Gibson Brands Forums

Jimmy Page Wiring Anyone?

AskingRansom

Alright, I've added a few bells and whistles, but the push/pull options (like in the coveted Jimmy Page wiring) seem to be reserved for thicker bodies than our beloved SG's, and I think there's a large enough demand for these upgrades that someone may have a golden answer to our tiny electronics cavity...

Long story short: Push/Pull Pots seem to be too big for the SG's body, how do some people achieve awesome Push/Pull wiring???

First, if they are stock pickups, they probably aren't four-conductor.

If that's not an issue, then try checking out this forum post:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189050

"Try StewMac for a lower profile push-pull pot...

+1. I've put push-pulls in several brands of SG's (including the 4 push-pull Jimmy Page system). I use the StewMac kind. It can be snug, but they've always fit for me."...

"By stewmac pots, you mean these?"

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron...pull_Pots.html

I've bought a lot of stuff from stewmac (Bigsby, roller bridge, position indicators and GraphTech nut to name a few), but I've read mixed reviews regarding their push/pulls with the sg. If it's a matter of a mm or two, I might just work it off the back of the cover plate. Either way, I suppose I'll order one and test it out before getting the rest of the parts for my diabolical creation; Some hot overwound pups with the 4 conductors plus ground. I'm playing with the idea of throwing in the black-ice passive overdrive or wiring up my own version. I want this thing to look like a generally stock SG Special Faded with Bigsby, but to have a big block V8 engine rumbling under the hood.

She has a few small nicks and dents and the pickguard has felt it's fare share of strum-abuse, but I think that's the way it should be. There shouldn't be a guitar that's too good to play with. I doubt THIS specific guitar will ever be famous or coveted, but every minor adjustment makes it that much sweeter, and it sure as hell feels and sounds better than any other I've ever played.

HOOYAH!

• 3 weeks later...

I've ordered a set of over wound pups with the four+ conductors along with the short shaft push/pull pots. Scheduled to be here tomorrow!! Been looking over every wiring diagram and tutorial on the internet. I can't wait for the coil splits, pups in series and reverse phase tones. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

• 2 weeks later...

So yeah, I've come to three conclusions:

1- The wiring schematic I used was a little off.

2- The knobs sit a little high on the shaft (even with the short shaft push-pulls)

3- The tone flexibility is absolutely amazing, even for a passive wiring.

The wiring schematic I used ended up making the reverse phase switch and the series/parallel switch work backwards (normal in UP position, activated in DOWN position)... Aside from that everything worked normally (I'm planning a partial re-wire to correct it anyhow). I shielded the control and pup cavities with conductive paint. Copper foil for the pickguard and back control plate. I was worried that the new pickups wouldn't live up to the old ones, but these overwounds are nice. A bit hot and dark, but when put into split mode are much brighter than the stock ones. the reverse phase gives an awesome trebly spank and if you want SUPER fat tone, the series push-pull really fills everything up. I've played with so many combinations that it feels like having a dozen guitars at the pull of a few switches. So many good tones to fit whatever you feel at the time. Just a small correction from the wiring and special adjusting of the push-pulls (mostly for looks) and she'll be just right. I don't recommend anyone jumping into a huge conversion like this without some soldering experience or you may end up regretting it, but if you've had some practice and done your research, it's totally worth it.

Easiest way is to open an account with photobucket or imageshack, upload it (has an option to resize the picture - even one geared towards forums) then paste the direct link in (yourimagelink) [/img}

Archived