Gibson Brands Forums

J-200 no more???

LPDEN

Seems only the CE cutaway version is now being offered along with a dressed down Artist version. I wonder why the change? The J-200 was a nice alternative to the Gibson J-200 for budget considerations. It seemed to be a good seller too. Might be a good time to grab any remaining in the pipeline...

Wow! This is amazing! I just checked www.epiphone.com and on the left side clicked "out of production" ...Epiphone has discontinued almost every guitar, not only the EJ-200 but almost EVERY guitar they make. Not only will this make customers unhappy....but may well alienate present and FUTURE customers because their own Epi products may now be obsolete,and we are deliberately being left out of the loop as loyal customers. No explanation what so ever is offered on the Epi site for closing out and discontinuing some 65 --yes sixty five, or more guitars, almost 100% of all the guitars they make.Including most of the Masterbuilt line. Why isn't Epi relieving these fears by explaining to the public what is going on. My AJ220s is one of the few left, but even that could have changed by now. I certainly will put a halt on buying ANY Epi products until Epiphone puts out a statement to clarify what is going on. Until they do, I will consider Epiphone to be a company that is in the process of CLOSING, and will NOT recommend buying an Epi product to any of my guitarist friends.You say the dealer told you that the ej-200 is discontinued, although the Epi site says not...but considering how fast they are dropping guitars, the out of production link may just have not updated. I would never buy a guitar which is discontinued. That is a sure way to make an Epi worthless for trade in or selling considerations. They will be worthless in most peoples eyes, except for the player who owns it, and even he may not want an obsolete, out of production model.

Hi Alan, This has gone on for many, many years but maybe not in such quantity. Then again, Epi has alot of guitars in it's active line to begin with so it may be relative. Other manufacturers are doing it too, some more frequently. When the old Epiphone message board was in place some 5 or 6 years ago I recall even the Old Epiphone website revealed the rotation of guitars that went in and out of production and availability. And I recall the posts back then that showed dismay because someone may have wanted a particular model and suddenly no dice.. It happens, so I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water here, Epiphone is probably adjusting it's production to demand and it's overseas factory operations. That doesn't mean some models won't come back, but I understand exactly where you're coming from about reassurance that the carpet isn't being yanked out from under your feet when you make a commitment to a brand . And like you, in the case of the EJ-200 (a guitar I knew I was going to acquire because I couldn't justify the Gibson J-200TV that I really would like to own) when I saw it was in the out of production category, I started to scramble to find one in the Natural that I wanted. It was disappointing finding one that had been damaged in the store due to mishandling. Fortunately I found one tonight at another shop, but I'll save that reveal for another thread and will leave this one for the model availability discussion..

I wouldn't worry about buying a discontinued model.

For some reason, I find myself more attracted to them,

because they will no longer be around. And if it's

a model you want - buy it. And enjoy it.

All Epi's and any (or most) guitars for that matter you buy today

will be worth less tomorrow than what you paid.

1332378447[/url]' post='1156885']

I wouldn't worry about buying a discontinued model.

For some reason, I find myself more attracted to them,

because they will no longer be around. And if it's

a model you want - buy it. And enjoy it.

All Epi's and any (or most) guitars for that matter you buy today

will be worth less tomorrow than what you paid.

It's what drove me to act on the EJ-200 purchase I had put off in favor other purchases, so what you say is valid....

I have to say that I would not buy a discontinued model. I intended to buy a few more Epi's but since I have now found out that the norm for many many years by Epi, is to screw with my head by playing rotating doors with discontinued models, well I'm glad I found out in time. I like my AJ220sce...but there will be nor more epi's because of this. A few discontinued models is understandable but 65 models and more?? Just VANISHED! And with ZERO explanation to the public? GuitarCenters, MusiciansFriend...all of them now reporting that the Epi's they carried are discontinued...with no other explanation offered by anyone. I am offended by Epi and Gibson.I deserve better. Imagine if Martin did this, or Taylor or Gibson---or anybody else!! Their customers would turn in a minute. And who could blame them?

What does it matter even if Epiphone did cease to exist.

A guitar is a guitar.

If its good, it's good.

Sometimes it's not always that one-dimensional.... A brand can have an identified meaning based on experience or pinnacle moments that exceed their basic function..

Archived