Gibson Brands Forums

1958 LP Jr. question

scw59

Yes, $1k to $1.5k could be a fair price for a player '58 DC Junior. But without seeing it and playing it, you're groping in the dark, so who really knows what's "fair". Any Junior from the 50's ... single-cut or double-cut, early or late, sunburst or cherry or TV finish, can sound awesome. While very cool, I don't think a '58 DC cherry finish sits alone at the top. Some guys really prefer the sound of the '54s and '55s. Other prefer late 50's SC TV's.

If this guitar has a Bigsby or Vibrola or even a Maestro, that's not so bad but hopefully it doesn't have a Floyd Rose or Kahler.

If resale value is a part of your equation you'd better off IMO finding a clean original 50's Junior, perhaps with play wear, but without any issues or mods. They're around.

Vintage Juniors and Specials still command attention, you already know that, especially TV Juniors and Specials. So you can't expect to get away with Melody Maker kind of money ... that won't fly. You know how it goes, can't afford a real PAF Burst? Well then get a P-90 Junior and have some big fun. There are dealers out there with nice clean original Juniors and Specials from the 50's ... lots of play wear, maybe some dings (but no breaks or cracks), some back of neck wear, perhaps re-fretted, maybe without the original faux-gator case ... that WILL entertain offers and make deals. Asking price is just a number, but you have to be realistic as well. A good place to demo Juniors would be at one of the big guitar shows (i.e. Dallas or Philly). Be sure to get an approval period.

I just noticed that one of the big vintage dealers currently has a '59 Les Paul Special double-cut in "extra-fine" condition that they have listed at $9500 and a '59 Les Paul Junior 3/4 in "excellent" condition that is listed at $3500. They did not have any '58's at present. You might want to contact Blue Book Publications and pick-up a copy of their Blue Book of Electric Guitars. It breaks current market values of an instrument model down by condition.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to follow up on the thread and let everyone know that I decided to pass on the guitar. It was modified to accomodate the trem and that was simply too much for me. I think the price was very fair in the end, but it is a better opportunity for a dealer to explore. I did appreciate the advice and opinions that were shared. You cannot possibly know every nuance of these great instruments and the info is interesting and educational at the same time.

Too bad it didn't work out for you, but sounds like you made the right decision.

I had, at one time a '60 JR. Took it in the dark of the night trade. shouldn,t have don ethat! Turned out the serial # had been defaced...'stolen'?? but most of all the neck was way too thin for my liking! Had a really faded top compared to the back. Could never get 'close' to that guitar. Ended up trading out within a couple years...a '63 Firebird I believe...

Archived