a great addition to my '99 Collings D3 and '88 HD28. I love them all but I just can't put the J45 down! It's got more punch than the D3 and more low end than the HD28. If I had to choose one guitar it would be the J45 hands down. Awesome guitar!

post-83695-082366100 1485448818_thumb.jpg