Gibson Brands Forums

toggle switch

div

HI i am new here so be gentle with me!

I've tried a search but cant find anything, i have just brought a second hand epiphone les paul custom and found that the toggle switch doesnt work in the midlle position (only lets one pick-up work).

I need a replacment switch but dont know which one i need and where to get it from. Anyone got ideas of online suppliers/ have seen "short" and "long" advertised which do i need? and also i have seen something about which size nut i need <4mm or under >4mm?? switchcraft has been recommended is that the one to get?

I have looked and it was made in in 2008 and its a les paul custom silver burst.

Also any pitfalls when fitting it i should look out for?

I can't help with the type of switch you need (I don't have any Les Pauls) but here's a link to a good UK supplier > http://www.axesrus.com/axecart.htm I've bought from them for years and their stuff is good quality (name brand and own brand), they're reasonably priced and they deliver quickly. Whatever switch the guys here say you need it's pretty certain Axesrus will have one. Highly recommended.

I need a replacment switch but dont know which one i need and where to get it from. Anyone got ideas of online suppliers/ have seen "short" and "long" advertised which do i need? and also i have seen something about which size nut i need <4mm or under >4mm?? switchcraft has been recommended is that the one to get?

I have the same guitar. I am in the middle of obtaining the parts for a complete electronics upgrade (minus pickups). I think the nut size is referring to standard or deep thread nut, you would need the standard flush mount nut. The deep thread nut is for Gibby's with a thicker top. If the size refers to diameter, then I am not sure. But if the hole is too small, you can always bore it out with either a drill or take some emory cloth, roll it up, and sand the hole bigger until your new switch fits. Be sure to put a piece of tape on the guitar to keep the paint from chipping.

Welcome to the forum!

Hi I have tried the contact cleaner option but still nowt happened.

Then you have seen the switch and should have a fair idea of the size....Epiphone LPs are almost always short toggles, with very few exceptions.

Being across the pond I can't help much with suppliers.

My personal favorite switch is Switchcraft. As explained you would need to open the hole with a bit of sandpaper.

Otherwise, stock are metric.

One thing I have noticed is that over here switches are always categorized as short or long.

Many stores on your side call them "normal" or long. Same thing.

Also, any pitfalls when fitting it i should look out for?

1. If you end up enlarging the hole with sandpaper, put some masking tape over it first to protect the finish.

2. If you go with a Switchcraft, you will notice that the ground lug is on the opposite side from Epi orientation.

This makes no difference to most people most of the time.

It can, however, occasionally cause a congestion problem with wiring. Much depends on where the opening for the wire is in the switch cavity. It can also present a problem (sometimes) if you are reusing the original wires.

Although a long instead of short switch, (same procedure) I had such a problem with a Gibson recently.

This was my solution:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/67050-lp-redo/page__view__findpost__p__916360

Willy

I have seen corrosion built up to a point where I used 1500 grit sandpaper to get a good clean surface. Dielectric grease was thinly applied to contact surfaces to help prevent this. Saltwater environment and very acidic sweat were the issue.

Archived