• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anybody like country?? I mean "real" country

#21 User is offline   Morkolo 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

I was basically brought up on country from George Jones, Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson to the guys that were big when I was a kid Alan Jackson, Vince Gill, Randy Travis, Keith Whitley.. it's all good to my ears. Another excellent country guitar picker that wasn't mentioned is Brent Mason, quite possibly one of the best in the world.

#22 User is offline   LPDEN 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationNY

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

Favorite contemporary player is Brad Paisley... The guy is one of the best guitar players on the ciruit out there in any genre...
-LPDEN----------
Gibson Electric Guitars:
2012 Gibson Jeff Tweedy SG | 2013 Elliot East Signature Tiki Firebird
FOR SALE: 2010 Gibson Custom Historic SG Special VOS P-90s - Faded Cherry

#23 User is offline   Bender 4 Life 

• Your Creepy Cousin
  • LocationAlabama the Beautiful

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:25 AM

View PostSupersonic, on 26 March 2012 - 12:29 PM, said:

I love me some Johnny Cash too. I just happen to have this little gem in my vinyl collection : )

Posted Image

Nowwww you're talkin' !!
Cash was the man that brought attitude to the stage.

I was raised on mostly Classical & Big Band at home, with "pop radio" now & then.....and at my Nannys (Moms' Mom) it was Country, and Gospel on Sundays....spent so much time w/Nan that the Country stuck more than anything else i was raised on.
when I feel like Country, I usually go w/the "Outlaw" genre.....some of it is just so real.....so, gritty...

IMPO this is likely the baddest Country song ever done, and I was raised in 'Bama, so I knows some Country!

and, since you mentioned "JC"...

i just had to......
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You won't hurt its feelings boy, play it like you stole it!

I'm a proud supporter of the A.S.P.C.A. and their "Guardian Angel" program.
Speaking up for those that can't speak for theirself,
A.S.P.C.A . We Are Their Voice !

#24 User is offline   Ciar 

• LocationLondon,England

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:59 AM

Johnny Cash is about it, i lean more to old jump blues from the 30's and 40's upto the 50's as well as blues.. but my musical tastes are vast :)

#25 User is offline   Whitmore Willy 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

Trouble with country boys is that none of them really know how to play guitar....
All they seem to do is strum!

Willy

#26 User is offline   RSDx 

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:24 AM

I can appreciate "old" country, but don't necessarily go out of my way to procure it....and I certainly don't care for the new stuff.
As for British rockers being into country, my man Elvis Costello sure seems to have a deep appreciation for "old" American country music, seems like he's very into Americana type stuff... and does it very well, despite not having a twangy voice ;) "The Living Elvis" is one of the greatest songwriters of my generation ...imho, of course

#27 User is offline   brad1 

• Resident Tin Whacker
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:23 AM

View PostWhitmore Willy, on 27 March 2012 - 07:52 AM, said:

Trouble with country boys is that none of them really know how to play guitar....
All they seem to do is strum!

Willy

Thanks for posting that video Willy, that was great! [thumbup]
Roy Clark and Vince Gill can tear up a fretboard pretty good too. :)
Life's Distractions/Pleasures:
2006 Epiphone Ebony G400, 1997 Epiphone Cherry SG Junior, 2007 Epiphone Cherry Dot, 1996 Fender Black MIM Traditional Stratocaster, 2008 VM Squier Olympic White SSH Telecaster,
2011 Jackson Gun Metal Gray JS32R Dinky (FR), 2014 Gibson Fireburst Satin SGJ14
1985 George Washburn Dreadnought, 2005 Ibanez Trans-Blue Burst GSR200 FM Bass, VOX AD30VT, Fender Super Champ XD. Acoustic B100 Bass Amp

My Music ----> http://soundcloud.com/bradley-e

#28 User is offline   Gaolee 

• Knuckle dragger
  • LocationThe Great North Wet

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

View PostSupersonic, on 26 March 2012 - 01:27 AM, said:

I'm not talking about the crap they play on the radio that they call "country" music these days. I'm talking about the real stuff. I usually just listen to rock, but some of these old tunes are just fantastic. My grandfather loved Hank Williams Sr. and I do too. I mean come on' how can you not like this song? The guy is just pouring his soul out. I guess I'm just a good 'ol boy from Tennessee, but I think there's as much heart and soul in this recording as there is in the early Robert Johnson stuff. I love music.

When our son was little, I would sing this to him to put him to sleep. Poor kid. It probably warped him for life.

Now, I think it would be fun to play a whole set about Cadillacs and another whole set about trains, and rain, and prison, and mama, and...
Thump to live.
Live to thump.

#29 User is offline   charlie brown 

• Advanced Member

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

Patsy Cline!! What a great voice, she had! Such a tragic loss, too! [crying]

CB

#30 User is offline   Hemingway Jones 

• LocationBoston

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:49 AM

View PostLPDEN, on 26 March 2012 - 08:24 PM, said:

Favorite contemporary player is Brad Paisley... The guy is one of the best guitar players on the ciruit out there in any genre...

Agreed. Brad Paisley is incredible; from his clean technique, tastely phrasing, and tone control. Awesome player.

From reading this thread, it seems pretty obvious that many of the people who do not like country haven't really been exposed to it. I wish I could have a beer with you in front of iTunes! It's a big big genre covering everything from old school traditional to modern rock-influenced to blue grass and mountain music. There are some blue grass pickers that are astoundingly fast and tasteful.

Personally, I love blue grass and much of modern country. Jason Aldean is awesome. I just came back from his show in the Meadowlands... Do people still call it that?!

My girlfriend and I joke that all of the metal guitarists have found homes in country because it is the only guitar-based popular music anymore! There's truth to it as well; Aldean, Rodney Atkins, Luke Bryan, they all have hard rock backing bands.
2011 Les Paul Standard with figured maple top in honey burst with coil taps on '57 PUs
2011 Gibson Midtown Standard in black.
2011 AJ Pro Acoustic in vintage sunburst
2011 Fender American Standard Telecaster in 3-tone sunburst with white pearloid pick guard
1997 Fener America Standard Stratocaster in cream
Manuel Rodriguez Classical Acoustic
Gibson Jam Master Standard-A Mandolin in Sheraton brown
Vega Bowl-back Mandolin circa 1900
Marshall Class 5 Amp
Fender Mustang I (I live in a condo building; I have neighbors!)

#31 User is offline   mrw1960 

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

I like this local girl that got big before her tragic death. Her music is the only Country I listen to. Classic Country. But I love "Texas Swing". Great Steel Guitar.

Michael
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users