Gibson Brands Forums

New Bob Colosi Pins Fitted

Del Nilppeznaf

I know there s the pinned posts at the top concerning this issue but.... well i posted here instead.

(out of interest I wonder how many ppl actually read the new posts up there...?... i have a look at the new performances now and again.. but prefer it when ppl post in main forum.. that new introduce yourself just takes up space for me..[tongue])

anyway

got the new pins from the states..and thought I'd take the opportunity to post another pic of my 'controversial' bridge with the Colosi's installed

P2210926.jpg

( stop looking for the join and look at the beautiful top and wood detail..haha )

Any difference in tone/ volume...IMHO yes definitely, and for the better. Undoubtedly this had some to do with the fact that I changed strings and went back to D'Arrdio EJ16-Lights after a brief experiment with some Martin 80/20 Lights.. but after the new pins and strings the HB never sounded so good [thumbup] ( just seems sweeter..lil louder even..and more sustain...harmonics at 5th ring very clearly..)

BBG if ya read this..I know you don't think it makes a snakes belly to the grounds bit of difference.. but ...in this case..I really think it has..

and don't it feel nice to have them natural materials in the belly B)

overall very impressed with The Bob Colosi pins...well worth it.

cheers

Yes, the way you describe the difference is pretty much how i hear the before and after results.

With the exception of the Martin all my guitars have had a proper boning .... saddle, pins and nut. :rolleyes:

those guys stewmac are selling bone nuts preshaped or whatever ready for fitting to gibsons and martins. got an email from them earlier .

yeah..definitely a plus of the TV line having the bone nut and saddle as standard. ( I am correct in thinking all TV's have this right?)

who don't love a good boning now [rolleyes]

Nice to read from another player that bone is good, and Colosi is appreciated.

I'm partial to bone, and have a set of Colosi bone saddle and pins on my J-200, which came from Bozeman with a bone nut, tusq saddle and plastic pins.

BTW, the beauty of that top and those bone pins make that joint invisible. . B)

Nice to read from another player that bone is good, and Colosi is appreciated.

I'm partial to bone, and have a set of Colosi bone saddle and pins on my J-200, which came from Bozeman with a bone nut, tusq saddle and plastic pins.

BTW, the beauty of that top and those bone pins make that joint invisible. . B)

Cheers BK [thumbup]

One of the things I really like about my J-45 is the roundness and lack of brightness of the tone.......so no incentive to bone up for me

Bone up, and use Red Bear picks (or Blue Chip, it you're Buc). Super mellow. Brightness is still there with Gibson/Fender style picks when/if you want it.

I wonder if anyone has actually done any audio response tests to determine if the material used for the bridge pins really does make a difference or not. I kinda doubt it makes that much of a difference, but I could be wrong.

I just picked up a new J45 and was considering new pins from Bob.

From the factory Gibson bridges are not slotted and therefore cannot use unslotted pins without a trip to the luthier. So most certainly the pins the OP ordered were slotted, and I recommend the same to you if you order unless you intend to slot your bridge.

Tusq is at the bottom for me just above plastic, I much prefer bone as a first choice. Unbleached cow bone has been praised by select luthiers or many years. Corian too done right is a worthy option as well.

From the factory Gibson bridges are not slotted and therefore cannot use unslotted pins without a trip to the luthier. So most certainly the pins the OP ordered were slotted, and I recommend the same to you if you order unless you intend to slot your bridge.

Thanks!

I was not sure if the OP slotted his bridge.

Archived