Gibson Brands Forums

neal casal - bird with no name

dubstar

my man neal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWiFTQNb-FY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88T7MNImfFI

“Casal’s latest might well be his strongest so far. Memorable tunes and reflective lyrics, more worldly-wise than weary. These are substantial songs…” – MOJO

The first line of the title track on Neal Casal‘s tenth studio effort Sweeten The Distance says much about where the storied singer, songwriter and guitarist finds himself in his career: “Nothing’s gonna stop you now, everything you want is coming in good time.” After 20 plus years of writing songs, recording albums and touring the world, there’s a confidence and patience present in his latest work that reveals an artist in full creative flight. Produced by Thom Monahan (Fruit Bats, Devendra Banhart, Vetiver), Sweeten The Distance is indeed a defining moment in Casal’s discography. Rich acoustic textures and sophisticated melodies of songs like “Bird With No Name,” “Need Shelter” and “Gyrls of Wynter” give way to a psyched-out ambience on “White Fence Round House” “Feathers for Bakersfield” and “How Quiet It Got.” The depth of the production, with its purposefully layered sounds and oceanic atmospherics, makes Sweeten The Distance as much a multi-dimensional headphone experience as a soul-stirring modern songwriter record. And as such, Casal emerges as an essential voice in the New Cosmic California movement.

In addition to his critically acclaimed solo work, Neal Casal made a name for himself as the lead guitarist in Ryan Adams & The Cardinals, with whom he recorded four albums: Easy Tiger (which reached #7 on the Billboard chart), Follow the Lights, Cardinology and III/IV. Currently, he serves as a central component of the Chris Robinson Brotherhood with whom he contributes lead guitar and vocal harmonies. The band toured throughout 2011 and is working on their debut studio recording. Over the last year, Casal has also added guitar and vocals to Ryan Adams Ashes & Fire, Fruit Bats Tripper, The Jayhawks Mockingbird Time, Vetiver The Errant Charm and a forthcoming recording by Beachwood Sparks.

Upcoming Shows

April 5 | Tin Angel | Philadelphia, PA

April 11 | Rockwood Music Hall (Stage 2) | New York, NY

http://www.nealcasal.com

Dubstar,..yes "Sweeten the Distance" is his best album yet.

But how sure are you that his J-50 is in fact a '57? Could be any thing pre '68 really with that large guard, no??? or am I missing something....

[huh]

BTW - I love the sound of his J-50 in the above video. Sounds to me like he's dropped down a step. You see those strings moving?

"But how sure are you that his J-50 is in fact a '57? Could be any thing pre '68 really with that large guard, no??? or am I missing something...."

I personally can't, but neal thinks it is a '57...purchased in Japan and the provenance is known...I've got a few photos I can post later

"whats this taken from ?"

avatar sessions...live in studio poromo for "easy tiger"...high quality audio circulates, but I've only seen the video clips on youtube (there are several more and they are all good)

I personally can't, but neal thinks it is a '57...purchased in Japan and the provenance is known...I've got a few photos I can post later

Interesting,...He must have paid a fortune for it in Japan. I was over in Tokyo a few months ago and the US made guitars were super pricey. Not surprising really...

:huh:

"But how sure are you that his J-50 is in fact a '57? Could be any thing pre '68 really with that large guard, no??? or am I missing something...."

It's almost certainly the "wider" (1 11/16") nut, which probably means no later than '63 or '64. It certainly has a big voice when tuned down.

It's almost certainly the "wider" (1 11/16") nut, which probably means no later than '63 or '64. It certainly has a big voice when tuned down.

Yeah....mine's a '64 Nick with a nice 1 11'/16" . I think they started getting those 1 9'/16" narrow nuts around 1965....

Neal's a big man so I'd image his most probabley also has a pretty chunky neck.....

[smile]

"He must have paid a fortune for it in Japan."

it was expensive, but he sold some other guitars when he made the decision

I can't find the original files right now, so this is the best I have...

I've re-posted your photos,..I hope you don't mind me doing so. She really is a beauty!!!

nc_gibson3.jpg

nc_gibson.jpg

Wow,..you know a lot about the history of this guitar Dubstar, did you sell it to Neal?

[smile]

• 1 month later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0YEjOdq4wE

Neal Casal record release event for the new album "Sweeten the Distance" (HD version)

Rockwood Music Hall, New York City 4/11/12

Neal Casal - guitar, vocals, songs

Jon Graboff - pedal steel, guitar

Jeff Hill - bass

John Ginty - wurlitzer organ

Dan Fadel - drums

Gary Waldman - management & equipment

White Fence Round House

Feathers For Bakersfield

Hereby the Sea

So Far Astray

Sweeten the Distance

The Gyrls of Wynter (studio)

http://www.nealcasal.com

http://www.theroyalpotatofamily.com

filmed and edited by john aka dubstar

Thanks for filming this and posting it John.

Great video despite the bloody chatty people in the background. WTF!!!!! Why do people go to a Record Release Party and just drink and chat away at the bar?????? It drives me crazy!!!!!

[cursing]

Archived