Gibson Brands Forums

6 string Gibson Banjo

Jim Leggett

My wife inherited a 6 string Banjo(?) a few years ago and have been trying to identify its manufacturing date and approximate value. Iside the head(?) there is a Warranty statement and it says "Gibson Mandolin-Guitar Company Kalamazoo Michigan. This is seems to be painted on rather than a sticker. There is also a serial number 11821 stamped in the wood handle(?) than comes down inside the head. Up on the handle were you adjust the strings it says "The Gibson" in pearl inlay. Below that is a Fleur-De-Lis symbol also in pearl inlay. Can anyone let me know what I have and if it is worth anything? I was planning on selling it in a garage sale in a couple of Weeks/

My wife inherited a 6 string Banjo(?) a few years ago and have been trying to identify its manufacturing date and approximate value. Iside the head(?) there is a Warranty statement and it says "Gibson Mandolin-Guitar Company Kalamazoo Michigan. This is seems to be painted on rather than a sticker. There is also a serial number 11821 stamped in the wood handle(?) than comes down inside the head. Up on the handle were you adjust the strings it says "The Gibson" in pearl inlay. Below that is a Fleur-De-Lis symbol also in pearl inlay. Can anyone let me know what I have and if it is worth anything? I was planning on selling it in a garage sale in a couple of Weeks/

Welcome to the forum, Jim. I would say that your banjo is almost certainly worth something! A lot of the value depends on the condition and originality of the instrument- the six string neck sounds a bit suspect. I know they did make a few of those however so it could very well be original.

Pictures are the best way for us to help you so post some if you have them. Thanks for sharing it with us.

What you have there is a c1923 Gibson Style GB (GB=guitar banjo) which was a popular instrument with guitar players that wanted to double on banjo. Tuned just like a guitar. Here's a catalog picture from 1923. It has to be at least pre-1924 when Gibson changed its name to Gibson, Inc.

e6a3619d43db35721f00a61804c37f1016192cbf.jpg

What you have there is a c1923 Gibson Style GB (GB=guitar banjo) which was a popular instrument with guitar players that wanted to double on banjo. Tuned just like a guitar. Here's a catalog picture from 1923. It has to be at least pre-1924 when Gibson changed its name to Gibson, Inc.

e6a3619d43db35721f00a61804c37f1016192cbf.jpg

Paul,

Looks to me like something I would call "the bluegrass guitar player's revenge".

I would be interested in buying it. my private email is david.bunn@mac.com

Archived