Gibson Guitar Board: Strap question - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Strap question

#1 User is offline   jmb5150 

• Group: Members

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:47 AM

Hey, what would you guys reccomend as far as some type of strap lock without actually replacing the stock strap buttons. I have seen some type of washers but can't find any info.

#2 User is offline   DMichaelG 

• Shih Tzu Sorter
  • LocationNew England Proper

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

Try the rubber washers off of these:
Posted Image
Grolsch washers work well.
Klaatu Barada Nikto

#3 User is offline   RRIDER 

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

I bought a couple of the Dunlop ergo locks (link below) for a few dollars at Sam Ash. They had a bowl full of them on the counter. They work OK especially on an acoustic..I'm not sure I would trust them on my new LP Classic Custom (10+ lbs) I prefer the Schaller strap locks and have them on all my electrics.

http://www.samash.co...Piece_-49987036

#4 User is offline   vincentw 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Customer Service Team

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

View PostDMichaelG, on 23 March 2012 - 06:17 PM, said:

Try the rubber washers off of these:
Posted Image
Grolsch washers work well.

These are the shizzle! I have them on all my basses and guitars. Only downside is you have to leave the strap on when it's in the case which can be a pain.

#5 User is offline   Angellus 

• Underground Gibson Player
  • LocationLondon United Kingdom

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:39 AM

I agree Schallers are my no 1 choice, however if you really dont want to take a screw driver to your guitar then the Grolsch washers is the next best option.

the dunlop plastic round things have popped off of my guitar in the past
Gibson Left Hand Traditional Modified
Gibson Left Hand SG Modified
Gibson Left Hand ES 335 Modified

Guitar Repairs, Mods & Maintenance
Black Crow Guitars

#6 User is offline   davidl 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationOttawa, Canada area

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:22 AM

Schallers have never let me down.
I had to modify the depth of the guitar side strap lock on my historic to be able to use the original Gibson screw. 5 minute job with a drill press. Alternately, you could use the supplied screw and break off some tooth picks to make up for the smaller screw from Schaller.
Strap locks are a must for me. I had my studio and R0 fall off the strap in one night without the locks. No damage but quite a scare.
Dave
2010 Suhr Pro Series S3 custom shop Strat style (Mabel)
2011 Taylor 210CE 6 string acoustic (Ginger)
2010 Guild F212E 12 string acoustic (Pearl)
2010 Gibson ES-339 60/30 neck (JJ)
2008 Gibson 1960 Historic Re-issue(Les Paul bought new april 2010) (Ruby)
2008 Gibson Robot LP (Madison)
1978 MIJ LP copy (Amber)
1974 Giannini 6 string acoustic (Gina)
Marshall JMD 501
Crate V18

#7 User is offline   mcleodjoe 

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

Does anyone ever have trouble with the starp lock nuts coming loose on the starp part? I keep tightening them and hafta check every time I shoulder my guitars to make sure they are tight. Has anyone got any suggestions to stop it that they have have actually tried; fingernail polish, red threadlock...?

#8 User is offline   CoreyT 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationAuburn, WA.

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

I have two straps now fitted with the Schaller locks, and no problems with them coming loose.
My install for a few weeks back.
http://forum.gibson....-61-sg-reissue/

#9 User is offline   Angellus 

• Underground Gibson Player
  • LocationLondon United Kingdom

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:21 AM

View Postmcleodjoe, on 16 May 2012 - 10:26 AM, said:

Does anyone ever have trouble with the starp lock nuts coming loose on the starp part? I keep tightening them and hafta check every time I shoulder my guitars to make sure they are tight. Has anyone got any suggestions to stop it that they have have actually tried; fingernail polish, red threadlock...?

yeah

the screws supplied dont match the holes

dont use glue or a screw in your toolbox, what you do

go get a toothpick or cocktail stick cut it down to the depth of the screw hole then leave it in the screw hole and screw your screw in. This helps narrow the hole and creates a tighter thread without glue so its reversable
Gibson Left Hand Traditional Modified
Gibson Left Hand SG Modified
Gibson Left Hand ES 335 Modified

Guitar Repairs, Mods & Maintenance
Black Crow Guitars

#10 User is offline   musicman6283 

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:50 AM

View Postjmb5150, on 23 March 2012 - 06:47 AM, said:

Hey, what would you guys reccomend as far as some type of strap lock without actually replacing the stock strap buttons. I have seen some type of washers but can't find any info.

I would rather install strap locks than have my expensive guitar drop on the ground and get damaged..just my opinion.

#11 User is offline   Gun 

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:46 AM

Hi

I use a Levy leather strap and it's almost impossible to leave it on my reissue Les Paul if I want to pack it in the (original) case. Not thinking about the effects the leather chemicals might cause to the nitro :unsure: … but I haven't got any inclination to remove the strap every time only to wear it out either.

I remembered the strap locks of my Tele and bought a pair of Schallers. Only to find out that both screws don't fit to Gibsons. I don't want to solve that issue by using toothpicks or matches with dust and glue. I don't like glueing 'around' and not using any glue might be a little bit to risky.

Since I figured out that Les Pauls and strap locks (Schallers as well as all the others) don't fit I've been wondering that nobody is trying to solve that issue professionally. The amount of historic Gibsons might increase from day to day to make an industrial production more profitable … supposing Gibson is not interested in changing the screws for historic reasons (?)

Do you have any suggestions? [Any clue [biggrin] ]

Thanks, Gun

#12 User is offline   narm 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

Well, I have this one Attached Image: pw_prod_50PLJS02_main_1.jpg and recommend it. Didn't need to change the buttons, and the back of the system is rubber so it won't scratch the finish.

Joe Satriani Planet Lock Guitar Strap

#13 User is offline   scottishrogue 

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:46 AM

I have a solution to this problem (I think), but it would require being proficient with a "Phillips" head screwdriver. On my Gibson ES-347 TD, the tops of the strap buttons have a diamond shape that has been elongated. Even old straps have no chance of coming off because the diamond is perpendicular to the strap when slung over shoulder. I don't know if they are original equipment, but if not, I would think that most reputable guitar stores would have them in stock.

I have another question related to guitar straps. Back in the day, the strap was one-piece and we tied the strap to the neck just above the nut with a shoelace. But, I have several leather straps that are the 2-piece (one wide & one narrow) adjustable type. One strap I purchased recently is decorated with silver "Conchos" with turquoise stones in the center. Does the narrow part of the strap attach to the forward button usually somewhere on the heel of the neck (which hides the decoration) or the tail button, so the decoration faces forward? [confused]
Gibson ES-347 TD
Martin DXME
Martin D-35e (bearclaw)
Martin 000C Nylon
Martin 000-16 Custom
Martin DC Aura

"Music is Love in search of words."

#14 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

View Postscottishrogue, on 06 February 2013 - 12:46 AM, said:

I have a solution to this problem (I think), but it would require being proficient with a "Phillips" head screwdriver. On my Gibson ES-347 TD, the tops of the strap buttons have a diamond shape that has been elongated. Even old straps have no chance of coming off because the diamond is perpendicular to the strap when slung over shoulder. I don't know if they are original equipment, but if not, I would think that most reputable guitar stores would have them in stock.

I have another question related to guitar straps. Back in the day, the strap was one-piece and we tied the strap to the neck just above the nut with a shoelace. But, I have several leather straps that are the 2-piece (one wide & one narrow) adjustable type. One strap I purchased recently is decorated with silver "Conchos" with turquoise stones in the center. Does the narrow part of the strap attach to the forward button usually somewhere on the heel of the neck (which hides the decoration) or the tail button, so the decoration faces forward? [confused]

The narrow part of the strap, for me anyway, is always attached to the bottom pin, the wide part of the strap to the top.

About the screws and strap locks,, Schaller, IME work just fine with the strap button screws Gibson ships the guitars with.

#15 User is offline   Ryan H 

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

My Charvel came with Dunlop Straploks and they haven't failed me.

#16 User is offline   Cú Chulainn 

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

I've been thinking about getting some sort of straplock myself [smile]
been using the same "military-green" Fender strap for close to 13years [scared] [lol]
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

#17 User is offline   TA462 

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

View Postnarm, on 18 January 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

Well, I have this one Attachment pw_prod_50PLJS02_main_1.jpg and recommend it. Didn't need to change the buttons, and the back of the system is rubber so it won't scratch the finish.

Joe Satriani Planet Lock Guitar Strap

I've got a couple of the Planet Waves straps and really like them. I've used them on my Stratocasters.

#18 User is offline   NHTom 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationAlton, NH

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

As far as the Schaller types coming loose on the strap...........if they won't stay tight, a drop of "blue" Loctite (the removable kind) should do the trick.

as far as the screw size not fitting the hole......I've got Schaler and Dunlops on all of mine and if the original screw is different than the one with the strap locks, I search the local hardware store for a screw with the same thread size and a head size that will work with the locks........pretty simple solution.

NHTom
Always looking for BEDROCK amps, cabinets, and merchandise....let me know what you have!

2012 Gibson Les Paul Special Pro
1982 Gibson Sonex 180 Deluxe
2001 Gibson Les Paul Special
1997 Gibson Les Paul Studio Gem Amethyst
1985 Gibson Explorer Designer Series
1989 Charvel DK-085-SSH
1988 BC Rich ST3

Laney Cub 12R
Marshall Lead 12 stack

#19 User is offline   Lawnmowerman 

• Advanced Member
  • Location72.7 Miles from Gibson Guitars Corp Nashville Tn..

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:42 AM

I am use the Ernie Ball super locks.. I have them on all of my guitars...
God Bless Malcolm Young and his Family

#20 User is offline   guitarzan13 

• Guitar Addict
  • LocationLaGrange, Ga.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

I use schallers on all of my guitars. They are also the same as Fenders. Interchangable...
http://www.amazon.co...=fender+buttons
So if I need a set of buttons, I order these...Schallers and Fenders fit these!
http://www.amazon.co...r+strap+buttons

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users