Gibson Brands Forums

Epi BIscuit

poopcicle

Any active members have one or experience with one? I found one locally available and have been interested for a long time but not sure so looking for some user reviews/feedback! I have no slide experience do you think I will be able to get the resonator experience strumming chords? thanks again!

I have played resos for decades and have gotten to play a few of the Epis. They are probably as good as most of the other entry level offshore built resos out there.

Two things though. The stock cones, which are the heart of the resonator suck. To get the best sound possible out of the guitar you would need to replace them. Then again, you would probably want to do this with any of the lower end imports. The second is just a matter of personal preference. I found the nut too narrow for my taste when it came to slide and fingerpicking.

I have played resos for decades and have gotten to play a few of the Epis. They are probably as good as most of the other entry level offshore built resos out there.

Two things though. The stock cones, which are the heart of the resonator suck. To get the best sound possible out of the guitar you would need to replace them. Then again, you would probably want to do this with any of the lower end imports. The second is just a matter of personal preference. I found the nut too narrow for my taste when it came to slide and fingerpicking.

ok thanks for your reply, the guy wants 100$ and it is in great condition, I am not sure if I will even use it enough to justify changing anything it may just be part of the collection and used for small overlays and different voicing on recordings like my banjo and mandolin!

ok thanks for your reply, the guy wants 100$ and it is in great condition, I am not sure if I will even use it enough to justify changing anything it may just be part of the collection and used for small overlays and different voicing on recordings like my banjo and mandolin!

As long as the guitar is in good playing condition, at that price I would say ya got nuttin' to lose.

I, too, would say at that price, go on ahead!

I've played the Biscuit a couple times in a shop and, frankly, I preferred it to the sound of the metal-bodied reso from Epi--and I've been playing a metal resonator since '73 (Dobro-brand). I have the same reservation about the nut width, though. And a word of warning: I've never been fond of the sound of flat-picked chord strumming on them. maybe it's better on a wood-bodied one, but on a metal body, it's been one of the worst guitar souonds I've experienced!

Now a word of encouragement: I also back up what was said about replacing cones. A buddy of mine has a Rogue wood-bodied resonator and got a National cone for it--all the difference in the world! At $100. for the Biscuit, youo've got some bread to burn on a good cone!

Geez, I wouldn't cross the street to see that guy no matter what guitar he was playing.

Just because a spider bridge guitar has a "sweeter" sound than a metal body reso, you can still get down and dirty with one. But if you are looking for an in your face, brash guitar to play some dirt under your fingernails blues then there ain't a better instrument on the planet than a National Duolian.

Geez, I wouldn't cross the street to see that guy no matter what guitar he was playing.

Just because a spider bridge guitar has a "sweeter" sound than a metal body reso, you can still get down and dirty with one. But if you are looking for an in your face, brash guitar to play some dirt under your fingernails blues then there ain't a better instrument on the planet than a National Duolian.

On the Duolian--+1!

And I really like the Bukka White quote! My hero!

Archived