Gibson Brands Forums

how to date my serial number

prophx

post-41849-046720500 1332401587_thumb.jpg

post-41849-043477900 1332401617_thumb.jpg

hello,i just bought a gibson acoustic guitar

and i wanna ask how do i match the serial number of my guitar in the gibson's database?

my guitar model is SSHBUSNH1 and serial number is 13221001..thank you

post-41849-012370100 1332401673_thumb.jpg

that would be a 2011 , 322nd day and the first one made that day :-)

1st and 5th are the year

good luck with it , hope ya like it

hmm...but it is hummingbird 2008 special edition with vintage sunburst finish..could it be made in 2011?

you've confused me ... i'm wrong on many occasions and this may well be another example , but ...,,

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/support/serialnumbersearch/

bit crazy some of it , but the one thing that is same is the 1st and 5th digits tell you the year :-s

your number doesnt even have an 8 in it anywhere

again , i may be talking crap ... and someone who knows more than me will come along and put this all right .

you liking the guitar ? i have a j45 but i adore hummingbirds and if i had the cash it would be the next purchase .

you've confused me ... i'm wrong on many occasions and this may well be another example , but ...,,

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/support/serialnumbersearch/

bit crazy some of it , but the one thing that is same is the 1st and 5th digits tell you the year :-s

your number doesnt even have an 8 in it anywhere

again , i may be talking crap ... and someone who knows more than me will come along and put this all right .

you liking the guitar ? i have a j45 but i adore hummingbirds and if i had the cash it would be the next purchase .

thank you for your information..because im from malaysia and there is no gibson authorised guitar shop..i asked one local music centre to help me order from GISBON USA..now the guitar is arrived,and i trying to identify that my guitar is original or not

and i wanna ask how do i match the serial number of my guitar in the gibson's database?

Are you sure that you've posted the serial number correctly? Some pics can help...

It might be easier to number serial dates:

Serial Dates

On a more serious note, if you ordered directly from Gibson via your local store, then I would expect the guitar to be brand new and not a 2008. That would square with the 2011 date which the serial number suggests. Perhaps in their description of the guitar, somebody got the 2008 limited run of Hummingbird TVs confused with the subsequent more general run of the model. (Maybe they're naming it after the original introduction date and not meaning to suggest that the instrument itself was built in 2008.) A mail to Gibson should be able to confirm whether they indeed despatched a guitar with your number to Malaysia or not.

It might be easier to number serial dates:

Serial Dates

On a more serious note, if you ordered directly from Gibson via your local store, then I would expect the guitar to be brand new and not a 2008. That would square with the 2011 date which the serial number suggests. Perhaps in their description of the guitar, somebody got the 2008 limited run of Hummingbird TVs confused with the subsequent more general run of the model. (Maybe they're naming it after the original introduction date and not meaning to suggest that the instrument itself was built in 2008.) A mail to Gibson should be able to confirm whether they indeed despatched a guitar with your number to Malaysia or not.

thank you very much!

The Gibson site lists more than a half-dozen 'Bird variants currently in production. The serial number given is 2011, which would be consistent with your dealer ordering a new guitar from Gibson.

What does the label say in terms of model?

FYI GuitarDater says its a 2011 also, so I don't know why you think it's a 2008 guitar

ohhh!thank you,because i thought that it was the special edition in 2008 only..from the data i found,gibson produce very less of this guitar..

ohhh!thank you,because i thought that it was the special edition in 2008 only..from the data i found,gibson produce very less of this guitar..

There was a thread about this awhile ago. Here's a link. Apparently, the only difference in the Special Edition and other 2008 Hummingbird MCs was that the color of the sunburst. Gibson, or some dealer, just decided to promote an option that was always available by introducing a "Special Edition". (As a result, I expect that there were more VSB Hummingbirds than usual built that year. So it seems like they should be less collectable -- but who knows?) If yours is a Hummingbird Standard in VSB rather than cherry, you got what amounts to the Special Edition, no matter when it was built.

-- Bob R

There was a thread about this awhile ago. Here's a link. Apparently, the only difference in the Special Edition and other 2008 Hummingbird MCs was that the color of the sunburst. Gibson, or some dealer, just decided to promote an option that was always available by introducing a "Special Edition". (As a result, I expect that there were more VSB Hummingbirds than usual built that year. So it seems like they should be less collectable -- but who knows?) If yours is a Hummingbird Standard in VSB rather than cherry, you got what amounts to the Special Edition, no matter when it was built.

-- Bob R

Perhaps,because i live in asian country,and there is lots of imitated thing..and gibson guitar is quite expensive to me,that why i have to confirm that my gibson guitar is original

Perhaps,because i live in asian country,and there is lots of imitated thing..and gibson guitar is quite expensive to me,that why i have to confirm that my gibson guitar is original

Just call or email Customer Service. If you can provide them with a serial number, they can confirm that it is the number of an actual guitar and what model it is. (Of course, that's not a guarantee of legitimacy, but at least you will know whether there is a Hummingbird with that serial number.) Beyond that, if you post some photos here, a number of forum folks are quite good at spotting forgeries.

-- Bob R

post-41849-046720500 1332401587_thumb.jpg

post-41849-043477900 1332401617_thumb.jpg

Can you give some pic's of the whole guitar.. the body ect.. for a better idea of what you have.

hmmmmmm :-k

more pic's and someone will help you.

Archived