Gibson Brands Forums

New SG - Static

I recently bought a new Gibson SG Standard. (The one with coil taps)

I'm having some trouble with it though. I'm getting a lot of static from the back of the guitar, specifically around the plate that is over the electronics. It is causing some pretty crazy crackling and popping whenever I move even a little bit. I did a good amount of troubleshooting and have isolated this problem being from this point. I took all of my pedals out of the chain and went direct in on my amp. Still did it. Tried it with five different cables. Still did it. Tried my other three guitars with multiple cables straight into my amp. They all were fine.

I went to Guitar Center and I checked out about 10 other Gibson guitars. Almost all of them did it as well. This kind of tells me that this is a common, if not, "known issue" with these guitars. Has anyone here had this problem and/or know of a legit fix for it? I have an email in to customer service. I'm really hoping that I can get this fixed because this is the guitar that I want to play! I love the feel and tone of it. This static is ridiculous though!!

Thanks!

Yes, I have been to Guitar Center twice about it. They want me to contact Gibson because they feel like it should be covered under the manufacturers warranty. As for shielding, that is most likely the issue as far as I can tell but 1. I don't know how to fix that and 2. I don't want to modify anything on the guitar yet if it might void the warranty.

Mostly, I just need to know if others have had this issue and more importantly, what the actual fix was/is.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

So I don't know if any body is following still but - been there fixed that:

Try some shielding tape on the inside of the plastic cover plate.

the guitar cavity should have shielding paint already applied at the factory.

Archived