Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to make your own presets

#1 User is offline   MidiSync 

• Group: Members

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:42 AM

Hello

I'm curious how to make your own presets. I'd like to use the 3m as a midi controller for use with a GR55 guitar synth to send midi cc or midi sysx messages. Can any longtime users enlighten me ?

#2 User is offline   doombadger 

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:29 PM

Hello mate, I use the 3m and 3d. As they're class compliant controllers they can both work as standard to send straight midi data to any instrument or host. You don't need any middleware unless you want to create more complex setups. Just map them. If you do want to create something more complex youll need a MIDI translator. The appallingly named DaRouter software that ships with the SCS3 is based on Bomes MT Pro which i can recommend as I use it but its not free. MIDIOX or other free options can do similar. Thats all I can say without more details. Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

#3 User is offline   MidiSync 

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

So far no luck, mainly because I just don't understand the 3M. Plugging the 3M USB port (host)into the GR55 does nothing, I'm guessing simply because I'm not sending the right MIDI CC data. Preferably I'd use the unit standalone, without a 'translator' per se.I'll have to figure out how to 'program' the 3M to send something the GR55 understands. Too bad the old forums are gone, usually there is something to be learned from others mis/fortune :)

#4 User is offline   doombadger 

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

The 3m sends data on MIDI ch1. If I can't get hold of either the output map or the MIDI Implementation chart from anyone I'll just make one and post links.

In the absence of any form of satisfactory support from official channels I have decided to gather as much information as possible and make easily and freely available to all. If anyone has any data, documentation or info they wish to add just get in touch and if anyone else has a problem with my plan then they're more than welcome to go away and cry about it.

More soon.....

#5 User is offline   artpunk 

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

View Postdoombadger, on 07 May 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

The 3m sends data on MIDI ch1. If I can't get hold of either the output map or the MIDI Implementation chart from anyone I'll just make one and post links.

In the absence of any form of satisfactory support from official channels I have decided to gather as much information as possible and make easily and freely available to all. If anyone has any data, documentation or info they wish to add just get in touch and if anyone else has a problem with my plan then they're more than welcome to go away and cry about it.

More soon.....

Hi doombadger, I know this is an old thread, but was wondering (if you are still around) if you had any progress with this? I got a SCS3m the other day and was annoyed to see that there were NO presets for it in 'da router' for generic midi mapping...only presets for various SCS3d set-ups. Considering it was advertised as being easily adapted for mapping/use in Ableton I was hoping to see some Ableton presets as well... But...seems like Traktor and a couple of other DJ apps (that I'm not that interested in) ...but Ableton Live. Obviously not.
Being a part of the very active monome and ableton community forums, I must admit my heart sank when I saw the lack of activity in this particular forum. For a product that has been out for a few years, this is not a good sign...

#6 User is offline   amplogik 

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:02 AM

No, there are no presets for ableton, but why would you need them?

Let me explain... DaRouter is just a really annoying way of confusing the crap outta folk. Sorry to say so, but it causes unnecessary headaches and frankly drives most people away. This is because it is NOT what people think it is. It is not a driver set for the devices, it is nothing more than a list of presets for a limited number of pieces of software that were popular when it got built, and a tool to automatically applly these presets without you having to map anything. However, the moment that any of the software, like SSL updated, most of those listings were about as much use as a kick in the pants.

So here's the skinny... The SCS.3 Controllers are midi class compliant devices and both windows vista and later (7, 8, 8.1) and mac OS leopard and later, automatically detect and have drivers for them. It's a standard midi controller. It only transmits on midi channel 1. So what you do is set up your software to talk to that controller on channel 1, turn on midi learn, and map it out yourself. In ableton this is so easy. Hit the midi button in the UI, midi learn turns on and all controls light up blue. Click on a control, and twiddle the control or slider on the 3d or 3m that you want to assign. Tada! Done.

So it is a bit of a pain the first time, but you save that setting and next time you're ready to go and the mappings are what YOU decided, not some badly documented and out of date mapping done by an insane person in a lab that evidently never played live in their lives and think that hidding common controls under layers of options was a good idea. Sorry, but the DaRouter mappings are nuts. Really, really bad.

I learned this the hard way, because the documentation is junk. I wondered if it was penned by someone that was secretly sent by the dark powers to drive humanity mad. It's terrible and doesn't explain this at all.

You do not need DaRouter to be happy or get these things to work, and in fact it mostly just gets in the way.

I learned this in the mixxx.org forum as they had a perfect mapping to their software with absolutely no DaRouter madness involved. Plug, play and go.

It was just a straight midi map on midi channel 1. That's all.

Most controllers by default talk on channel 0 by default and it's up to you to switch them around after setup to avoid conflict. The SCS system is hard coded to use channel 1 by default, so many people get confused and think it doesn't work without DaRouter, which is just a set of presets to map controls on channel 1 to off the shelf DJ software at the time. You don't need it any more than you need a throbbing headache, because that's pretty much what it is.

It's a watered down version of Bomes midi translator which does the same job for really complex set ups. I have no idea why they included it, but it was in my humble opinion, the actions of a madman. It made something simple utterly complicated and turned people off what was actually a very good piece of hardware (despite not being bus powered), and lost stanton a great lead in the DJ controller market.

So that's all guys, flip your software receive for this device to channel 1, and use midi learn to make your own mappings. Works great.

Sorry that I replied so late, but like yourselves, I couldn't find anyone to explain this to me and it took time to figure out what they heck was going on thanks to just about the WORST documentation ever written for a controller.

Turns out to be waaaaaaay simpler than they made out.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users