Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson pre-2010 Firebird V vs Firebird V 2010 neck

rmnc

I'd like to know if the Firebird V 2010 has any changes from pre-2010 models, besides pickups and tuners. I'm confused as to why the old spec sheet states that the neck is a slim taper, whereas the 2010 specs state it's a hybrid 50s/60s profile.

The current Gibson Firebird V 2010 page states;

"Gibson's distinctive but different '50s and '60s neck profiles are loved by different camps of players, the former rounded and chunky, the latter thinner and flatter. For the Firebird V, Gibson USA blends the two feels, in a neck that is still slim and fast, but with an appealing roundness that sits beautifully in the hand.

The neck on the Firebird V is carved to a hybrid '50s/'60s shape that is slim and fast, yet rounded and comfortable in the hand. It measures approximately .800" thick at the 1st fret and .850" at the 12th."

Whereas, this old pre-2010 spec sheet (http://www.gibson.com/Files/USA_PDFs/Firebirdsdatasheet.pdf) states;

"Profile: Slim taper

Thickness at 1st fret: 0.800"

Thickness at 12th fret: 0.850""

I'd like to know if the neck profile was changed for the 2010 model, has anyone compared a pre-2010 Firebird V neck with a V 2010 model neck?

Alternatively, does the fact that the 1st and 12th fret width remained same over both model show that the neck profile remained the same shape, or could it have changed profile shapes despite this common measurement?

Alternatively, does the fact that the 1st and 12th fret width remained same over both model show that the neck profile remained the same shape, or could it have changed profile shapes despite this common measurement?

That's a very good question. My guess is you wouldn't be able to tell the difference just by feel. The profile has to be very close to same in order to maintain those thicknesses.

That's a very good question. My guess is you wouldn't be able to tell the difference just by feel. The profile has to be very close to same in order to maintain those thicknesses.

Interesting. Can anyone weigh in with a comparison or Gibson rep with some info?

Again, can't believe the classic white Firebird V is being discontinued...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived