Gibson Brands Forums

What happens next?

jannusguy2

Ok, so Fedex indicates my Roy Smeck Radio Grande was signed for today in Bozeman. I sent it back due to a crack having developed in the back. It was looked at and diagnosed by the local Gibson certified repair person. Rather than have Sam Ash send it back, I sent it. What happens next? How long should I expect to wait to hear from someone as it regards the disposition of my instrument? Anyone have any experience with this? I'd appreciate it if someone could weigh in...

The guitar will be unboxed and inspected and evaluated by Jeremy Morton at the factory. After the evaluation the guitar will be deemed to be warranty or non warranty depending on what is going on. it is a pretty sweet guitar by the way!! If not covered the guitar will be returned. In your case I do believe it will be here a bit. I have left you a PM with my contact info so you are able to get ahold of me. I will be in touch once all of the paper work is in order.

Anytime lacquer work is being done on the guitar expect for the guitar to be here 4-6 weeks

Setup 2-3 weeks

There is no set time frame for guitars to be repaired, but they do go with the flow of production.

JM

Ok, so Fedex indicates my Roy Smeck Radio Grande was signed for today in Bozeman. I sent it back due to a crack having developed in the back. It was looked at and diagnosed by the local Gibson certified repair person. Rather than have Sam Ash send it back, I sent it. What happens next? How long should I expect to wait to hear from someone as it regards the disposition of my instrument? Anyone have any experience with this? I'd appreciate it if someone could weigh in...

I think you should document the entire process. Day to day. I know the process but I won't relate it. It will involve some time for sure and no one will keep you updated. Keep track of your calls and report who you talked to and what the outcome of the conversation is. We will all be rooting for you. When you call have the R.A. number as well as your model and serial number. Have the date Fed Ex delivered it as well. This will help a very overworked Custom Service person.

I only tell you this not to worry you but to worry the management at Gibson. Their return guitar proceedure leaves a lot to be desired. Please keep the Forum updated after every call.

Jeremy called me today and put my mind at ease. As I suspected, the back had cracked and it wasn't just the finish. Glad to have gotten to it in time before it became worse. Jeremy is a very nice chap who also took the time to check on my J200 TV build. I feel like I'm in good hands and am looking forward to a smooth process.

I think you should document the entire process. Day to day. I know the process but I won't relate it. It will involve some time for sure and no one will keep you updated. Keep track of your calls and report who you talked to and what the outcome of the conversation is. We will all be rooting for you. When you call have the R.A. number as well as your model and serial number. Have the date Fed Ex delivered it as well. This will help a very overworked Custom Service person.

I only tell you this not to worry you but to worry the management at Gibson. Their return guitar proceedure leaves a lot to be desired. Please keep the Forum updated after every call.

Everyone who has a guitar at the factory gets direct attention from me. I know where all of the RMA's are in the factory and pay close attention that each guitar is returned in a timely manner. The Montana returns system is actually runs quite smooth and efficient.

JM

Everyone who has a guitar at the factory gets direct attention from me. I know where all of the RMA's are in the factory and pay close attention that each guitar is returned in a timely manner. The Montana returns system is actually runs quite smooth and efficient.

JM

absolutely. Jeremey is A+. Hogeye may be correct if you are dealing with sending something to Nashville... it gets caught up in the shuffle. Bozeman is NOTHING like Nashville. Those guys take things on a much more personal basis.... Jeremy included. I have been fortunate enough to meet him in person, and I can tell you that he does care, will do his best to make it a happy experience.

absolutely. Jeremey is A+. Hogeye may be correct if you are dealing with sending something to Nashville... it gets caught up in the shuffle. Bozeman is NOTHING like Nashville. Those guys take things on a much more personal basis.... Jeremy included. I have been fortunate enough to meet him in person, and I can tell you that he does care, will do his best to make it a happy experience.

My experience with Nashville was excellent and so-so ..... on the so-so end, I did not get any "personal" service, only good communication via email and an accurate pre-service estimate based on my description of the work to be done.

Excellent in that the service was done quickly and, well,the work was excellent. Even to the point that a fret job was included at the same cost …. it may have been necessary due to the nature of the work (replacing the truss rod … anyone know if a truss rod replacement requires a re-frettingt?) . Very pleased over all but the personal touch would have been nice ... sorta like being able to talk to the doctor about your child's illness.

All in all a good experience and my AJ plays better than ever … wish I did!

Unfortunately the Customer Service team fields calls and requests for all the gibson divisions. When there is a question about a specific question about a guitar in montana they get in touch with me to find out. A personal touch is nice but reaching someone on the phone can prove to be quite difficult so email is the most efficient way to communicate with all inquiries.

JM

The guitar will be unboxed and inspected and evaluated by Jeremy Morton at the factory. After the evaluation the guitar will be deemed to be warranty or non warranty depending on what is going on. it is a pretty sweet guitar by the way!! If not covered the guitar will be returned. In your case I do believe it will be here a bit. I have left you a PM with my contact info so you are able to get ahold of me. I will be in touch once all of the paper work is in order.

Anytime lacquer work is being done on the guitar expect for the guitar to be here 4-6 weeks

Setup 2-3 weeks

There is no set time frame for guitars to be repaired, but they do go with the flow of production.

JM

Nice to know you guys are on the ball. Bravo

JM

You guys make some great looking and sounding guitars man. [thumbup]

What are the alternatives?

Fedex, UPS and USPS. Ya pays yer money, an ya takes yer chances....

I've used all three. It's a crap shoot. Pack it really, really well, including wrapping the headstock in bubble wrap inside the case. Air-filled plastic bags are better than plastic peanuts around the case, as the peanuts shift around and settle. Even better are the molded rigid foam pieces that Gibson packs around its cases (not necessarily cases with guitars in them. The boxes and packing they use to ship cases alone are worth saving.) These are molded to fit tightly around the top of the case and the bottom, while holding the case rigidly in position the middle of the box.

I always save these, but now I've got an attic and garage full of them. My wife thinks I'm just a hoarder. She may be right. [biggrin]

Fedex, UPS and USPS. Ya pays yer money, an ya takes yer chances....

I've used all three. It's a crap shoot. Pack it really, really well, including wrapping the headstock in bubble wrap inside the case. Air-filled plastic bags are better than plastic peanuts around the case, as the peanuts shift around and settle. Even better are the molded rigid foam pieces that Gibson packs around its cases (not necessarily cases with guitars in them. The boxes and packing they use to ship cases alone are worth saving.) These are molded to fit tightly around the top of the case and the bottom, while holding the case rigidly in position the middle of the box.

I always save these, but now I've got an attic and garage full of them. My wife thinks I'm just a hoarder. She may be right. [biggrin]

I keep mine, also. I shipped the guitar back to bozeman exactly as they shipped it out. I won't use USPS due to poor tracking data mostly.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just notified that my Roy Smeck is repaired and has been shipped back to me. 21 day turn around for a back crack and all that goes into sorting that out. Pretty impressive. Looking forward to having the guitar back in the fold and grateful for the courtesy and consideration shown by Jeremy and Don.

Archived