Gibson Brands Forums

The Moderne... Gibson & Epiphone versions

LPDEN

The Modernes are indeed rare birds, and Epiphone had a hand at one over the years. Now I see Gibson is embracing the Moderne from it's heritage with their own run again. I think it's it cool and the price isn't overly prohibitive when compared to Gibson LP's either, and considering the rariity of the model overall, will probably soften the used prices of both the Gibson and Epiphone versions.. I noted too that they chose the V hedstock versus the Gumby headstock that was also true to the originals from the 50's and that the Epiphone employed.

Looks great in the Black finish...

DSMDEBGH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx?KeepThis=true&

I wonder if the original designer - Ray Dietrich would have imagined that his designs would still be in existence today. He designed the Moderne, The Explorer and the Flying V. Apparently he was a car designer that Gibson hired to design these guitars. Way ahead of their time as sagging sales forced Gibson to abandon them after a very short period of time, only to be ressurected years later. The Moderne never made into production at all. There was a rumor going around that Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top owned the only original Moderne prototype. Don't know if that's true or not.

It was indeed a magical period where designs were allowed to go beyond the limits and very little was held into an envelope of any kind. Those designs all reminded me of the imagination of space, science and flight of far away destinations making their way into tangible things such such as cars and guitars...

301437357_2a1794abb2.jpg

I suppose it's all perspective bu the futuristic designs of the past seem to go into cycles of acceptance mainly because they get lost in generational change, but seemingly get recognized again because their designs were indeed forward looking to the imagination... I could see myself owning a Moderne. Make mine Amber or Black, please...

IMO it's one of the ugliest guitar models around, regardless of the headstock.

Sorry, but for me......NO! [-(

I've played one, they're actually quite comfortable.... As for looks, well, eye of the beholder...

Ibanez being true to form copied this design a few years ago with a budget model...

And by that you mean the 1970's. And they weren't really 'budget.' They were cheaper than American made guitars at the time, still expensive.

In other news, I WANT ONE BAD.

I'm glad there's an Epi version for the fans of this model..........

It's not for me, although there is a market for the Moderne...........

Helen Keller LOVED hers..........:unsure: [blink][smile][sneaky] .........................

And by that you mean the 1970's. And they weren't really 'budget.' They were cheaper than American made guitars at the time, still expensive.

In other news, I WANT ONE BAD.

No by that I meant in 2010. It was a short lived run apparently, but a few show up on eBay from time to time...

Yes they had some quality instruments in the 70's (Lawsuit ERA). I owned one of their Artist models at one point. great guitar. I also owned a '83 Roadstar RS405 (Strat copy) that I purchased new, and it was far superior than the Stratocasters of the time Fender was putting out . So I'm not coming down on Ibanez as an instrument maker, just their originality from time to time...

No by that I meant in 2010. It was a short lived run apparently, but a few show up on eBay from time to time...

My apologizes. [unsure] Must have been a super limited run, 'cause I keep up with new releases pretty well.

And in more news, I STILL WANT ONE.

I wonder if the original designer - Ray Dietrich would have imagined that his designs would still be in existence today. He designed the Moderne, The Explorer and the Flying V. Apparently he was a car designer that Gibson hired to design these guitars. Way ahead of their time as sagging sales forced Gibson to abandon them after a very short period of time, only to be ressurected years later. The Moderne never made into production at all. There was a rumor going around that Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top owned the only original Moderne prototype. Don't know if that's true or not.

From everything I've read, I don't think Ray Dietrich had anything to do with the Moderne, the Explorer, or the Flying V. He did design the reverse Firebird, but the earlier korina guitars were designed by Ted McCarty and the design team at Gibson. It's likely that Dietrich saw an Explorer before he came up with the Firebird--the Firebird could be thought of as a curvier Explorer.

1332383270[/url]' post='1156927']

My apologizes. [unsure] Must have been a super limited run, 'cause I keep up with new releases pretty well.

And in more news, I STILL WANT ONE.

Not a problem at all. I'll try to find the model # and a pic...

1332377603[/url]' post='1156869']

I'm glad there's an Epi version for the fans of this model..........

It's not for me, although there is a market for the Moderne...........

Helen Keller LOVED hers..........:unsure: [blink][smile][sneaky] .........................

Oh I see some real desire by you to own one. In the same fashion a young school boy pushes the girl he has a crush on...

1332407740[/url]' post='1157064']

I love unusual guitars but the Moderne is pretty much meh to me, though if one turned up at the right price there's a chance I could be tempted.

Darn, I must be looking at something different. The Moderne is a work of art in my eyes...

1332402656[/url]' post='1157048']

From everything I've read, I don't think Ray Dietrich had anything to do with the Moderne, the Explorer, or the Flying V. He did design the reverse Firebird, but the earlier korina guitars were designed by Ted McCarty and the design team at Gibson. It's likely that Dietrich saw an Explorer before he came up with the Firebird--the Firebird could be thought of as a curvier Explorer.

No doubt McCarty was the driving force that pushed these mentioned guitars to their creation. I recall reading a magazine article interview of McCarty many years before his death that discussed this...

Archived