• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SCS 4DJ Feature Request

#1 User is offline   Jungle 

• Customer Service
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

As requested here is a place where you guys can post all of the features that you would like to see in future software/hardware releases.
**Please keep in mind the purpose for this topic is so that we can hear what you guys want (This a fun place) [cool] ***
****By posting in here does not mean that the next version will have all or any of your request(s)****

#2 User is offline   brecht ryckaert 

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:09 PM

I'd love the option to work with folders on my usb disk.
I usually divide my MP3's by genre, just like my cd's in their flightcases.
Would love to have this option on the SCS.4DJ.

Love the product by the way!

#3 User is offline   Darth 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:46 AM

a few things

- delay bug needs to be fixed
- search function needs fine tuning, sometimes the old search strings pop up even when I delete the letters
- headphone output is way too loud now
- playlist view should also display artist name

#4 User is offline   Jungle 

• Customer Service

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

View Postbrecht ryckaert, on 18 March 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

I'd love the option to work with folders on my usb disk.
I usually divide my MP3's by genre, just like my cd's in their flightcases.
Would love to have this option on the SCS.4DJ.

Love the product by the way!

You can already do this,
1)verify the version that you are using by going to "System/SCS4DJSettings/About SCS4dj/ Verify that you are using V2.1
2) if you are not then please visit this link to download the 2.1 update http://stantondj.com...ems/scs4dj.html
3)Once you have verified that you are using 2.1, with your drive connected and with music folders already set up on your drive, Go to System/Devices/Generate Playlist from device.

Once this is completed your playlist will appear in the playlist tab on the SCS4dj.

#5 User is offline   Voitano 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCzech republic

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

Hi,
i have got some hints ...

- Buttons random lightning at unit start or shutting down - is this necessary?
- Master output meters - is it possible to assign right meter to right deck and ditto to left side
- track info doesnt contain full path to file - bad identification of similar files in different folders
- better identification of usb devices
- playlist - artist name field
- beat grid manual 2 point assign, if automatic analyze has failed
- search - display all characters with moving selecting cursor
- improve jog dial response

sorry for my english

#6 User is offline   Darth 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

View PostVoitano, on 19 March 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

Hi,
i have got some hints ...

- Buttons random lightning at unit start or shutting down - is this necessary?

This is actually a good thing since the user then knows that the unit is not yet completely shut down. Unplugging the power cord while the unit is shutting down its processes might do damage on the usb drive.
;)

#7 User is offline   Scrinson 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationBristol UK

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:03 AM

View PostJungle, on 19 March 2012 - 02:39 PM, said:

You can already do this,
1)verify the version that you are using by going to "System/SCS4DJSettings/About SCS4dj/ Verify that you are using V2.1
2) if you are not then please visit this link to download the 2.1 update http://stantondj.com...ems/scs4dj.html
3)Once you have verified that you are using 2.1, with your drive connected and with music folders already set up on your drive, Go to System/Devices/Generate Playlist from device.

Once this is completed your playlist will appear in the playlist tab on the SCS4dj.

This is a work around because when working with playlists, you don't have the search functions available and is a bit clunky.

I would like a virtual folder system like VDJ. Using playlists as you suggest means that to have a song appear in multiple playlists means having multiple copies of it in different folders.

Cheers
Rick Perryman

Email: rick@scrinson.co.uk
Web: www.scrinson.co.uk
Phone: 01275 390397
Mobile: 07710 450426

#8 User is offline   Scrinson 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationBristol UK

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:04 AM

View PostDarth, on 19 March 2012 - 04:35 PM, said:

This is actually a good thing since the user then knows that the unit is not yet completely shut down. Unplugging the power cord while the unit is shutting down its processes might do damage on the usb drive.
;)

Having all of the lights flashing on and off during startup and shutdown makes it look like a kids toy. This function could be a option

Cheers
Rick Perryman

#9 User is offline   Darth 

• Advanced Member

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

View PostScrinson, on 21 March 2012 - 04:04 AM, said:

Having all of the lights flashing on and off during startup and shutdown makes it look like a kids toy. This function could be a option

Cheers

It is not uncommon however to have this kind of light/button cycle startup on hardware, synths etc. To me there's nothing toylike to it but your mileage may vary. [smile]

#10 User is offline   Scrinson 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationBristol UK

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:26 AM

View PostDarth, on 21 March 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

It is not uncommon however to have this kind of light/button cycle startup on hardware, synths etc. To me there's nothing toylike to it but your mileage may vary. [smile]

Having all the LEDs switch on as a check that they are working and showing the state of the boot process is a good thing but having this thing flashing like a Christmas tree is ridiculous.
Rick Perryman

#11 User is offline   fotofx 

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

Here are a few:

1. Get past the 20000 song limit.
2. Find a way for the cross fader to start the deck like your old mixers.
3. The search function needs a complete rework. As previously stated, old search still comes up.

#12 User is offline   djmoya 

• LocationNew Mexico

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

Saw some good requests above and added some more...

- playlist view should also display artist name
- search - display all characters with moving selecting cursor
- search display results show artist title and bpm
- be able to search specific fields by them selves.. artist, title, bpm, comments
- improve jog dial response
- ability to change REC or TOUCH button to a shift button for more features or controls
- ability to use screen side buttons as hot cues 4 on each deck
- get past the 20000 song limit
- pre listen a song in a playlist without loading it to a deck
- more effects

:::::::::edit 3/28/12:::::::::::::

One major thing I forgot to add was speed....browsing through more then 8 gigs of music goes so slow. If we had the 20 thousand max songs the device takes forever to boot up and load the music. Then forget about using browse to look for songs... you have to use playlists and even that is slow like a turtle. Some people who like to mix on the fly will have very hard time dealing with this speed... This and some random crashes makes me wonder if im better going back to the laptop... im already passed my 30 day return too :( i wish i could overclock this thing heh heh

oh and one more thing to add

-use onboard scs4 soundcard when device is in midi controller mode for the computer

#13 User is offline   Jungle 

• Customer Service

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

View PostJungle, on 16 March 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

As requested here is a place where you guys can post all of the features that you would like to see in future software/hardware releases.
**Please keep in mind the purpose for this topic is so that we can hear what you guys want (This a fun place) [cool] ***
****By posting in here does not mean that the next version will have all or any of your request(s)****

Guys... and Gals
Just wanted to say you all are doing a great job of listing your wonderful ideas we are all impressed with amount of feedback we have gotten. Please keep posting! And know that your post are being seen and considered.

#14 User is offline   Darth 

• Advanced Member

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

Some more

- filter could benefit from some fine tuning, now it is pretty harsh sounding, especially the hipass has too much resonance
- more feedback control for delay to make it richer sounding
- the loop function needs tweaking, often I cannot halve the default one bar length in the beginning of a song, a quick turnaround to this
would be to have a half bar as a preset option
- additional zoom option for larger view would be nice so you wouldn't have to switch between home/waveform view
- song KEY for the playlist

#15 User is offline   mazyngaz 

• Advanced Member

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

an optional GAIN TRIM! and the level of each channel instead master volume, because autogain is not even full useful!
also a faster interface! thanks!!

#16 User is offline   EdN2008 

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:15 AM

I am a professional deejay, who plays all over the world. Mostly in clubs I play with Pioneer CDJ 2000, which is very easy because I only need to have some USB sticks.
Not every club/pary/venue has the ability to provide these expensive cd players. Lately I came across some clubs where the equipment was really awful. Therefor I decided to look for a 'back-up plan'.
Many years ago I was a beta-tester for Hercules, because I strongly believed that MP3 was going to be the new future. Time has proven me correct.

So I began looking for a portable solution that would be easy to store, set-up and begin. Quickly my eye came onto the Stanton SCS4. The solution provided, a controller with built-in screen was what I already suggested many years before to Hercules! Anyway, I was very happy to see that Stanton had a controller with this feature. So I decided to buy it. It's price is not cheap (it's about the same as Pioneer Ergo controller that I also looked at). But not having to connect a computer is thé outstanding worth of buying the Stanton.

When arrived I quickly updated the system to version 2.1. My music database run through the QuickGrid software (which goes fast, much faster than Pioneer's Rekordbox software, this last one can take up to hours to analyze & copy to a USB stick). So very fast I could start testing. After some extended testing, this is my opinion:

- the controller is very robust, all faders feel good and work perfectly. The platters feel very nice and have a quality spin.
- some nifty features like the double headphones output, with a small and big connection.
- the buttons for the loading of tracks, search, etcetera are a bit stiff and small, but I think that will wear out once I have worked many hours with the device
- the electricity output, the adapter, that seems a bit cheap to me. I'm not a fan of small adapters, I would've liked it that it was a regular wire that goes into an electricity socket.

So my overall impression is very good. Though there are some points that I would make out that do need improvement:

SOFTWARE
The software needs a big upgrade. First (and most important), the software needs to be much, much, much more quicker! Scrolling through the list of MP3's, it just goes to slow. Which gives you a feeling to try to speed up things by spinning the wheel even faster, which results that you always go too far when looking for an MP3. Also the 'freeze frame' when you click to load a track is not pleasant. The software pauses for a few seconds which can be annoying.

The beat (sync) dividing. This feels for me like one of the earlier versions of Virtual DJ. The waveform with the beat markers.
I have experienced that many beats are wrongly analyzed. Or that the beats go astray, certainly in softer (beatless) parts of songs. People using the SYNC button would completely train wreck their music that way. So the beat analyzing should improve.

Song/Artist order: you can select which order you want your music to appear on the screen, listed from Song (track name) or from Artist. Switching only results in seeing the columns change.
What I would like to see is actually switching of the columns on screen: ARTIST left and SONG right. If you choose to switch to list SONG first, then that column should go to the left and ARTIST to the right.
I think that is a small update in the software that is necessary.

HARDWARE
About the hardware I only have a few issues.
Headphone output: I hear some background noise (when there is no music playing). It probably is a latency noise, but perhaps that could be filtered out?
I saw someone asking to lower the sound level, because it's to loud. DON'T DO THAT! When playing in clubs, it couldn't go loud enough I'm afraid. Some clubs have massive monitors that go really loud, so it is necessary that the headphone output on the SCS4 goes loud enough. I haven't tested it yet 'live' in a club, but I think that the loudness is just right now.

Platters: as read on many forums, Stanton choose a very unique way of attending to the platters. You have the touch and scratch buttons and no buttons. Perhaps I haven't tried them enough but I'm also finding it misleading what does what now. I use the touch button to 'scroll' inside a track and use the CUE button to but it on the correct starting point that I like. I think that Stanton has to look to Pioneer and see how they are doing it with their platters.

Okay, this was my first forum topic and I will probably add some more information/request as time goes on.
Overall, I'm happy with the controller, and I am looking forward to use it live in a club/party/venue.

#17 User is offline   Darth 

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:43 AM

This is quite interesting what you said about the headphone out, I can crank it only up to 1/3 (in a loud club, wearing isolating drummer type headphones), after that my ears would literally burst. The same loudness is present when using my Sennheiser HD25s. Way too loud, there's really no room for adjustment, just a slight move on the volume knob makes a major boost ! Posted Image
I'd like to see the headphones 'turbo boost' as a menu option, to get back to the level it was before FW update.

#18 User is offline   diggy 

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:29 AM

I have had the SCS4DJ for a week, main improvements could be:

Not Having to have 20% redundant space on hard drives, this wouldn't be so annoying if it were exact, I had analyse my music 3 times before getting the free space balance right, maybe quick grid could check this first.

It needs a folder view, or sufficiently detailed playlists.

I have the fastest possible USB drive yet it is still slow to navigate tracks

The seek facility seems clunky, normally too fast this should be configurable, most of the time I don't want to skip 40 seconds rather 4.

The beat Matcher isn't bad, but I would echo others comments. as a result I sometimes beat match manually, the problem here is that the jog wheels seem hyper sensitive, maybe I just need to get used to them, I'm used to cdj400.

If you spin back over 3-5 seconds it sounds computer like and skips sections. Anyone overcome this?

I would love a USB input for an effect unit, or iPhone effect apps, it would be great if these samples could then be recorded when dropped in the mix using the inbulit record feature. I tried connecting my iPhone but sound doesn't come through - has anyone else managed this?

#19 User is offline   Ishfaq 

• Advanced Member

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

Just got my SCS.4DJ. First off, have to say it's a wonderful machine. Been DJing for years, started off with vinyl, moved to laptop and controller then, but had so many laptop problems over the years that I've been eagerly awaiting an all-in-one unit, and this thing ticks all my boxes!

Anyways, after a couple hours messing around with it, I have just 3 suggestions as well:

1. Better BPM detection / Adjustable Beat Grid
As mentioned above, would be great to be able to manually adjust the beat grids when the bpm is calculated wrong. For me this is the most important thing. I'd be quite happy if this was just built into the QuickGrid software, as I plan on preparing all my music well in advance. You could show the waveform, and when you set the new/correct bpm, the grid is shown, and you could then simply re-align it and save it. Check out the Pioneer Rekordbox app for an idea on how this could be easily implemented:

Posted Image

Maybe Stanton could also collaborate with Mixvibes to get the QuickGrid app upgraded? I tested out analyzing some tunes with it that QuickGrid failed to correctly analyze and it was spot on with them. For example the Floating Points tune in the image below - it's got a very obvious 4/4 kick pattern, but QuickGrid was waaaaaay off on the bpm/beatgrid.

2. Full waveform zoom
Some more options for the zoom. Would be nice to have a full view for each waveform, instead of having to switch to the "cover view". Maybe just add the full waveform to the locator line:

Posted Image

3. Split level monitoring
Not hugely important, but as someone said above, an option to show the level of each channel instead of stereo master volume. I think this would be more useful as there's no gain controls, and when the auto gain doesn't quite work it would be good to know that the tracks aren't levelled by a quick glance at the level monitors:

Posted Image

That's it for now. Great job Stanton!

#20 User is offline   Ishfaq 

• Advanced Member

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:30 AM

Actually, regarding miscalculated BPM's and Beat Grids - seeing as there's already an option to "Shift Beat Grid to CUE" - why not just add an option to override the calculated BPM with the BPM set in the ID3 tag (or even manually input via text/tapping)? Would like to be able to "textually" add a BPM if I already know it, as the "Tap" thing isn't 100% accurate.

Then, just set the Beat Grid to the ID3/Tapped BPM, and you can use the "Shift Beat Grid to CUE" option to get it aligned correctly. All this really requires is adding an option to re-add the Beat Grid to a specified BPM.

So you could have an option there, when you click edit BPM, that it allows you to write a BPM in, and also choose between analyzed Beat Grid, or Beat Grid based on new BPM specified. Shouldn't be too hard?

Of course, if just the QuickGrid software was upgraded so you could manually fix stuff that would work also.

Failing that, just an option to hide the Beat Grid on a track - if it's not analyzed correctly, I'd rather not see it at all and just go by the waveform for manually syncing. It gets really confusing if it's not correct and you're trying to watch the waveform for the beats.

Share this topic:

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users