Gibson Brands Forums

Finally played a Gibson CSM

I went down to the states for a couple days' r n' r, and happened into -- of all places -- a Best Buy store, where -- of all things -- they've decided to wade into the <ahem!> lucrative Music Retail sector.

So, I checked out their acoustic guitars room, and they had a Gibson Hummingbird, a SJ-200, a Songbird Deluxe, and a CSM. Interesting guitar. It's a shape Gibson has never done before, to my knowledge, and sported mahogany back and sides and neck, but a relatively shallow depth of the body. Based on previous comments by others, I was expecting it to suck tone, but was quite surprised when I played it, as it had a quite big voice and plenty of volume and projection! The guitar's action was low, and this may have contributed to the second biggest negative I found -- it buzzed on 2 or 3 strings in the lowest frets, and further up the neck a bit too. First worst thing was the price point at which Best Buy had the thing listed -- I would have sought out a lightly used Bozeman Gibson elsewhere, considering this one was not too far shy of the 4-figure range.

Overall, a nice sounding guitar, but needed better care and set up from the store (I wonder if THAT is expecting a bit much of BB?).

(As an aside, they also had quite a few Taylors, Epiphones, Martins, Yamahas in the acoustic room, and a wall full of electric stuff, including Les Pauls, Strats, etc., etc.)

Fred

I tried these at a local guitar store....and the fit and finish is actually better than the Bozeman's right next to them.....but the Bozeman's had the much better sound, and for a few hundred more, why not get the real thing, and give up on the perfect fit and finish......and I'm a Canadian.....but they are just not in the same league.....

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20Acoustic/Canada/SolidMahogany/GrandConcert/

The sad fact is that the guitars at Best Buy are not taken care of at all. Best Buy's idea of a guitar set up is to take the guitar out of the box and set it up on the wall. They just sell'em...that's all.

I've played several Gibson CSM's and while they are not bad guitars, I do feel they are overpriced and that the Epiphone Masterbuilts are better guitars.

Archived