Gibson Guitar Board: Epi BIscuit - Gibson Guitar Board

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Epi BIscuit

#1 User is offline   poopcicle 

  • String Tickler
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 326
  • Joined: 15-June 11
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

Any active members have one or experience with one? I found one locally available and have been interested for a long time but not sure so looking for some user reviews/feedback! I have no slide experience do you think I will be able to get the resonator experience strumming chords? thanks again!
Epiphone
2013 1962 Sorrento Reissue Natural, 2012 Dove Pro, 2012 335 Pro Ebony, 2012 1960 Tribute Plus Faded Cherry Burst Les Paul, 2011 Thunderbird IV VS, 2011 Les Paul A/E Concert Ukulele, EP-1, Acoustic Regent 30
Gibson
50th Anniversary Tweedy Sg Blue Mist
Jet City Amplification
JCA20HV 20w Head,JCA20h 20w Head, JCA12s 1x12 Cab, JCA 12s+ 112 Cab,JCA24SV 2x12 Cab
Orange
CR50BXT Bass Amp
Earthquaker Devices
Hummingbird Trem, Dispatch Master verb/delay
TC Electronic
Gravy Tri Chorus, Hall of Fame Reverb, Vortex Flanger, John Pertucci multi effect, Ditto Looper
Greenhouse Effects
Retro Sky Delay
Voo Doo Labs
2 x Pedal Power2
Blackout Effectors
Blunderbuss Hybrid Fuzz, Whetstone Phaser/Ring mod
Walrus Effects
Ironhorse Distortion,Jupiter Fuzz
Mojohand
Rook Overdrive
Solidgold Fx
Zeta Drive OD, 2 x Buffer
Pedaltrain
Pedal Train jr and Pedaltrain 3
Way Huge
Green Rhino
KORG
Pithcblack Tuner @2
Electro-Harmonix
B9 Organ, Pitchfork polyphonic pitch shifter
[color="#000000"]




#2 User is offline   zombywoof 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5173
  • Joined: 24-January 08

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:07 AM

I have played resos for decades and have gotten to play a few of the Epis. They are probably as good as most of the other entry level offshore built resos out there.

Two things though. The stock cones, which are the heart of the resonator suck. To get the best sound possible out of the guitar you would need to replace them. Then again, you would probably want to do this with any of the lower end imports. The second is just a matter of personal preference. I found the nut too narrow for my taste when it came to slide and fingerpicking.
__________________________________________________


"I play so rough - I stomp 'em"
Bukka White

#3 User is offline   poopcicle 

  • String Tickler
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 326
  • Joined: 15-June 11
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:14 AM

View Postzombywoof, on 23 March 2012 - 08:07 AM, said:

I have played resos for decades and have gotten to play a few of the Epis. They are probably as good as most of the other entry level offshore built resos out there.

Two things though. The stock cones, which are the heart of the resonator suck. To get the best sound possible out of the guitar you would need to replace them. Then again, you would probably want to do this with any of the lower end imports. The second is just a matter of personal preference. I found the nut too narrow for my taste when it came to slide and fingerpicking.


ok thanks for your reply, the guy wants 100$ and it is in great condition, I am not sure if I will even use it enough to justify changing anything it may just be part of the collection and used for small overlays and different voicing on recordings like my banjo and mandolin!
Epiphone
2013 1962 Sorrento Reissue Natural, 2012 Dove Pro, 2012 335 Pro Ebony, 2012 1960 Tribute Plus Faded Cherry Burst Les Paul, 2011 Thunderbird IV VS, 2011 Les Paul A/E Concert Ukulele, EP-1, Acoustic Regent 30
Gibson
50th Anniversary Tweedy Sg Blue Mist
Jet City Amplification
JCA20HV 20w Head,JCA20h 20w Head, JCA12s 1x12 Cab, JCA 12s+ 112 Cab,JCA24SV 2x12 Cab
Orange
CR50BXT Bass Amp
Earthquaker Devices
Hummingbird Trem, Dispatch Master verb/delay
TC Electronic
Gravy Tri Chorus, Hall of Fame Reverb, Vortex Flanger, John Pertucci multi effect, Ditto Looper
Greenhouse Effects
Retro Sky Delay
Voo Doo Labs
2 x Pedal Power2
Blackout Effectors
Blunderbuss Hybrid Fuzz, Whetstone Phaser/Ring mod
Walrus Effects
Ironhorse Distortion,Jupiter Fuzz
Mojohand
Rook Overdrive
Solidgold Fx
Zeta Drive OD, 2 x Buffer
Pedaltrain
Pedal Train jr and Pedaltrain 3
Way Huge
Green Rhino
KORG
Pithcblack Tuner @2
Electro-Harmonix
B9 Organ, Pitchfork polyphonic pitch shifter
[color="#000000"]




#4 User is offline   zombywoof 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5173
  • Joined: 24-January 08

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

View Postpoopcicle, on 23 March 2012 - 10:14 AM, said:

ok thanks for your reply, the guy wants 100$ and it is in great condition, I am not sure if I will even use it enough to justify changing anything it may just be part of the collection and used for small overlays and different voicing on recordings like my banjo and mandolin!



As long as the guitar is in good playing condition, at that price I would say ya got nuttin' to lose.
__________________________________________________


"I play so rough - I stomp 'em"
Bukka White

#5 User is offline   bloozeguy 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 383
  • Joined: 21-April 08

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

I, too, would say at that price, go on ahead!
I've played the Biscuit a couple times in a shop and, frankly, I preferred it to the sound of the metal-bodied reso from Epi--and I've been playing a metal resonator since '73 (Dobro-brand). I have the same reservation about the nut width, though. And a word of warning: I've never been fond of the sound of flat-picked chord strumming on them. maybe it's better on a wood-bodied one, but on a metal body, it's been one of the worst guitar souonds I've experienced!
Now a word of encouragement: I also back up what was said about replacing cones. A buddy of mine has a Rogue wood-bodied resonator and got a National cone for it--all the difference in the world! At $100. for the Biscuit, youo've got some bread to burn on a good cone!

#6 User is offline   cunningham26 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 486
  • Joined: 27-April 09
  • LocationBoston

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

View Postbloozeguy, on 23 March 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

I've never been fond of the sound of flat-picked chord strumming on them. maybe it's better on a wood-bodied one, but on a metal body, it's been one of the worst guitar souonds I've experienced!


CMON NOW!



#7 User is offline   bloozeguy 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 383
  • Joined: 21-April 08

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:22 AM

View Postcunningham26, on 23 March 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

CMON NOW!



OK, so I missed this! Still, as a rule... Diff between him and me--he can play!

#8 User is offline   zombywoof 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5173
  • Joined: 24-January 08

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

Geez, I wouldn't cross the street to see that guy no matter what guitar he was playing.

Just because a spider bridge guitar has a "sweeter" sound than a metal body reso, you can still get down and dirty with one. But if you are looking for an in your face, brash guitar to play some dirt under your fingernails blues then there ain't a better instrument on the planet than a National Duolian.
__________________________________________________


"I play so rough - I stomp 'em"
Bukka White

#9 User is offline   bloozeguy 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 383
  • Joined: 21-April 08

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

View Postzombywoof, on 24 March 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

Geez, I wouldn't cross the street to see that guy no matter what guitar he was playing.

Just because a spider bridge guitar has a "sweeter" sound than a metal body reso, you can still get down and dirty with one. But if you are looking for an in your face, brash guitar to play some dirt under your fingernails blues then there ain't a better instrument on the planet than a National Duolian.

On the Duolian--+1!
And I really like the Bukka White quote! My hero!

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users