Gibson Brands Forums

The young Sir Paul is hard to sing...But I gave it a shot.

tommyb

I struggled with the high harmony on this one. The main melody is OK. The highlight of this song for many players is McCartney's terrific bass line. He's underrated as a bassist in my opinion. In many of the early Beatles stuff the recording engineers didn't seem to care much about bass so you have to really listen. The recording I have of AML is a good example. He played this bass line while singing lead too...not easy. You can see this on the vids of their Ed Sullivan appearances in 1964. In my recording here I did not! [crying] [crying] [crying]

BTW...the bass here is my Epi EB-3 SG....the one that neck dives. I don't gig with it so it's not a problem. I put a strap on it one day out of curiosity and sure enough I let go of the neck and down it went...LOL!

All My Lovin'

Excellent stuff [thumbup]

Extremely well put together...

For me the Beatles are an endless source of inspiration...and as more knowledge unfolds Paul is revealed as the genius of the band (IMHO)

Agreed about the bass/vocal skills....in my experience if one rehearses/plays as much as the Beatles did it is just about achievable

Perhaps appropriate that the bass was not generally obvious in the Beatles' days

Later Wings music featured more upfront mixes to highlight the originality thereof...

V

:-({|=

Excellent stuff [thumbup]

Extremely well put together...

Thanks! It's fun.

For me the Beatles are an endless source of inspiration...and as more knowledge unfolds Paul is revealed as the genius of the band (IMHO)

Agreed about the bass/vocal skills....in my experience if one rehearses/plays as much as the Beatles did it is just about achievable

Yes and it's easy to forget that Paul, John and George had been playing together since the late 50's, several years before they hit the states. Back in my playing days I was never with a group that long. It would have made a tremendous difference.

Perhaps appropriate that the bass was not generally obvious in the Beatles' days

Later Wings music featured more upfront mixes to highlight the originality thereof...

V

:-({|=

It is good.

I am disappointed when bass players oversimplify the original bass of Paul. But it isn't noticeable in your playing. Although the vocal could be better if to sing again for some places (IMHO).

That's where we played the song I’m a Loser. And I was upset, our bass player very simplified bass line in the chorus. The original bass is very nice in the chorus, in jazz manner, the song very lost without it. And I finished this bass part by my electric guitar as a solo at home and added to the live record.

I love to make a little variety in cover versions. The beginning is a little of humor in the intro [rolleyes] .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjl0ghMnUsQ

Nice work guy's! Paul is tough to copy! Here's my short short version. I was trying not to wake up people sleeping in the next room. Just strumming my electric guitar with no amp, this is about the 3rd time I tried the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CnZqHw3fZk&feature=plcp&context=C4e90b27VDvjVQa1PpcFP2vwsR03MRvzhTrMD_g4hycoio_Kh3Bi0%3D

Here's my short short version. I was trying not to wake up people sleeping in the next room. Just strumming my electric guitar with no amp, this is about the 3rd time I tried the song.

Short, but it is beautiful. :)

RaysEpiphone, thanks.

Your voice and singing are well suited for this song.

I've also thought of this thing, but never found time to do it.

Nice work guy's! Paul is tough to copy! Here's my short short version. I was trying not to wake up people sleeping in the next room. Just strumming my electric guitar with no amp, this is about the 3rd time I tried the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CnZqHw3fZk&feature=plcp&context=C4e90b27VDvjVQa1PpcFP2vwsR03MRvzhTrMD_g4hycoio_Kh3Bi0%3D

Nice job....you have better control in the high range than I do. AND, I LOVE this McCartney song.

• 4 months later...

This is one of my top favourite Beatles songs. I love the construction and details in the song and each part from Paul's walking bassline, to John's exquisite, to George's great double stop solo and Ringo's terrific fills. I love the way the song starts from nothing (Paul had to play a single note on his bass before live performances to get the pitch for the first vocal note) and the shear number of different chords for one song! Start to finish an amazing composition and performance.

Here is my cover version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgd-OezDZKU

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of my top favourite Beatles songs. I love the construction and details in the song and each part from Paul's walking bassline, to John's exquisite, to George's great double stop solo and Ringo's terrific fills. I love the way the song starts from nothing (Paul had to play a single note on his bass before live performances to get the pitch for the first vocal note) and the shear number of different chords for one song! Start to finish an amazing composition and performance.

Here is my cover version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgd-OezDZKU

Not bad Doug!

Archived